How to clean dryer vent

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If your dryer duct runs thru the attic and you have no problems consider yourself fortunate. While the code allows a maximum dryer exhaust pipe run of 35 LF, most dryer manufacturers allow less than that. Every 90 degree angle in the 4" smooth wall pipe is equal to 5 LF. The vent hood itself is an even great restriction and then add to that the 8 foot long usually corrugated transition connection behind the dryer. Now try and push the exhaust VERTICALLY up through the attic. The lint will fall back to the nearest turn in the pipe. Most dryer exhaust fans are barely capable of doing their job under the most perfect conditions. Restricted dryer vents cause excessive energy usage through drying times, premature appliance failure and fires.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
If your dryer duct runs thru the attic and you have no problems consider yourself fortunate. While the code allows a maximum dryer exhaust pipe run of 35 LF, most dryer manufacturers allow less than that. Every 90 degree angle in the 4" smooth wall pipe is equal to 5 LF. The vent hood itself is an even great restriction and then add to that the 8 foot long usually corrugated transition connection behind the dryer. Now try and push the exhaust VERTICALLY up through the attic. The lint will fall back to the nearest turn in the pipe. Most dryer exhaust fans are barely capable of doing their job under the most perfect conditions. Restricted dryer vents cause excessive energy usage through drying times, premature appliance failure and fires.

Great information. My dryer is not on an outside wall so I think it has to go up to the roof. So perhaps you need to clean the vent out somehow after each cycle of your clothes cleaning?

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Great information. My dryer is not on an outside wall so I think it has to go up to the roof. So perhaps you need to clean the vent out somehow after each cycle of your clothes cleaning?

Look outside for the vent. It could travel through the ceiling joists to get to an outside wall. A roof mounted exhaust is more expensive than a wall mounted unit and the location isn't typically foremost in a buyers mind so most builders will opt for the less cost/problematic design. A builder will usually avoid a roof penetration anytime he can (invitation for leaks). You need to keep the screen filter in the dryer clean after every use. If it exits through the roof, I would monitor the condition at least every 90 days or so. You can usually tell there is some sort of problem when it takes longer to dry a load of clothes.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Unhook your dryer from the vent. Hook up a blower, like what you use to blow off the driveway after mowing, and turn it loose. Let the blower clear out your line.
This is exactly how I do it. Have someone video tape the dryer exhaust.... because it will look like an artificial snow maker.
Our clothes were not getting dry and figured it was a clogged vent. As the vent is on the second floor, I could only reach a little ways in from a ladder, I too got the bright idea to use the leaf blower, but did not think of recording the event for posterity. Mrs. G was below w/ future Gator and when I came out to see the results they were still laughing. Turns out a bird had built a nest in there and when the blower forced it out it was followed by a boatload of lint. They said it looked like it was snowing. The stuff was everywhere.

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
Got bored and slid out the dryer and looked at the vent. Next to nothing there. Guess I’m lucky. We do clean the lint trap before each load. Maybe that helps.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Got bored and slid out the dryer and looked at the vent. Next to nothing there. Guess I’m lucky. We do clean the lint trap before each load. Maybe that helps.
It doesn’t help. Where does your vent go?

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So do we. I’m sure we would have been fine if not for that damn bird.
You both are underestimating the amount of lint.

I’d also recommend you put some chicken wire on the exterior of your duct to prevent future birds. That said, be sure to remove it the next time you blow it.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Straight up 9 foot into attic.
And the where? Out the roof, out the side of the house under the eve? Just blows into the attic?

Side note, I’ve seen many that just blow into the attic.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Just blows into the attic.

How long has it been like that? The dryer exhaust is humid and the vapor will condense inside the pipe in the winter (cold attic) causing the lint to mat against the pipe wall and clog and it cant be removed. You're also introducing moist air into your attic space which will cause mold (dirty word in residential housing).

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
And the where? Out the roof, out the side of the house under the eve? Just blows into the attic?

Side note, I’ve seen many that just blow into the attic.

Wow, I sure hope that mine does not do that, and I am not really fond of another hole in the roof either. I will have to check when I can.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
How long has it been like that? The dryer exhaust is humid and the vapor will condense inside the pipe in the winter (cold attic) causing the lint to mat against the pipe wall and clog and it cant be removed. You're also introducing moist air into your attic space which will cause mold (dirty word in residential housing).
Not the ideal situation to say the least.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I bought a lint kit from Lowes. Up to 12' I think and purchased an extra extension kit. I hit the roof cap at about 21 feet and cleaned over a 6 gallon bucket of lint out of my line. Clockwise on your drill will pull the brush end into the line and CCW will bring the brush out along with your lint. Screw together the extension rods until you get the length the you need. This was in a condo that my wife bought and she bought a 2nd dryer because the 1st one wouldn't dry the clothes, well the 2nd dryer did no better. This is a sure fire fix for your clogged dryer vent line.

As a helpful hint, make sure that you lock the links together or reversing your drill will unscrew them and leave the tight fitting brush somewhere in your exhaust line.

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017

At least 22 years.

Jack o' Diamonds

My mind is made up, don't confuse me with facts...
Lifetime Member
Aug 29, 2015
All these problems also apply to the dryer itself. I've had to disassemble the dryer to clean out the exhaust fan and duct due to clogging also. Some of that lint is damp and makes it through the filter.. Sticks inside, and the heat bakes it on. Dryers aren't that hard to take apart..

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator