How to get rid of moles?

Gatorhunter

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
No moles or gophers. And I am not 100% sure what kind of moles I am catching. Every website and book says an Eastern Mole, but these look nothing like that. It looks more like mole rat, but the internet says those are only in Africa. These suckers produce an incredible mound in a single evening. Never during the day. I can usually fill 3 5 gallon buckets of dirt from a fresh mound. They also move constantly forward. Here is a satellite photo of my neighbors property. Those white dots are mole hills:

View attachment 40792

Those are sand gophers or Pocket gophers. Some people around here (North FL)call them salamanders but I’m not sure why. My dog has been able to catch a few but haven’t figured out how to get rid of them yet.

8d5466be978872467adf7d99314ec73a.jpg

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
I have moles too, they are the worst. I live in suburbia, about 1/3 of an acre. They come from a wooded area to the rear of my property, and turn my back yard to mush.

I’ve heard you can build a trench around the yard and bury mesh about 2 feet deep and with a little fence above to keep them out. Don’t think it would work, but wondering if you have heard differently.

If it does, the ones that get trapped inside will get treated like the Germans who happen to be in the wrong side of the Berlin Wall.

35C63134-1498-4BC4-8F3F-780683D88EBB.jpeg

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Help! Every year the moles are getting worse. This will be the second year using grub x to kill the food source but we have 5 acres and can’t do it all. I’ve tried the poison worms and pellets last year. Just bought two different death traps. Is there something better?

If I recall correctly you have a big piece of property so my method wont work, but for others with smaller lots, its a no fuss no muss solution. I had a mole problem at my house in Memphis and again in Arlington. What worked for us was having the dog regularly pee all over the front and back yards. Drives the moles away, but only to the next yard over that doesn't have a dog!

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
If I recall correctly you have a big piece of property so my method wont work, but for others with smaller lots, its a no fuss no muss solution. I had a mole problem at my house in Memphis and again in Arlington. What worked for us was having the dog regularly pee all over the front and back yards. Drives the moles away, but only to the next yard over that doesn't have a dog!

You don't need a dog to mark your territory.

Alex.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020

Weird because the moles moved to the fenced in area for the dogs.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Ahhh, now I see the problem. We have a chihuahua that I found on the road. That aren’t afraid of something smaller than themselves. :facepalm:
I’ve mostly had labs, which are not fear worthy either, but once upon a time we had a lab terrier mix. Moles would tremble at the mere mention of her name. She had an amazing ability to find them with very little digging. Unfortunately, she thought it was important to bring them to us after she shook the life out of them. After a few kills, the rest would move on and we’d be good until the following spring when she would repeat the reign of terror.

Treebeard

Oops, just stepped on a Lorax.
Lifetime Member
Dec 23, 2015

There are a lot of videos out there about the Rodenator. Fun to watch.

I saw in the comments of one video where a guy had inquired about working for the company. He was infomed that as a new, inexperienced guy they would have to start him at $350/week. He had to decline the offer, stating that the most he could afford was $250/week! :dance::brad:

BlueGater

Sep 11, 2016
Help! Every year the moles are getting worse. This will be the second year using grub x to kill the food source but we have 5 acres and can’t do it all. I’ve tried the poison worms and pellets last year. Just bought two different death traps. Is there something better?

Never posted before but I feel obligated to divulge the solution to those of you have been waging the same battle that I have for many years. My primary problem is armadillos but the moles have become a close second. Killing the food source used to work but either the commercial products don't work anymore or the moles and armadillos have decided they just like to tear up my yard for spite. I have also tried unconventional things like black pepper, red pepper, ammonia, and others. Some work for a day or two at most. Several years ago, I built an armadillo trap (doesn't help mole problem) which works quite well but disposal is a problem. This year the moles became a much bigger problem than in the past. I tried some of the mole products from Lowes and Home Depot unsuccessfully. We have a small dog so I avoided those products that can be harmful to pets. A few months ago I discovered "Sonic Pikes" by Molemax at Home Depot. They make a periodic buzzing sound that emulates an injured animal which scares off other animals. The green colored Sonic Spikes (both solar and battery powered) work but are very unreliable, particularly if the bottom is submerged in water for any length of time. I then continued the search and found "Sonic Spikes" by Victor on Amazon. The are battery powered, larger and essentially sealed from water intrusion. I bought a pair, installed them and they have eliminated the mole problem completely and about 95% of my armadillo problem. They are supposed to cover approx 7,500 sq ft. The batteries are supposed to last 3-4 months if I remember correctly. I live surrounded by woods with a band of lawn around the house. I have these and some of the green ones (that still work) on the perimeter of my lawn. It's been about 2 months now and my problem seems to be solved. Try a pair at $24 and see if they work for you!

Amazon.com : Victor M9012 Sonic Spike Mole and Gopher Repellent, 2 Pack : Patio, Lawn & Garden

upload_2022-5-5_9-31-49.png

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Never posted before but I feel obligated to divulge the solution to those of you have been waging the same battle that I have for many years. My primary problem is armadillos but the moles have become a close second. Killing the food source used to work but either the commercial products don't work anymore or the moles and armadillos have decided they just like to tear up my yard for spite. I have also tried unconventional things like black pepper, red pepper, ammonia, and others. Some work for a day or two at most. Several years ago, I built an armadillo trap (doesn't help mole problem) which works quite well but disposal is a problem. This year the moles became a much bigger problem than in the past. I tried some of the mole products from Lowes and Home Depot unsuccessfully. We have a small dog so I avoided those products that can be harmful to pets. A few months ago I discovered "Sonic Pikes" by Molemax at Home Depot. They make a periodic buzzing sound that emulates an injured animal which scares off other animals. The green colored Sonic Spikes (both solar and battery powered) work but are very unreliable, particularly if the bottom is submerged in water for any length of time. I then continued the search and found "Sonic Spikes" by Victor on Amazon. The are battery powered, larger and essentially sealed from water intrusion. I bought a pair, installed them and they have eliminated the mole problem completely and about 95% of my armadillo problem. They are supposed to cover approx 7,500 sq ft. The batteries are supposed to last 3-4 months if I remember correctly. I live surrounded by woods with a band of lawn around the house. I have these and some of the green ones (that still work) on the perimeter of my lawn. It's been about 2 months now and my problem seems to be solved. Try a pair at $24 and see if they work for you!

Amazon.com : Victor M9012 Sonic Spike Mole and Gopher Repellent, 2 Pack : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Nice first post! Appreciate the insight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb