High expectations for freshman DB Chauncey Gardner

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
How much does this kid play this year? It looks like he'll get most of his PT at Safety, but was recruited as a CB. Does he eventually become a CB?

-----

chaunceygardner.jpg

High expectations for freshman DB Chauncey Gardner at Florida

http://gridironnow.com/freshman-db-chauncey-gardner-florida/

One thing to like about young players who arrive on campus with big expectations is that they seem to take ownership of their positions sooner. At least that’s the hope. In the case of Florida freshman Chauncey Gardner, he not only seems to be taking ownership of his position at Florida, he also has no problem with defending the Gators’ “DBU” moniker.

When Another School Claim DBU ….. pic.twitter.com/QqssvAxLLT

— Chauncey Gardner Jr. (@StillDat_) June 1, 2016

Gardner recently took to social media to let his followers know that Florida will uphold its status as the SEC’s real “DBU.” The debate is custom-built for the internet age, and it will come to a head when Florida hosts LSU on October 8. Whoever wins the game gets the edge in the conversation, regardless of secondary play.

All that said, how good can Gardner be in his first season at Florida? He’s built similar to Vernon Hargreaves and Jalen Tabor at 5 feet 11 and 205 pounds. Can he have a freshman season as productive as Tabor’s? Tabor had 31 tackles, an interception, eight pass breakups, two sacks, and four tackles for loss as a true freshman in 2014, when he was a part-time starter. Tabor (and Hargreaves the season before) lived up to his five-star recruiting ranking as a freshman.

Gardner, from Cocoa (Fla.) High, was a four-star recruit, but still was a national top-50 player overall and considered one of the top five cornerbacks in the nation; thus, expectations are high. There also appears to be ample opportunity for playing time – but at safety, not corner. Gardner saw most of his time this spring at safety, and while Marcus Maye returns as a starting safety, there is one open spot with Keanu Neal’s departure. Juniors Marcell Harris and Nick Washington likely will vie with Gardner for that spot.

Gardner was one of two early enrollees in the secondary, and coach Jim McElwain said during the spring that Gardner and cornerback McArthur Burnett impressed him. “The good thing I saw was that it wasn’t too big for either one of them,” McElwain said. “They were out there competing and having fun. They weren’t a step slow. They were reacting, which really means they came here on a mission, and that’s good to see.”

As with Gardner, Maye – who is expected to be one of the nation’s tops safeties this season – is from Brevard County; Maye is from Melbourne (Fla.) Holy Trinity. He was impressed with Gardner during the spring.

“He’s real aggressive,” Maye told reporters. “You can put him out wide at corner or back deep at safety or in the slot. He’s very versatile. You can put him anywhere. He’s aggressive. He’s a great-special teams guy.”

If Gardner can continue his aggressive play and learn from Tabor and Maye – as well as secondary coach Torrian Gray and coordinator Geoff Collins – his outlook could be exceptional. He doesn’t need to be Vernon Hargreaves or Jalen Tabor. He just needs to be Chauncey Gardner. So far, that’s worked out well for him.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks for posting BMF!
Chauncey's my favorite player of all the incoming freshmen. He's a stud and will do well at safety and as a man-to-man cover corner.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think he grabs a starting safety spot. He could very well be a starting corner next year opposite Wilson.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
“The good thing I saw was that it wasn’t too big for either one of them,” McElwain said.

Too big is an interesting choice of words for McArthur Burnett. I really hope someone better than Washington or Harris steps up.

Last edited:

GatorBart

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Too big is an interesting choice of words for McArthur Burnett. I really hope someone better than Washington or Harris steps up.
MB is light for sure and struggled in the spring game at times. Even though he was an EE, he's gotta be a candidate for a RS just to get some meat on him.
Chauncey is the guy that will supplant Washington/Harris, IMO, hopefully sooner rather than later.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think Chauncey was a top 5 CB on some sites and a top 5 safety on others. I think we've got a gamer.

I would also like to see McWilliams get some reps. He seemed to be catching on from what i saw in the Spring game. Still a ways to go, but I think he could be serviceable.

Burnett is from Pahokee and I think we'll get the best out of him that we can because I think he'll have drive and a chip on his shoulder. However, i really don't know what his ceiling will actually be.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think he grabs a starting safety spot. He could very well be a starting corner next year opposite Wilson.
If Wilson returns next year. Hope he does but I can see him having a big year and leaving early.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
If Wilson returns? Its so weird that the mindset has become "if Im a starter, and Im not Antonio Riles, I should leave early to the NFL .". At some point we are going to have to develop some teamwork and concern about championships, not just running toward the door as soon as someone projects you to be a 5th round draft choice.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Burnett is from Pahokee and I think we'll get the best out of him that we can because I think he'll have drive and a chip on his shoulder. However, i really don't know what his ceiling will actually be.

He cant touch his ceiling and probably cant even see it. He is three inches, at least, shorter than Freeon and weighs like 148. He cant ride many rides at Disney.

Last edited:

GatorBart

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think Chauncey was a top 5 CB on some sites and a top 5 safety on others. I think we've got a gamer.

I would also like to see McWilliams get some reps. He seemed to be catching on from what i saw in the Spring game. Still a ways to go, but I think he could be serviceable.

I liked what I saw out of McWilliams as well and believe he could step right in next year if Q decides to go pro with Tabor.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Just think on what's being said here = Wilson is good enough for the NFL
soon and also Gardner may push for his spot this very season. That's quality enuf
to keep a super-fresh D backfield. Wait, are some non-pumpers subconsciously pumping?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.