How we learned to love losers

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Before the greatest coach in SEC history showed up Fla fans loved losing. We must have because we lost a lot but were loyal to a fault. We cheered just as hard back then. I began my gator life in the early 60s with Ray Graves. Ray won about 70% of his games but never got that hardware. He was a loser. Let me add the rest of the "losers" to the list of those that never won hardware.(as players) Steve Spurrier, Jack Youngblood. Jimmy Dubose (first 1000yrd rusher) Emmit Smith, Scott Brantley, Wilbur Marshall, Fergie Ferguson (WW2 hero who died from wounds later on) Larry Dupree (who played against georgia and led us to victory even though his wife lost a baby right before the game) Wes Chandler (possibly the greatest athlete ever to play football for UF)
Louis Oliver and Jarvis (a lethal pair of secondary player for uf) David Galloway who played Def tackle like an NFL star till he ruined his knee)

There were many more losers in Fla history. Too many to name. But we embraced those losers because they were our heroes. We loved their flair and how hard they played. But losers all. I loved seeing SOS throw to Casey. Or Johnny Reaves pitch it to Carlos. We used to chant DUUUU when Jimmy dubose carried the ball. Emmitt was amazing I saw every home game he played at UF. They knew he was coming and still he got those yards. He humbled aluBama in his first start, Look it up. Why did we love these losers? Because they were OUR PLAYERS. They gave us lots of joy and fun. We came so gdmm close a few times. Dickey had jawja beat it seemed with a 27-10 at half. SOS was gonna beat UGA and take us all the way but they killed him the 2nd half. Gddmm loser he was. We had jawja dead to rights before that Belue kid who couldnt pass worth a shttt lucked out. That team of ours. Just fcn losers.

I lived and breathed Fla football as a kid and into the 70s and 80s. We had fun cheeering our teams that came close many times. Which is why SOS is a God to many of us. Losers? I guess but I loved following those early teams...............

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
In the 3rd grade, I picked up my dog by the hind legs and pushed him around like a vacuum cleaner. It's an act I still regret.

I remember seeing that dog at the vet. It had COPD.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Mullen isnt the only CHAMPION OF LIFE.

75fe0a41cd2557.jpg

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
My mother was pregnant with me and at every home game in 1979. I was so livid I popped out two weeks early the following Spring just to get a head start on getting things fixed.

:lol:

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
:pe:

probably ox is best emote ever.

But that Coach who brought UF Facilities out of the Dark Ages and won our first SEC Title in 1984 was Charlie Pell/ Galen Hall . He prepared us for SOS

And when we said wait until next year we said it with hope and anticipation.

But now we have Grantham...So never mind.

Last edited:

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Before the greatest coach in SEC history showed up Fla fans loved losing. We must have because we lost a lot but were loyal to a fault. We cheered just as hard back then. I began my gator life in the early 60s with Ray Graves. Ray won about 70% of his games but never got that hardware. He was a loser. Let me add the rest of the "losers" to the list of those that never won hardware.(as players) Steve Spurrier, Jack Youngblood. Jimmy Dubose (first 1000yrd rusher) Emmit Smith, Scott Brantley, Wilbur Marshall, Fergie Ferguson (WW2 hero who died from wounds later on) Larry Dupree (who played against georgia and led us to victory even though his wife lost a baby right before the game) Wes Chandler (possibly the greatest athlete ever to play football for UF)
Louis Oliver and Jarvis (a lethal pair of secondary player for uf) David Galloway who played Def tackle like an NFL star till he ruined his knee)

There were many more losers in Fla history. Too many to name. But we embraced those losers because they were our heroes. We loved their flair and how hard they played. But losers all. I loved seeing SOS throw to Casey. Or Johnny Reaves pitch it to Carlos. We used to chant DUUUU when Jimmy dubose carried the ball. Emmitt was amazing I saw every home game he played at UF. They knew he was coming and still he got those yards. He humbled aluBama in his first start, Look it up. Why did we love these losers? Because they were OUR PLAYERS. They gave us lots of joy and fun. We came so gdmm close a few times. Dickey had jawja beat it seemed with a 27-10 at half. SOS was gonna beat UGA and take us all the way but they killed him the 2nd half. Gddmm loser he was. We had jawja dead to rights before that Belue kid who couldnt pass worth a shttt lucked out. That team of ours. Just fcn losers.

I lived and breathed Fla football as a kid and into the 70s and 80s. We had fun cheeering our teams that came close many times. Which is why SOS is a God to many of us. Losers? I guess but I loved following those early teams...............

You just don't get it do you. We love this team and we love being Gators. When I walk into a room, I've already ahead because I'm a Gator. But who wants to go back to those days where we were an also-ran. Even SOS doesn't want to go back to being "losers". And SOS chides Mullen when he gives him cheap little bottles of wine and tells him he'll get something better when he actually wins something.

I, and most fans, don't want to go back to what you described above. As I said, you just don't get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.