How many players have been drafted in 2023?

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Trask is a better pure passer
Douchebag Dan played him in spite of his abilities not because of his abilities.

If Dan were really the all powerful QB guru some people want to make him out to be, he could have duplicated it....he couldn't and can't because it was flat out Trasks ability that carried him....not Mullen

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
This is not about Mullen. It's about Napier. The worse Mullen becomes here, the worse-er Napier projects by comparison. Why? Because it's the bottom line that matters.

Daryl

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2017
He never duplicated it, his boy EJ is on his 3rd team which further proves my point that players gotta have top talent for a team to be top level. ANY chinks in the armor will be attacked by opposing teams.

And for ppl to think opposing OCs didnt see our slow as s safeties and use routes to isolate them on their best threats is just baffling to me. Our LBs couldnt cover TEs all season. Add that with very little depth and you get what we saw last season. Worn out G.Dexters and Princely's and wide open guys running down the middle of our defense.
Its not rocket surgery

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Just confirming that the 2019 season you’re discussing was the one that featured Pitts(Mac commit), Swain(Mac signee), Perine(Mac commit), Toney(Mac signee) and Trask(Mac signee that he didn’t want to play and only did so because he was forced to after Franks’ injury), and the year that we had a chance to go undefeated based on this guys, but instead lost because of a combination of his loyalty to Grantham, an insistence on putting Jones in for lost, momentum killing drives against Lsu, and wearing the wrong wrist bands against uga. That 2019?

I agree it was a really good season. But it was only that way because of a Uk defender.
Now see, you’re making my point. Mullen did what he did in 2019 w/ Butter’s players. Just like Butter’s early success was with Chump’s players. Unfortunately Napier just had the #4 QB and a losing season.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This is not about Mullen. It's about Napier. The worse Mullen becomes here, the worse-er Napier projects by comparison. Why? Because it's the bottom line that matters.
No Way Wtf GIF by Harlem

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Yes, that 2019. Did you not read my post where I acknowledged Mullen's loyalty to Grantham being his downfall? The guy was not without fault.

So you just set the bar for Napier's year #2. Let's see if he equals or even approaches what Mullen did. I'm betting he won't.

Not really. Again, the rambling. :lol:

To your other post about this being about Napier, not Mullen, I agree. I just don’t see how a freakish athlete widely viewed as a “high ceiling/high risk” player going #4, consistent with his perception during receuiting(3 total SEC offers), going #4 with no other skill player on offense even sniffing the first round, somehow makes the argument that Napier failed last year. I can assure you that if AR plays like he did against Usf, Uk and Vu where he was inaccurate and chose to force things rather than using his legs, he will be out of the league within 5 years. He openly spoke about not playing to his strengths in 2 of those games(both losses). Even competent QB play gets us victories there, whereas outside of Utah and maybe A&M, there isn’t a single win that can be contributed to Richardson.

As for this year, I also agree that there is no more 3-4 year rebuilds. Roughly 80% of the team has BN’s stamp on them. I’d like to see him be here lining term, but another bad year and he will be facing the same year 3 pressure that others have.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Now see, you’re making my point. Mullen did what he did in 2019 w/ Butter’s players. Just like Butter’s early success was with Chump’s players. Unfortunately Napier just had the #4 QB and a losing season.

Again, film was AR’s biggest enemy. It’s why he was smart to come out this season. He was drafted on “what could be”, not “what he’s done”. Everyone agrees with that.

Do this, compare the scholarship offer lists of guys like Grier and Driskel to Richardson, and then get back to me. Those guys were #1 and 2 in their respective categories. AR was #9.

You’re also leaving off that Elam, Neal, Poole and Hargreaves were all great in college for those coaches, and some are still in the NFL, while you mock Dean for being UDFA who won’t make a roster.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I also agree that there is no more 3-4 year rebuilds. Roughly 80% of the team has BN’s stamp on them. I’d like to see him be here lining term, but another bad year and he will be facing the same year 3 pressure that others have.

That's it. He has to show results in spite of the slo-mo approach. I don't like the odds. The game has changed so much. The TV money. The portal. NIL. Everything moves at a faster pace. The new dynamics have leveled the playing field. Old built-in advantages no longer apply.

I'm not saying you can't succeed through a building-block approach, but I do see it as less likely than it was, and for a number of reasons.

Napier's offensive approach does zero for me. Has a Saban 2010 feel. Even Saban came to realize he needed to change. More importantly, he came to realize he needed to get out of the way and delegate. Napier's handprints are all over this drudgery of an offense. You can't win anymore if you don't succeed through the air.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Trask is a better pure passer
Douchebag Dan played him in spite of his abilities not because of his abilities.

If Dan were really the all powerful QB guru some people want to make him out to be, he could have duplicated it....he couldn't and can't because it was flat out Trasks ability that carried him....not Mullen
It took Franks breaking his leg before dildo Dan would play Trask. That explains it all.

Daryl

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2017
Mullen Offense with Trask / 4,200 yards, 43 tds. Averaged 40 ppg 2020
Mullen Offense with Jones / 30 ppg. 2021

Fun fact, in the 2019 / 2021 seasons, Billy's offense averaged more points per game than Dan's did. safe to say we havent seen Billy's offense at UF with a QB who can efficiently throw the ball so how do you know what he can and cant do? Just showed you the difference a QB makes to Mullens offense.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It used to be said that there was so much talent in the State of Florida that UF would always have a top 25 defense. Well that was assuming average recruiting. Our defense sucked because we had slow players and crap depth.

With all the changes to the roster, we still shouldn’t expect much better than 50 this year, and probably not top 10 until the ‘24 class becomes juniors.

Napier is building a program. I expect one to two game win improvements the next couple years. I don’t expect any glimmer of hope until ‘25 or ‘26 when we will hopefully have a QB ready to shine.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
It used to be said that there was so much talent in the State of Florida that UF would always have a top 25 defense. Well that was assuming average recruiting. Our defense sucked because we had slow players and crap depth.

With all the changes to the roster, we still shouldn’t expect much better than 50 this year, and probably not top 10 until the ‘24 class becomes juniors.

Napier is building a program. I expect one to two game win improvements the next couple years. I don’t expect any glimmer of hope until ‘25 or ‘26 when we will hopefully have a QB ready to shine.

I know it’s not perfect apples apples, but I look at his second year at UL and draw hope from that. His teams never revisited that first season performance. So I think it could be a little better than you project. But I do agree that at the current pace, our roster in ‘24 will be by far the best we’ve had in a decade.

Daryl

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2017
Defense will be overall faster and more talented with some much needed depth along the DL. I expect a good jump in the performance this season but there will be "brain fart" moments with young first time starters playing together.

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015
Dan went from 10 wins to 6, getting punked my Mizzou's HC should be a fireable offense anyways

2021 Offense 31 ppg
2022 Offense 30 ppg

Defense was **** under both
2021 27 ppg allowed
2022 29 ppg allowed
Imo this will be the season we judge Billy's Defense since it will mostly be HIS guys and not Dan specials

Not sure if showing Napier's team was slightly worse than the one that got Mullen fired mid season is helping make your case stronger.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Daryl, I've decided to give rocket surgery a shot. You're never too old to get better.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Even competent QB play gets us victories there, whereas outside of Utah and maybe A&M, there isn’t a single win that can be contributed to Richardson.
In some wins, it could be argued UF did it in spite of AR, or rather in spite of his passing efforts. Our most dominant SEC win last season was against USCe. In that game AR completed fewer than 50% of his passes for a whopping 112 yds. Fortunately, when you out gain your opponent on the ground by 340+ yds and allow zero offensive TDs, you can get by with a pedestrian effort at QB.

Daryl

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2017
Not sure if showing Napier's team was slightly worse than the one that got Mullen fired mid season is helping make your case stronger.
Mastermind/QB guru Dan's offense with Jones hitting 65% averaged 1 more point than "5 play Billy" Napier's offense got with AR hitting 54%

And ppl expecting the defense that got schooled by Samford to improve after losing its best Corner and DL to the draft along with its leading tackler via transfer is pretty absurd

This season will be more telling of what this staff can do now that most of the riffraff is gone

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator