Hevesy’s Heavies 2019

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Probably will be one of the team strengths for 2019. Hevesy showed me that he can coach. With improved talent, he should have no issues coaching them up. He did more with less this year.
If he replaces all those players and still has a good line, then Hevesy is a very good coach.

LurkingGator

Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2016
Gouriage. I have no idea about him. He reminds me so much of Patchen and Sharpe. Super talented guys you expected to be elite but just were not.

I don’t know. I’m probably wrong.

Let's hope that's not the case. As a Gator fan, it feels like we have had more than our share of disappointments with highly touted linemen, and a lot of pleasant surprises.

I remember from a radio show, before the season started, where a caller who was associated with Gouraige's high school called in and asked if hey would be playing as a true freshman. The answer was basically that he was looking good so far for a true freshman, but that we had enough depth that he was going to be able to redshirt and develop.

So he wasn't ready to play OT in the SEC, or was just not better than the guys ahead of him. But after a year in Savage's program, a year the training table, and with about 5 guys leaving, I'm looking for him to vie for a starting tackle job.

I found this quote, from this article: Florida freshmen may get opportunity vs. Idaho

"Richard Gouraige, OL: Offensive line coach John Hevesy said Gouraige is a tackle who has really started coming on in recent weeks. Seeing playing time the rest of the season could set him up to compete for a possible starting role in the spring."​

He saw action against Charleston Southern and Idaho. I don't see it as a bad thing that he didn't play more as a true freshman. For all of his failings, Butters didn't fail as badly at OL roster management as Muschamp, who failed as badly as it as you can fail. You shouldn't have to play freshman on the OL.

Meyer's last year, while mailing it in:
2010: Chaz Green, Ian Silberman (Only two, it was Meyer's last year of recruiting, but Muschamp should have compensated by recruiting OL harder)

Muschamp:
2011: Trip Thurman, Tommy Jordan (Only two again, could still be blamed on Meyer as it was Muschamp's first class, but now you have recruited 4 prospects in two years at OL)

2012: D.J. Humphries, Jessamen Dunker (Only two again! By now, Jordan is about to be out of football for medical reasons and Dunker is about to be kicked off the team for stealing a scooter, leaving 3 OL on the roster for 3 yeas worth of recruiting)

2013: Trenton Brown (JUCO), Roderick Johnson, Cameron Dillard, Octavius Jackson, Trevon Young (finally 5 warm bodies at least, but the best prospect was Trent Brown as a 3 star JUCO. Rod Johnson was promising before medical issues, but he was still a 3* prospect)

2014: David Sharpe, Nolan Kelleher, Andrew Mike, Travaris Dorsey, Kavaris Harkless, Drew Sarvary (6 this time and Sharpe was a 4*, but still not much effort shown here based on overall quality - both by recruiting ratings and how they panned out in real life)

Butters takes over:
2015: Martez Ivey, Tyler Jordan, Brandon Sandifer, Fred Johnson, Nick Buchanan
2016: Brett Heggie, Jawaan Taylor, Stone Forsythe
2017: Kadeem Telfort, T.J. Moore (two 4* guys)

Taylor was a gem and there was nobody on the roster better than him when he arrived because the situation sucked. As roster management and the player development gets fixed permanently, I think that we'll be redshirting a lot of our offensive linemen. Maybe not top rated guys who are being recruited based on early playing time, but that will be to appease them more than just because they are more ready to play than the guys ahead of them.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
At least we've got a bunch of redshirt sophomores and juniors stepping in. It might take a few games to gel but I think we should be pretty talented there.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Let's hope that's not the case.
That posts deserves more than one like. Thanks for the content.

Here are the returners:

55 Noah Banks OL 6-5 309 Sr
56 Jean Delance OL 6-4 313 R-Jr
59 T.J. McCoy OL 6-1 305 R-Sr
61 Brett Heggie OL 6-4 314 R-Jr
62 GriffinMcDowell OL 6-3 295 R-Fr
66 Nick Buchanan OL 6-3 291 R-Sr
67 Chris Bleich OL 6-6 321 R-Fr
72 Stone Forsythe OL 6-7 323 R-Jr
75 T.J. Moore OL 6-5 300 R-So
76 Rich Gouraige OL 6-4 303 R-Fr.

?? Stewart Reese OL 6-5 340 Jr?

I just don't see a freshman starting. I just don't. It's not what Mullinz does, and he tends to start upperclassmen unless it is unmistakeably clear the underclassmen are better.

My first wild ass guess is: Stone, Heggie, Buchanan, McCoy, and Delance. I'm expecting the first three of course. Not so sure if they dislike McCoy or if he was just hurt all year.

If Stewart Reese is eligible, he is a given at Right Tackle I suspect, having already started at Cowbell at RT for Hev and Mullinz. He can play guard and tackle per Cowbell site and was considerd a guard out of high school. Stewart Reese - Football - Mississippi State University Athletics

Not sure what to think of TJ Moore. Where has he been? Bleich and Gourage are "their guys", so maybe they are on the watch list.

Last edited:

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
Stewart Reese is a RS Soph. He is also an academic honor guy. Wants to be a doctor. Maybe they were referring to after next year, but I was under the impression that he'd graduate this year.
Maybe he can claim racism like Justin Fields, transfer and play right away.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
One thing that stood out for me this year was the durability of our OLine, with Heggie being the only real injury.

Technique with Hevesy may play a part in that, but I'm giving a big nod to Savage as well.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I'm not seeing where it is rumored Stewart Reese will transfer.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It has been around. The Reese boys committed to Mullinz at Cowbell then Little David Reese here at Florida. Clearly Mama trust Mullinz. Stewart Reese has been in school for three years so it's not a stretch to believe that he's graduating.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Meyer's last year, while mailing it in:
2010: Chaz Green, Ian Silberman (Only two, it was Meyer's last year of recruiting, but Muschamp should have compensated by recruiting OL harder)

Muschamp:
2011: Trip Thurman, Tommy Jordan (Only two again, could still be blamed on Meyer as it was Muschamp's first class, but now you have recruited 4 prospects in two years at OL)

While I completely agree with your overall point, OL recruiting was atrocious for many years, I don't think it's fair to say Urbs mailed in the 2010 class. He may have only signed two OL's, but both were 4*s (and top 100 players - Green was shockingly #43) and overall it was the No. 2 class. The next year, which ultimately became Muschamp's transition class, he totally mailed in.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Hate it when i do that. My response was:

While I completely agree with your overall point, OL recruiting was atrocious for many years, I don't think it's fair to say Urbs mailed in the 2010 class. He may have only signed two OL's, but both were 4*s (and top 100 players - Green was shockingly #43) and overall it was the No. 2 class. The next year, which ultimately became Muschamp's transition class, he totally mailed in.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
More was meantioned early on. The talk may have even stopped in the summer. The grad transfer thing typically isn’t publicized like regular recruits for obvious reasons. Like when the Louisville DLineman was first rumored to us, UL tried to hush is very quickly. I think most of the time, there is no more than a week of rumor build up. Fields will be an obvious exception.

I forget why the Reese thing got out during the off-season. Maybe it was simply do to the coaching change. Regardless, we’ll probably find out soon enough

leogator

May 5, 2018
With regard to Stewart Reese, his momma loves Dan, she wants both her boys in one place, he's an excellent student that wants to become a doctor and MSU does not have a med school and yes he is graduating this spring.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
With regard to Stewart Reese, his momma loves Dan, she wants both her boys in one place, he's an excellent student that wants to become a doctor and MSU does not have a med school and yes he is graduating this spring.
And........he already knows the playbook, so spring ball isn't as crucial

LurkingGator

Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2016

You are right, I was getting his last class mixed up with his last year of recruiting. And one year with two 4* guys when it wasn't an major need is something that can easily be caught up over the course of the next two recruiting cycles. That bit of bad roster management is all on Muschamp.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You are right, I was getting his last class mixed up with his last year of recruiting. And one year with two 4* guys when it wasn't an major need is something that can easily be caught up over the course of the next two recruiting cycles. That bit of bad roster management is all on Muschamp.
They had two kids lined up for 2011 also.

You really need four-six OL EVERY year. The attrition or failure to develop rate for OL is tremendous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator