How do we fix our defense?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The only other "big" DTs we have that didn't play is Jalen Lee & Jaelin Humphries (not sure what's up w/ him).
Has either of those guys actually made a tackle in a game?i is that our pumper theory? that we're missing two backups therefore the defense sucks?

As for LB, Burney is listed as the starter. he played like a safety playing linebacker, as always.

Last edited:

Oklahoma Gator

Lifetime Member
Nov 18, 2015
Grantham rotated a ton of players - non starters who played significant downs; Dexter, Chatfield, Brunson, Reese, Torrance, Dunlap, Hill, Kimbrough, Bogle, Diabate.

At least 20 players recorded a defensive stat:

2020 Football Cumulative Statistics - Florida Gators
I would say that was out of necessity. And btw I am in no way saying this to defend that putrid performance. My guess is that more Stewart and less stiner will help. Correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t remember seeing hopper or humphries, two guys I was excited about and we already knew we were gonna be down wingo Stuart and the DT. Then you lose Shawn Davis so early and it looked to me like a recipe for disaster. I obviously see there are holes in the roster especially on D, like at LB and DT but I also believe that the specter of Covid and what sounds like absurd contact tracing measures are going to exasperate any roster deficiencies and will probably result in some crazy outcomes. We’re lucky to have survived ours today. Also, our side of a couple highlight kill shots, it looked like we haven’t tackled anything since the orange bowl

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
. My guess is that more Stewart and less stiner will help.
What about Grantham and English make you think you are going to see less Stiner this year or next?

Wingo wasnt playing this year, period. You cant play ILB as a freshman. He doesnt even know the playbook. Hopper, whatever dude.

I wasn't even aware Grantham had relatives in Oklahoma.

Bar None Gator

Dec 3, 2016
Need some beef up front and a pash rusher. There simply was not enough pressure on the QB today. The safety being kicked out did not help. Linebackers need experience. Miss David Reese. He was not the greatest. But he was a wall. Definitely not DBU today.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Sadly, that's likely not an option w/ him being the most overpaid coordinator in the SEC. He's not giving up $1.8 million unless it's a P5 head coaching job or NFL DC, which very likely isn't an option for him. But staying at UF, making nearly $2 million/year IS an option for him....and we all know how Mullen is about firing under performing coaches.
Didn't mullen fire sirmon? I see our defense having that type of year. This is just the optimist in me dreaming here.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
We have tackled bad for how many years.. D line has been arse save a saving grace transfer last year. Greenard was a much more complete player than Z (ymmv). Lot of hype. It is coaching and recruiting.

My take is they try and draft guys that can run and the put weight on them. But then they can’t run because they grew and now don’t have technique to support that weight gain and a new position. Throw in scheme, coaching laziness and a dawg choker and you have my rant tonight. I admit to being a pessimist.

Brought to you from the Folks at Rare Breed. ;)

Go Gators

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I’ll watch again to get a better understanding but our secondary was obviously in disarray for
Much of the day . I liked seeing Marco at nickel and think starting Hill for now is the right move . The safety play is atrocious gentlemen . Just no way around it . Pass rush was also poor all things
Considered . Miller made a couple of key tackles
On third down.

Where do we go from here ? Well obviously getting Campbell back can slide Zach to end and Cox to buck . Obviously that will help . Our guys did okay playing inside out today in the front . You just gotta have backers that can scrape , shed and make the play . Outside of Miller we just don’t have guys that have done it over and over again . We will improve as the season goes on, but my biggest concern moving forward is getting pressure with just four with this bunch . Getting Shawn and Brad back should
help us on the back end . But Moon isn’t a difference maker . What we saw today was our pass rush, and it wasn’t pretty .

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I liked seeing Marco at nickel and think starting Hill for now is the right move .

Well obviously getting Campbell back can slide Zach to end and Cox to buck .

What we saw today was our pass rush, and it wasn’t pretty .
Im not sure why Marco moved back.

I guess we need to get the seniors on the field?
the best five defensive backs in my mind includes Hill.

Stiner isnt one of the top 25, but maybe he screws English's fat daughter or something.

Campbell..... meh. ok, I guess. What about Jaelin Humphries? Some pumpers have been waving his name around as savior.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Hire this rabbit to teach the fundamentals....

giphy.gif

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Im not sure why Marco moved back.

I guess we need to get the seniors on the field?
the best five defensive backs in my mind includes Hill.

Stiner isnt one of the top 25, but maybe he screws English's fat daughter or something.

Campbell..... meh. ok, I guess. What about Jaelin Humphries? Some pumpers have been waving his name around as savior.
Our pass defense is atrocious without doubt but ignoring the lack of talent there is no excuse for the LBer's lack of instinct and positioning....opposing QB's don't have to throw into any windows across the middle because our windows are wide open there. The other killer with that is if the QB wants to step up between our exotic gaps he can walk to a 1st down(no spy)...when was the last time anyone has seen one of our LBer's "sit down" 4-6 yards behind the LOS?

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Losing David early dang sure didn't help the situation and they went after it.

We need mo' beef up front, better rush, and this week, perhaps we need some tackling drills. This may be what we have to deal with this year.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@Year2: Florida’s defense fell from 3rd to 17th. Explosiveness is the largest component of SP+, and, well, *gestures at Elijah Moore and backup DBs*

Last edited:

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
we could have recruited linebackers two and three years ago.

not rush backers, inside linebackers.

and safeties.

and fired the graduate assistant who's pretending to be the linebacker coach and the old ass drunk that coaches safeties.

I would fire English today and let Torian take over. sometimes firing an employee motivates others to work a little harder.

You always reach back on what we should HAVE DONE. The question is what do we do now.

Sure fire a coach is always your answer. The problem was not speed or even talent. The main problem was basic "Pop Warner" tackling.
How many of these defenders were there but would not wrap up? How many of the defenders over pursued? How many DB let receivers get past them?

Oh, and Mullen is an offensive guy...any complaints there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator