His way out? Mac claims death threats on coaches and players: "It is what it is."

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I don’t think Mac’s a liar personally. Idk what to believe here, but I do know this is another example of him handling a situation poorly.

He’s over his head, I don’t doubt that. If true though, those who sent threats should be revealed and punished.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I really don't know what to believe here. Which players are being threatened... is it the guys on suspension? Are some of them being threatened that if they talk about where they got the credit cards... ?

Maybe it doesn't have anything to do with football... maybe it is McElwain's exit strategy. I don't remember this happening during 2013 and that year was just as bad if not worse.

Maybe we have some sick fans who are really f'd up and are doing this? This is a big fan base... I wouldn't bet against it having some truly sick crazy people in it.

I don't doubt that there are some bad people within our fan base. But I would venture to say this entire story is somewhat embellished, with the truth probably being somewhere in the middle. He was over the top about Irma, reportedly a little disingenuous with the Grier episode, and flat out exaggerated the interest in our OL coach position(phone is blowing up) last year.

You could take something as simple as jdh's gif with Spurrier pointing a gun and saying "get off my field", and call that a threat. If I were to guess, this whole thing is more likely something along those lines. If he's using it to rally the players, then hopefully it works. But even if it's completely true, he could've handled so much better and actually earned the respect of the fans, instead of further alienating himself.

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
Whatever the truth is, it is a sad state of affairs for Gator football. All of the fun has gone out of it for me. And once again, my thanks to Jeremy Foley for taking us down this path.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
And yet...
I read the New Alert and that was a very misleading title. I guess he's saying the players and thier families have been threatened? That's doesn't make much sense. Unless the threat is "you won't make it in the NFL if you can't [tackle,throw,catch,block,kick]" ?

I bet it was URG hating on Del Rio.

Yup. Sounds like his M.O..
man, keep it quiet or you're next
:suspect2:

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This team and staff is very much aware of the goings on of Gatorchatter.com :grin:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Not saying Mac is in the right, because he isn't. But, Ox, do you still Maintain that this junk doesn't affect our ability to hire a new coach? It either limits our options or it forces us to pay more to purchase those options back.
When you say "this junk" are you talking about 1 or 2 asshat creeps out of millions of Gator fans making death threats? Is there someone out there condoning these threats that I haven't seen? Do you really believe that UF is the only school in which a losing coach gets death threats from some drunken idiot?

There was nothing to gain by announcing this the way he did. It hurts the fans, the program, and the school. He was either going for sympathy or it was his first step towards a buyout. Can't you see it now? "My family just doesn't feel safe here anymore." Puh-leeze.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
I don't doubt that there are some bad people within our fan base. But I would venture to say this entire story is somewhat embellished, with the truth probably being somewhere in the middle. He was over the top about Irma, reportedly a little disingenuous with the Grier episode, and flat out exaggerated the interest in our OL coach position(phone is blowing up) last year.

You could take something as simple as jdh's gif with Spurrier pointing a gun and saying "get off my field", and call that a threat. If I were to guess, this whole thing is more likely something along those lines. If he's using it to rally the players, then hopefully it works. But even if it's completely true, he could've handled so much better and actually earned the respect of the fans, instead of further alienating himself.
Ooops. That gif was supposed to be 1/2 funny and one half serious (the gun was just metaphorical). Do I need to put disclaimers out? It was actually aimed at URG on behalf of a player we all know and love. I swear judge.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
If you told Mac a your momma joke he'd probably curl up in a corner and cry.

Dude doesn't have the cajones for this

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
There is a reason Mac hasn't taken over play calls.. that's his out at the end of the year. He will tell us that Nuss will no longer be calling plays and he will next season or he will hire a new OC...problem is its already to late. Only diff between his off scheme and Muschamp is the occasional pass on first down

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Ooops. That gif was supposed to be 1/2 funny and one half serious (the gun was just metaphorical). Do I need to put disclaimers out? It was actually aimed at URG on behalf of a player we all know and love. I swear judge.
:scoff:

GatorArts

Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2017
First, no one should make threats. If you feel that badly about it call him a horrible coach like the rest of us... orif you feel really bad, buy a billboard sign and put up "Fire McElwain".

As others have said though, very poorly handled by Mac. How does he even know it came from actual UF fans? For all he knows he is getting trolled by some fsu or uga fan. Give it to the cops and keep your mouth shut about it until they are done.

I hope this is some cover for him to leave. Defintely the worst coach of the Gators in my lifetime.

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
This is straight from the Don DeVoe book of "How to get out of town and still try to retain some dignity". I seem to remember rumors that Don's wife just "couldn't stand the death threats" and that was what led to his departure.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'd say in general Mac passes more on first down at the moment than Muschamp ever did
Dude, screen passes are the same as toss sweeps.

Its all the same offense. "Take what the defense gives you" , run the clock and punt. The primary goal is to rest the defense. If we lose, at least it will be close and we can say we were n position to win it.

One lost to Ga Southern, the other goes to double OT vs FAU and Kintucky (in his "good years").

NUSS WAS LITERALLY ON THE LIST OF FIRST CHOICES FOR CHIMP. Two peas in a pod.

Last edited:

jmskjrgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
The big question was how would he exit?
Now we know. There are about two cents difference in this and UM’s planned 911 call.
I knew the pressure was mounting. It’s almost unbearable when a program sinks this low while you are in command. I really think he is lazy. And there is no cure for that disease. He just happened to be in the right place at the right time at Alabama and CSU. He was with Saban and happen to have good key players at CSU. He and his wife dreamed up this scheme probably. No threats have probably been made. He’s not happy with taking our program down further
he wants to make it where a decent coach doesn’t want to come here in the future. I
do believe we are about to get some relief.
It is hard for me to listen to him talk at this point. He needs to get out of Dodge ASAP. I say he won’t be our HC this time next week.
Some one needs to be calling Scott Frost
immediately before some other school does.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.