How many players have been drafted in 2023?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Not sure if showing Napier's team was slightly worse than the one that got Mullen fired mid season is helping make your case stronger.

Another good snapshot is looking at Dexter, who was the #3 DT in HS going 53rd in the draft, while a guy who was the #4 DT out of HS going 9th. Do you think that had to do with Carter being surrounded by fellow first rounders in Davis, Smith, etc. while Dexter’s right hand men were Cox, Princely and The hyphenated kid who just transferred? As I’ve said, what salvaged the classes of Mullen and JM were a couple big names, mostly because of our location. But you can’t realize your potential when you’re surrounded by subpar players that allow teams to focus on you. I’m thrilled GD was a Gator but there’s no doubt in my mind it cost him success in college and money at the next level. And it absolutely doesn’t work to recruit that way. That’s what you’re seeing in both the past two years’ defenses.

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
In some wins, it could be argued UF did it in spite of AR, or rather in spite of his passing efforts. Our most dominant SEC win last season was against USCe. In that game AR completed fewer than 50% of his passes for a whopping 112 yds. Fortunately, when you out gain your opponent on the ground by 340+ yds and allow zero offensive TDs, you can get by with a pedestrian effort at QB.

You could make the same argument for Usf and Mizzou as well. We win those games because of pick-6’s and running game.

Daryl

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2017
Utah was really the only game we won off of a monster day by AR. Unfortunately he was never able to replicate it

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Mastermind/QB guru Dan's offense with Jones hitting 65% averaged 1 more point than "5 play Billy" Napier's offense got with AR hitting 54%

What was Florida's red-zone ranking last year?

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
You could make the same argument for Usf and Mizzou as well. We win those games because of pick-6’s and running game.
AR actually didn’t play horribly in the Mizzou game tho he did have two turnovers. There were a couple of bad drops and two missed field goals or UF wins going away. CBN also called a very conservative game; AR only threw 14 passes.

Daryl

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2017
17-24, 168 yards no passing TDs.

Benchmark.
Ran for over a hundred with 3 tds. That with 70% passing was good enough to keep us competitive.

Then ppl got in his head and told him he had to be a pocket passer and that was it

Daryl

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2017
Ppl wanna talk about the offense but you really have no idea what an inconsistent QB can do to you as a playcaller.

JS, If you played Madden and your QB hit 54% of his passes you'd throw your remote out the fkn window

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Im guessing less than the one with the QB hitting 65%

31 ppg / 30 ppg still is what it is.

119th in red-zone efficiency is what it is, too. It's going to extreme ends to get less out of more.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
AR actually didn’t play horribly in the Mizzou game tho he did have two turnovers. There were a couple of bad drops and two missed field goals or UF wins going away. CBN also called a very conservative game; AR only threw 14 passes.

He didn’t play horribly in most games and almost always had a “wow” play somewhere even in his off performance. It’s just that “didn’t play horribly” isn’t usually the phrase you associate with a QB who people(not you) are holding up as evidence to support their indictment of a coach.

Daryl

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2017
119th in red-zone efficiency is what it is, too. It's going to extreme ends to get less out of more.
Well, when your QB hits 54%, chances are when the field gets smaller inside the RZ and those windows get even tighter.. You become pretty easy to defend

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Well, when your QB hits 54%, chances are when the field gets smaller inside the RZ and those windows get even tighter.. You become pretty easy to defend

It isn't always the quarterback's fault, and esp when the quarterback in question averaged 6.3 a carry.

Daryl

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2017
Every play starts with the ball in his hands. The offense goes as he goes. 54% Comp isnt going to get you far. The fact we avg'd 30 ppg is a miracle
In the RZ you gotta accurately get the ball out on time/rhythm. 2 things AR is known not to do well.

And as far as running, When teams stack the box and jump into Bear fronts, youre gonna have a long day offensively if you cant throw em out of it.

Ability to run doesnt make a QB a good QB.

Last edited:

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Yep.

An athletic freak player who didn’t play enough to make a huge impact (Richardson).

A player who played the most snaps of any defensive lineman in the country because our depth was so bad. The overuse made him largely ineffectual. (Dexter)

A sunbelt transfer (Cybo)

I expect a few others to get drafted at the bottom of the draft. And some to be UDFAs

Ventrell (5)
Cox (6)
Shorter (6)
Torrence (7)
Dean, Gouriage, Burney (UDFA)
My recollection is that Couriage came in as one our best OT prospects since, who knows. At the time I think most of us would have thought he develops into a higher pick.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The kid at ULL ran the offense better in ‘21 than AR did last year and it’s not close. AR sucked and I’m glad he’s gone. He’s selfish and a quitter. The pedo would’ve given us a better season than AR. I can’t imagine Mertz running the offense that bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.