How we learned to love losers

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
You just don't get it do you. We love this team and we love being Gators. When I walk into a room, I've already ahead because I'm a Gator. But who wants to go back to those days where we were an also-ran. Even SOS doesn't want to go back to being "losers". And SOS chides Mullen when he gives him cheap little bottles of wine and tells him he'll get something better when he actually wins something.

I, and most fans, don't want to go back to what you described above. As I said, you just don't get it.
I wouldn't mind an 80s defense.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
blah blah blah blah

Maybe you should just stop following the modern teams and go sing cumbayah my lord in your garage man cave while watching old vhs tapes of gator games from yesteryear. Stop forcing your personal memorials on the rest of us as if that is the way it was because that is how you perceived it.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
tenor.gif

Winner

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Only a loser would write a thread like this

This. And I am definitely NOT in the crazy "fire Cousin Eddie immediately" camp. He's done some good work, and done some things I think we all expected - feared, actually - but for me, the jury's still out. Although I will say if he doesn't make huge changes with the defensive coaching staff immediately after OU hangs 60 on us, the jury will be back in and the verdict will be "guilty" and the sentence will be death. Like the way I drew out the metaphor??

And to the OP: I kinda miss the days when you were pouting quietly after Ox dropped the hammer on Sas. Any chance you can go back to that? :lol:

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
You just don't get it do you. We love this team and we love being Gators. When I walk into a room, I've already ahead because I'm a Gator. But who wants to go back to those days where we were an also-ran. Even SOS doesn't want to go back to being "losers". And SOS chides Mullen when he gives him cheap little bottles of wine and tells him he'll get something better when he actually wins something.

I, and most fans, don't want to go back to what you described above. As I said, you just don't get it.
Oh i get it fine. Its ok to call your own players losers now. After Eagles fans booed Santa Claus it was fair game..........
Who wants to go back, Rocket? Certianly not me. I lived through those heartbreaking times. Took it to heart. But it was our team. Our players. But by the "metrics" in here by many they are all losers. But they will have some fun with me about it and ignore it. No problem. If I have learned one thing in the worlds of sports and competing and teaching same is that if you call someone a loser it is more a self definition. Now Ox will run in and tell me that "maybe this is not the place for you because it is for venting" Well I guess Im venting a little.
In
All
Kinds
of Weather.......

corch!!

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
I actually remember being in class with John Reaves and Carlos Alvarez. Not heroes, football players getting an education. John got caught up in the drugs of the late 60s and early 70s but Carlos didn't. I sat in a pouring rainstorm to see us tie a #5 LSU squad and walked to Corry Village happier than a pig in slop. My new (and current) wife opined about how crazy I was. The football team (or BB, BB2, soccer, SB, etc.) is not the University; they are indications of what we feel is important. That is not winning a any cost; it is leaving your heart on the field even when your getting your butt kicked. I want to win and I want Championships won by teams I would be proud to bring to church with me. You know, Tebow and Wuerffel kind of guys. The University doesn't get its identity from athletics, the athletic teams represent the best of the University.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
That was either the one Nat Moore .
Ahem.... the name is Natz Moore. who also gave us Percy Harvins and Dan Mullinz. Many others.

Great Gator.

Last edited:

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I would trade Mullen for Charlie Pell in a nanosecond.
Charlie did as much for UF than any other person besides SOS. Got the bull gators going and Benny Hill's chckbook opened. He was the closest thing to the Bear bama ever produced. Tried to play by Bear rules and they crucified him.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
With respect coach...

Today a DC makes more than many HC...and still sucks

Player opt out? Really...maybe they should reimburse the University for all the education and training?

Players dance around on the field for a good play...even when they are down two scores.

Players do STUPID personal injuries fouls and the coaches make excuses for them.

We have coaches complaining about crowd noise during COVID.

We have coaches running on the field almost inciting a riot.

Yeah and in normal times we have a President who could care less about Football, student attendance, or campus is overrun with Chinese Nationals and Chinese Grant money.

Coach in all kinds of weather...years ago Grantham would be GONE.

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
So...we are ok with being where Tennessee has been for the last 15 or so years...or that's what I'm reading.

That’s sort of the irony here. The vols were just sure that they could do better than Fulmer, who’d actually been in decline for 5 years. They’ve had Kiffin, Dooley, Jones and Pruitt, the past 12 years(possibly looking for #5 this off-season), have missed bowl games most of those years, and are a complete dumpster fire that may need a decade to correct.

And yet that’s the mentality that several here are employing. Anyone would be an upgrade over Mullen. They’re lining the street with better options and slam dunk candidates. That’s where some of us say, no thanks. I want to see improvements but will take my chances on what we have right now going forward rather than risk that. As I’ve said 100 times, what made Mullen the right hire was that he wasn’t another wrong hire(see Frost, Kelly, Brohm, anyone else Law preferred, etc). Doesn’t necessarily mean he takes us back to the top. But he wasn’t the guy to further destroy the program and has done some good.

Btw, none of this diminishes the fact that this thread is Top-5 worst ever. I’m not championing that view at all. Then again, I’m not hammered midday either, so bear with him.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
That’s sort of the irony here. The vols were just sure that they could do better than Fulmer, who’d actually been in decline for 5 years. They’ve had Kiffin, Dooley, Jones and Pruitt, the past 12 years(possibly looking for #5 this off-season), have missed bowl games most of those years, and are a complete dumpster fire that may need a decade to correct.

And yet that’s the mentality that several here are employing. Anyone would be an upgrade over Mullen. They’re lining the street with better options and slam dunk candidates. That’s where some of us say, no thanks. I want to see improvements but will take my chances on what we have right now going forward rather than risk that. As I’ve said 100 times, what made Mullen the right hire was that he wasn’t another wrong hire(see Frost, Kelly, Brohm, anyone else Law preferred, etc). Doesn’t necessarily mean he takes us back to the top. But he wasn’t the guy to further destroy the program and has done some good.

Mullen was a low ceiling / high floor guy. At the time it's important, hoping that the ceiling could get higher. The problem paid for a high ceiling/high floor guy. Which we are not getting.

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
Before the greatest coach in SEC history showed up Fla fans loved losing. We must have because we lost a lot but were loyal to a fault. We cheered just as hard back then. I began my gator life in the early 60s with Ray Graves. Ray won about 70% of his games but never got that hardware. He was a loser. Let me add the rest of the "losers" to the list of those that never won hardware.(as players) Steve Spurrier, Jack Youngblood. Jimmy Dubose (first 1000yrd rusher) Emmit Smith, Scott Brantley, Wilbur Marshall, Fergie Ferguson (WW2 hero who died from wounds later on) Larry Dupree (who played against georgia and led us to victory even though his wife lost a baby right before the game) Wes Chandler (possibly the greatest athlete ever to play football for UF)
Louis Oliver and Jarvis (a lethal pair of secondary player for uf) David Galloway who played Def tackle like an NFL star till he ruined his knee)

There were many more losers in Fla history. Too many to name. But we embraced those losers because they were our heroes. We loved their flair and how hard they played. But losers all. I loved seeing SOS throw to Casey. Or Johnny Reaves pitch it to Carlos. We used to chant DUUUU when Jimmy dubose carried the ball. Emmitt was amazing I saw every home game he played at UF. They knew he was coming and still he got those yards. He humbled aluBama in his first start, Look it up. Why did we love these losers? Because they were OUR PLAYERS. They gave us lots of joy and fun. We came so gdmm close a few times. Dickey had jawja beat it seemed with a 27-10 at half. SOS was gonna beat UGA and take us all the way but they killed him the 2nd half. Gddmm loser he was. We had jawja dead to rights before that Belue kid who couldnt pass worth a shttt lucked out. That team of ours. Just fcn losers.

I lived and breathed Fla football as a kid and into the 70s and 80s. We had fun cheeering our teams that came close many times. Which is why SOS is a God to many of us. Losers? I guess but I loved following those early teams...............
This is the dumbest schit i have ever read

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Mullen was a low ceiling / high floor guy. At the time it's important, hoping that the ceiling could get higher. The problem paid for a high ceiling/high floor guy. Which we are not getting.

No argument from me there. I said that repeatedly at the time. The question you have to ask, though, is why did we overpay? And it’s pretty simple. Our A.D., Mr. Mun-dee, decided to make a spectacle of the process and was publicly left at the altar by the big names we’d pursued, forcing him to settle and grovel in the process. As far as I know, that guy would be making the call again. So as I said, no thanks. You can even genuinely dislike Mullen and still recognize that we got lucky because of who’s run the show.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
The amusing part is you could be a hugely successful business tycoon, military hero, dedicated family man, respected deacon in your church, donate heavily to those in need and win championships as a volunteer coach in the community.but God forbid you enjoy Gator sports....win, lose or draw....and support the players and programs....then you are a loser. Why? Because you support mediocrity and anyone who does that is a loser. Winners refuse to accept anything but championships from their college teams.

Coach is just an old dude (as I am )who grew up with the Gators. He lived and died with every ups and down and stays loyal to his Gators and enjoys the process. Good on him.
I keep telling my wife we should buy a condo in Gainesville just to attend more games and watch more sports. We could be that older couple in the corner who knows all the players names. I’m more excited about that prospect than she is. Damn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.