Jul 18, 2018
Sucks when the spring game is the only game around your birthday

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
I remember that loss. I took my son, about 13 or 14. to the game and had no tickets. I was walking down University prior to the game holding up two fingers, and a guy asks if we need two and I say yes. Says, follow me, so we follow him a store just off the street which was his. Hands me two tickets and says we can have them. Said they were found right by an ATM where someone had either left or dropped them. He said have fun and I said thanks a bunch. Turns out...they were right in the middle of a big group of Barn fans. It was like..oh boy..waiting for someone to ask where we got them. Nobody did. They were very nice and absolutely did not expect to win that game. Everyone around us was very happy but gracious in victory. Losing still sucked.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014

Auburn has been called the Barn since Bear Bryant referred to them as the cow college way back when Bryant and Ralph "Shug" Jordan were going head to head. Jordan whose name lives on in the name of Jordan-Hare Stadium used to always chew on a piece of sugar cane hence the name "Shug". He was also called the Professor of Football. Auburn had an old basketball arena that was called the Barn. It was even smaller than Alligator Alley at UF. That might be where the name "the Barn" came from. It was no longer in use when the Barn burned down during an Auburn - LSU football game. It was right next to the football stadium.

Back in the day before UF had a veterinary school the state of Florida used to have a contract with Auburn where they would accept so many students from UF into the Auburn Vet School. UF didn't open its Veterinary School until 1976.

Last edited:

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Just want to say concerning that fire : only meth-lab ingredients produce that black smoke.

destingator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
For some reason Auburn and Auburn fans have always gotten under my skin. Their program always seems slimy to me. That season that had with Cam Newton was nauseating and then they hire that douche Bruce Pearl. It’s lile they have no shame.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
I met my Barner wife in March of '07 (shortly before I joined the GSMB). Incredibly, we've only played the one time since we met, that inexcusable loss in '07 while we were dating.

Not sure what to expect. Not sure if we're even going to watch the game together. :ugh:
We've played them since then.....Rainey fumbled a punt(while being interfered with) against them when Chimp was head coach. Seems like Chimp caught a couple of unsportsmanlike penalties for raising hell.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
We've played them since then.....Rainey fumbled a punt(while being interfered with) against them when Chimp was head coach. Seems like Chimp caught a couple of unsportsmanlike penalties for raising hell.

Also Chump benched Brisset at halftime after he led us to 2 field goal drives to pull within one point at the half. His reasoning for putting driskel in was he was more mobile. Driskel led us to 0 2nd half points and misfired on a sure TD on a flea flicker I believe. We likely win if he’d stuck with Brisset. That really wasn’t a dominant Auburn team.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
For some reason Auburn and Auburn fans have always gotten under my skin. Their program always seems slimy to me. That season that had with Cam Newton was nauseating and then they hire that douche Bruce Pearl. It’s lile they have no shame.

And that’s just recent history.

KronoGator

Aug 28, 2014
They even cheat in freaking softball.

KronoGator

Aug 28, 2014
I see absolutely nothing "lol" about that.

:shakehead:
True, but it's just funny to say 25-5 when all 5 of the losses are recent, it's like Georgia fans talking about the all time record ignoring the boatload of losses in recent memory.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
And yet,
We still refer to Vandy as ... Vandy. Guess 'cause we beat them most of the time.

Cowbell
Corndogs
Ole Piss

do we have some type of name for aTm?
what about arkansas now that fat boy is gone?
It's hard to muster any anger for Vandy. We can send 10k fans to Nashville and own the stadium.

Candy? Vandi? Dandy?

Smart Hillibillies? I usually use that one. Or Hillbillies' Boss.

Meh. Is Vandy even worth the thought?

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
It's hard to muster any anger for Vandy. We can send 10k fans to Nashville and own the stadium.

Candy? Vandi? Dandy?

Smart Hillibillies? I usually use that one. Or Hillbillies' Boss.

Meh. Is Vandy even worth the thought?

Or... "Hey Vandy, how 'bout a handy?" Too wordy?

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Speaking of ‘barn.

Tuscaloosa-Typo.jpg

In their defense- the x is next to the c on the keyboard. It’s how I sometimes decipher what cooter is trying to type.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018

Auburn has been called the Barn since Bear Bryant referred to them as the cow college way back when Bryant and Ralph "Shug" Jordan were going head to head. Jordan whose name lives on in the name of Jordan-Hare Stadium used to always chew on a piece of sugar cane hence the name "Shug". He was also called the Professor of Football. Auburn had an old basketball arena that was called the Barn. It was even smaller than Alligator Alley at UF. That might be where the name "the Barn" came from. It was no longer in use when the Barn burned down during an Auburn - LSU football game. It was right next to the football stadium.

Back in the day before UF had a veterinary school the state of Florida used to have a contract with Auburn where they would accept so many students from UF into the Auburn Vet School. UF didn't open its Veterinary School until 1976.
Great recap of history Joe but don't forget that the Barn fire also enveloped their library and as luck is apt to intervene on even the worst of people in life they were able to recover a few coloring books from the library that hadn't yet been colored in.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Great recap of history Joe but don't forget that the Barn fire also enveloped their library and as luck is apt to intervene on even the worst of people in life they were able to recover a few coloring books from the library that hadn't yet been colored in.

No, SOS confirmed they lost the unused coloring books, too.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Also Chump benched Brisset at halftime after he led us to 2 field goal drives to pull within one point at the half. His reasoning for putting driskel in was he was more mobile. Driskel led us to 0 2nd half points and misfired on a sure TD on a flea flicker I believe. We likely win if he’d stuck with Brisset. That really wasn’t a dominant Auburn team.

I had forgot about that game after the beatdowns Bama and LSU gave us that year prior to that game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.