Walter Payton
Jim Brown was a royal asswhole

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Herschel walker gets too much love on this board. Did you guys forget the all time leading rusher is a gator and Herschel walker was his back up at one time?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
t-gator;n213050 said:
Herschel walker gets too much love on this board. Did you guys forget the all time leading rusher is a gator and Herschel walker was his back up at one time?

I agree 100% T. He was very good but as I said earlier he couldn't hold Bo's jock, or E. Smith's, Barry Sanders, Billy Sims, Earl Campbell and several others IMO.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
oxrageous;n212981 said:
Both of those runners would have been completely dominant in any era. They had an astounding mixture of power and speed.
I agree with you. But when you look at the relatively puny guys they were amassing their stats against you have to believe it would be different against today's defenses.

Look at that UGA defense. The biggest guy by far was 264lbs. And they were the National Champions. Imagine what Vandy or Kentucky's guys were back then.

Now you have linebackers like Dont'a Hightower and Brandon Spikes that size. DT's are 300+, DE's like Fowler are 270.

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
AlexDaGator;n213000 said:
Couple of points:

The two best NFL teams in the 90s were the Cowboys and the Niners. The Cowboys had the biggest OL in the league, the Niners had the smallest. Both offenses were effective in running the ball and pass blocking for their QB. Both lines were very good at what they did. The Cowboys' linemen couldn't start on the Niners OL and vice versa. But both were excellent in the same era despite their size differences.

Two identical twins, Tiki and Ronde Barber. One was a CB, the other was a RB. By the end of their careers, their bodies were significantly different. That's the same DNA in the same era with the same nutrition and strength and conditioning. Because they played different positions, they developed their bodies in different ways. So do you think that maybe if Jim Brown, Herschel, or Bo were playing today, their bodies might not look different?

I suspect in today's game, Herschel might be a pass rushing LB and an absolutely dominant one at that. What Tackle would be able to backpedal fast enough to pick him up streaking around the edge on his way to the QB? And even if one did, Herschel is strong enough to toss him aside. Herschel was less fluid than Bo, more of a brute. Bo would still be a RB and in the pro bowl regularly. He had a better first step and was just slicker. But remember, Herschel had a ton of yardage catching the ball out of the backfield and on KO returns. Maybe Herschel would be a modern TE? Anyway.

Let me try to put this in perspective for you. Herschel and Bo were just a tad smaller than Matt Jones. So in today's game, they would be about as good as Matt Jones, right? WRONG.

Herschel ran track at UGA too. He was on their SEC Championship 4x100 relay team. UF has had RBs run track too, guys like Demps and Rainey. Not guys Matt Jones' size. Herschel and Bo were great football players, period. And if you think Herschel was fast, Bo ran a 4.12. Let that sink in for a moment. 4.12. Rainey ran a 4.45 at the combine which is very fast for a RB.

So, uh, yeah. Those boys could play today and be dominant (at several positions).

Alex.

agree on Bo. If here weren't injured he could have been the most talented player ever to play. Wasn't he the second faster 40 ever and he was strong too. They say most people would have shattered a knee but his legs were so strong the knees held and the hip blew out by sheer physics. The guy was so talented he played MLB with an artificial hip.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Bo Jackson is hands down the greatest multisport athlete of all time and probably the most naturally gifted ever as well. There should be a warning label on bleach that says "Do not consume while breast feeding. Doing so may result in your child posting stupid sh!t on the internet, like claiming Bo Jackson would be considered average if he played football in 2015." Just my humble opinion

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Ray Finkle;213201 said:
Bo Jackson is hands down the greatest multisport athlete of all time and probably the most naturally gifted ever as well. There should be a warning label on bleach that says "Do not consume while breast feeding. Doing so may result in your child posting stupid sh!t on the internet, like claiming Bo Jackson would be considered average if he played football in 2015." Just my humble opinion

:lmao:

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
Ray Finkle;n213201 said:
Nothing about you is humble Ray.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
I don't know, you may be correct on Walker. Bo was pretty freaking awesome, though, so I would disagree with you on him. I think he would have gone down as one of the best athletes ever were he not injured. Anytime you have a talented RB that is 230 or so pounds, is fast and is talented, I don't care if the D line averages 220 pounds or 300 pounds, it's going to be difficult to stop the size/speed/talent combo that Bo had.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
3 pages and finally someone poses a legitimate counter point other than "you're stupid".

​It's like having a conversation with Beavis and Butthead around here sometimes.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Lest we forget, although that 1980 WLOCP game is remembered ad nauseum for the Lindsay Scott play and Munson's call of it, Walker went 37 for 238 yards in that one against us, with a 72 yard burst for a TD on the third play from scrimmage.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorTAG;n213234 said:
3 pages and finally someone poses a legitimate counter point other than "you're stupid".

​It's like having a conversation with Beavis and Butthead around here sometimes.

There were good points made earlier, but you chose to ignore them.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
WobbleGator;n213317 said:
Post 16 and 13 made good points that you never addressed.
Post 16 did make some good points but it was mostly centered around NFL comparisons. My discussion was more about how those 2 made names for themselves against very small defensive players in college as compared to today's defensive players, and would they have the same results if they played in college today.

Post 13? I never take anything that guy says seriously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.