How much longer does the NFL have?

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
But since he was "acting up" prior to reaching the NFL, does this mean his brain was already injured prior to leaving UF?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He was the primary suspect in multiple shootings one before he left Conn and before playing a down at UF.

Last edited:

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe he got dropped on his head as a baby. It’s the new version of the insanity defense.

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Sure....one of the largest money making businesses in the country that not only has their own day (Sunday) but also their own evening (Monday....Thursday doesnt really count) is just going to fold up and call it quits....makes sense to me!

klgator

Jul 29, 2014
Here's my take. I played high school football in the 60s. We did not lift weights, because coaches feared the players would become muscle bound. The 240 pound linemen, usually slow, would play offensive tackle. The offensive guards and center typically weighed around 180 - 200 pounds as did the defensive line. On the 1966 Gator team Jack Card played linebacker, and he weighed 160 pounds.

Today the players are much bigger, stronger, and faster than they were then. Medical science can heal injuries that back then would have ended careers. Is it any surprise that we see these medical issues?

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Sure....one of the largest money making businesses in the country that not only has their own day (Sunday) but also their own evening (Monday....Thursday doesnt really count) is just going to fold up and call it quits....makes sense to me!
I'd love me a CJ7.

Duels used to be all the rage...

Let's see what some fancy lawyer comes up with...I imagine flag football will not bring in quite the $$$ that our modern day gladiator events do.

But to tell you the truth, it will be because of the lose of interest coming in the demographics.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
I expect it to become less profitable and thus pay the players less. I also think that for college and the NFL they will start checking players brains and not allowing them to play with damages. Maybe some HS will also do this.

CapitalGator02

Founding Member
( . Y . )
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...f60b5a6c4a0_story.html?utm_term=.fff7dd1bef8c

Did not see this news.

If it's end is in sight, will college folllow?
Depends on what measures the NFL continues to implement to reduce head injuries. The targeting penalties are tolerable at this point, but any additional rules could severely diminish the entertainment value of the game, thus reducing viewership. That being said, the politicization of the game, haphazard punishments, and other issues will bury the NFL long before concussions and CTE.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Depends on what measures the NFL continues to implement to reduce head injuries. The targeting penalties are tolerable at this point, but any additional rules could severely diminish the entertainment value of the game, thus reducing viewership. That being said, the politicization of the game, haphazard punishments, and other issues will bury the NFL long before concussions and CTE.
Those too....

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Thats crazy. The game didnt end because the took away facemasking, horsecollaring, or late hits on the QB. It wont end if the make the entire helmet off limits like the facemask. They should do it tomorrow.

Spearing w the head has only existed a couple of decades. It didnt happen in the leather helmet days. We will be fine without it.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I'd love me a CJ7.

Duels used to be all the rage...

Let's see what some fancy lawyer comes up with...I imagine flag football will not bring in quite the $$$ that our modern day gladiator events do.

But to tell you the truth, it will be because of the lose of interest coming in the demographics.

Boxing and horse racing were once major sports in the US too. Things change, so maybe football will fall into disfavor too.

biggator6

Oct 2, 2014
I have several friends and acquaintances who are former college players, one is an NFL coach.

Their kids all play soccer. None are allowed to play tackle football yet. MAYBE in HS, no earlier.

These guys know.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I have several friends and acquaintances who are former college players, one is an NFL coach.

Their kids all play soccer. None are allowed to play tackle football yet. MAYBE in HS, no earlier.

These guys know.

You do know that games like football have always been disproportionately populated by poor kids fighting to get out of the circumstances they were born into. So it is not surprising that the rich kids of NFL QBs are not playing the game. I would guess the kids of the former college players you know are at least richer kids than their fathers were growing up.

It is when poor kids give up the sport that football will be in trouble in terms of attracting players. Now the game may become smaller ala boxing if they continue to chase away fans.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I haven't watched a NFL pro game this year... they're in the same coffin as the NBA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.