Historic Mai Kai Polynesian restaurant in Ft. Lauderdale, closed and up for sale

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
Sven-Kirsten-2010-018-sm.jpg

Man, how I love that place. Been there more times than I can count, going back to childhood. Sometimes I just stop to hang out at the bar when I'm up that way. It might be the most totally unique restaurant in all of South Florida IMO.

Really sucks that they had a major flood caused by a busted overhead sprinkler pipe a few months ago, which caused the place to "temporarily" close for repairs. But now it turns out that the repair costs are so high that the family that's owned it for generations has decided to put it up for sale.

According to these stories the buyer can either repair and re-open the restaurant as it was, or tear it down and develop something else on the spot, or buy the restaurant "brand" and re-open it somewhere else (or for that matter open multiple new locations).

Orlando Sentinel: Damaged Mai-Kai Restaurant is for sale: ‘Everything is on the table’

Miami New Times: The Mai-Kai Is For Sale: What Does That Mean for Its Future?

I sure hope someone buys it to keep it running. The place is still popular and draws steady crowds, including from tiki enthusiasts from all over the world who travel there for planned gatherings and events. But it might take a new owner a long time to recoup the initial investment, especially considering that it needs extensive repairs.

So, here's my GGGrand plan. Tell me what you think. Unless you disagree, in which case STFU. And btw you do NOT remind me of your Mom, because she's very agreeable, believe me. But I digress.

There's a big, deep-pockets corporate buyer we all know who I think should be contacted, because they could do as good a job as any of keeping it going, and even improving it and expanding the Mai Kai brand. Like for example, extending it to the similarly-themed resort property that this company owns, which just so happens to be currently closed for extensive renovations itself!

That's right, I'm talking about Walt Disney World and their Polynesian Village Resort, of course. The timing is perfect! They could incorporate the Mai Kai brand into the new, re-designed Resort, or vice-versa. Either way, a quality, Disney-run destination restaurant like that in Fort Lauderdale would be a smash hit, I can guarantee you that.

Now, how do I make money off brokering this deal? :scratchchin: I need to pour myself a Zombie or a Planter's Punch and think it over.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Sven-Kirsten-2010-018-sm.jpg

Man, how I love that place. Been there more times than I can count, going back to childhood. Sometimes I just stop to hang out at the bar when I'm up that way. It might be the most totally unique restaurant in all of South Florida IMO.

So, here's my GGGrand plan. Tell me what you think. Unless you disagree, in which case STFU. And btw you do NOT remind me of your Mom, because she's very agreeable, believe me. But I digress.

There's a big, deep-pockets corporate buyer we all know who I think should be contacted, because they could do as good a job as any of keeping it going, and even improving it and expanding the Mai Kai brand. Like for example, extending it to the similarly-themed resort property that this company owns, which just so happens to be currently closed for extensive renovations itself!

That's right, I'm talking about Walt Disney World and their Polynesian Village Resort, of course. The timing is perfect! They could incorporate the Mai Kai brand into the new, re-designed Resort, or vice-versa. Either way, a quality, Disney-run destination restaurant like that in Fort Lauderdale would be a smash hit, I can guarantee you that.

Now, how do I make money off brokering this deal? :scratchchin: I need to pour myself a Zombie or a Planter's Punch and think it over.

Though I've never been, you're right that it had a great reputation and was really popular. In any event, always sad to see a piece of history die.

As for your Disney idea, I'm not sure I see that happening. I think they've suspended much of their real estate expansion beyond the Orlando area, choosing instead to focus their resources on streaming and hiring droves of borderline-militant homosexuals to constantly bark at paying guests about pulling their mask up. They just can't do everything.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
As for your Disney idea, I'm not sure I see that happening. I think they've suspended much of their real estate expansion beyond the Orlando area, choosing instead to focus their resources on streaming and hiring droves of borderline-militant homosexuals to constantly bark at paying guests about pulling their mask up. They just can't do everything.
Okay well, I have a question about that comment.

WHICH PART of, "Unless you disagree, in which case STFU," DID YOU NOT UNDERSTAND??

Now if you please, I'm going to need some descriptive information about your Mom to incorporate into my follow-up post. Thanks! :)

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Okay well, I have a question about that comment.

WHICH PART of, "Unless you disagree, in which case STFU," DID YOU NOT UNDERSTAND??

Now if you please, I'm going to need some descriptive information about your Mom to incorporate into my follow-up post. Thanks! :)

She doesn't care for the Dolphins or Rocky IV.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
It is a shame when a city looses a great longtime restaurant. A few years back my brother in law and his cousin sold the great seafood palace "The Colonnade Restaurant on Bayshore in Tampa. Man I had some good times there. Money does talk and property is finite. The property now supports high rise apartment building. My favorite was a fantastic grouper sandwich which would put any "poorboy" sandwich from New Orleans to shame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator