How do we fix our defense?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
we could have recruited linebackers two and three years ago.

not rush backers, inside linebackers.

and safeties.

and fired the graduate assistant who's pretending to be the linebacker coach and the old ass drunk that coaches safeties.

I would fire English today and let Torian take over. sometimes firing an employee motivates others to work a little harder.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Right now get 3 of our starters back from suspension/super secret Covid contact tracing quarantine
Excuseathon. Get it rolling.

the worst problem at safety is a three year starter.

there are no linebackers out.

Moon #3-4 Rush at best.

if you didn't notice how bad our defense sucked without David Reese the last couple of years you haven't been paying attention.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Tempo was a killer without enough guys to rotate. Tackling really suffered and we played soft the whole 2nd half. Very few blitzes. Kiffen had the benefit of our d on tape while not having seen there’s. But no adjustments was really disappointing
Dude, you are in fantasyland. We were rotating everyone on the roster. It will take me some time to think of anyone who didnt play. I saw numerous freshmen, #4 Reese, Brunson and several other people who arent even on the depth chart.

I will add "tempo" to the excuse-a-thon list though.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
we're going to have to find a way to hide our linebackers. Keep the defense off them. That means getting bigger at DT and DE.

Goofy ass Grantham started 2 LBs, a DE and a DT today, like always really. We need to move Zach Carter back to DE and put one or two more heavies on the line most downs.

Safeties? there's not much you can do. these kids are un talented and just don't know how to play the positions.

I would seriously fire or demote English tomorrow and let Torrian coach the safeties.

at both safety and linebacker I don't know how you overcome the terrible talent deficit we have but I think the talent deficit is actually worse at linebacker.

as always my linebacker I mean inside linebacker, not rush backer/end hybrid. we have plenty of talent at rush and stacked up 8 deep.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Honestly, there's probably not a whole lot that can be done this year. It's the position we've put ourselves in through recruiting, loyalty to failed coaches and scheme that almost lives for days like today. Getting players back, getting more reps and so forth will benefit to a certain degree. As I said, we looked really bad most of the opener last year as well. But as law pointed out, you have a 3-year Sr starter at Safety and he's the worst player on the field by a mile. Hopefully a game like this is awake up call for Mullen and he realizes he has a ceiling with Grantham, and it's getting lower each year. But this year, we're going to just have to outscore people.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Tempo was a killer without enough guys to rotate. Tackling really suffered and we played soft the whole 2nd half. Very few blitzes. Kiffen had the benefit of our d on tape while not having seen there’s. But no adjustments was really disappointing

Grantham rotated a ton of players - non starters who played significant downs; Dexter, Chatfield, Brunson, Reese, Torrance, Dunlap, Hill, Kimbrough, Bogle, Diabate.

At least 20 players recorded a defensive stat:

2020 Football Cumulative Statistics - Florida Gators

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
I'm completely at a loss. Gave up over 600 yards. We were weak across the board. Sometimes its just not your day, but it didn't feel like that today. Just felt like we have no playmakers anywhere.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Inviting Grantham to leave would be the best start

Sadly, that's likely not an option w/ him being the most overpaid coordinator in the SEC. He's not giving up $1.8 million unless it's a P5 head coaching job or NFL DC, which very likely isn't an option for him. But staying at UF, making nearly $2 million/year IS an option for him....and we all know how Mullen is about firing under performing coaches.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm completely at a loss. Gave up over 600 yards. We were weak across the board. Sometimes its just not your day, but it didn't feel like that today. Just felt like we have no playmakers anywhere.
we're going to get some sacks off blitzes.

we are good at CB.

I think V Miller played pretty good today, not elite by any means, but okay.

first and foremost we need another linebacker badly. I just don't know how to do that. Burney has no instincts inside he's always been a safety. he should be a strong safety or a hybrid. same with Dean.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Recruit better players by position
Recruit better coaches by position

Ultimately it is the CEO’s responsibility

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
we're going to get some sacks off blitzes.

we are good at CB.

I think V Miller played pretty good today, not elite by any means, but okay.

first and foremost we need another linebacker badly. I just don't know how to do that. Burney has no instincts inside he's always been a safety. he should be a strong safety or a hybrid. same with Dean.
Agree on Miller. He made a play or two, but he isn't going to take over a game and or change anyone's offensive playbook. Didn't see much from the CB's. Just saw lots of open receivers.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
James Houston didn't play today, he's the top LB behind Miller. But sadly, I'm not sure what sort of difference he would have made, and not sure why he didn't play.

There's a rumor that Campbell is out all year due to academics - which is inexcusable, he's a freaking senior.

The only other "big" DTs we have that didn't play is Jalen Lee & Jaelin Humphries (not sure what's up w/ him).

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator