How will recruiting be affected?

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
FIRST off - last year was his only solid receuiting year and it wasn’t worth crap a week before NSD. They completely pulled a rabbit out of a hat.

This year’s class looks awesome but it’s still not signed. But how about this: ZERO Top 20 State of Florida kids in this upcoming class.

Here is some info regarding the historical recruiting against our rivals and why keeping him would further castrate our program.

- In the state of Florida, the Gators struggled under McElwain. Including IMG Academy prospects, McElwain signed only two Top 20 players in the state in 2017 (
Zachary Carter
and Robinson) and zero in the Top 10. In 2016, Florida signed only two in the Top 20 again, with both being in the Top 10 (
Chauncey Gardner
Feleipe Franks
). By comparison, in 2017 Florida State signed five in the top 20, and in 2016 the Seminoles signed four in the Top 20. Miami signed more Top 20 players, as well in 2016. And so far in 2018, Miami and FSU have seven Top 20 players from the state of Florida commit, while the Gators have none. And in-state players like
Tyreke Johnson
, who many felt should be Gator locks, fell off their interest in Florida and appear to be headed elsewhere. The bottom line under McElwain is that there have been way too many big recruiting losses and not enough local wins as in-state recruiting has fallen off.

Read more...

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Recruiting is very important and we all know how missing badly on a class can be problematic in the future, but in all honesty I think that the timing of the change is perfect and am not overly concerned about this particular class. As most know I am the last person to wear the O&B glasses and call it as I see it, but my view is this.On offense there are adequate numbers at every position, I personally think there is adequate talent (maybe not QB), if not good talent at almost all positions of underclassmen. We have had 3 years of almost ZERO talent development, so a coach who can teach and develop should be able to move the ball enough to show future recruits that he knows what he is doing.

On defense, we also have more than adequate numbers. Now talent is debatable in the front 7, but again if we can get just a hint of development we should be serviceable. There is plenty of numbers in the secondary of underclassmen and all have played.

All I am saying is the numbers are sufficient to get thru next year, even if the class does not pan out. And objectively speaking I think there is just enough talent and athletic ability than a good coach can make enough of a dent to get recruiting back on track in year 2. For that reason I am more worried about the coaching hire more so than this particular class.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I am just hoping that the new coach can help keep Corral in the class. Corral himself will keep many of them in the fold.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If we had waited until the end of the season to fire Mac we would have suffered. As it is I expect us to be better off than we've been in years.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Well let's see. Any players worth a damn will sign Dec 20. A new coach won't be announced until after Dec 7 or so. We will find out real quick what recruits think of the new hire.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not worried at all. The fact that we are the first and biggest program looking for a coach is going to create a lot of buzz. Players, whether their committed to UF now or not, are going to take notice. Kids like to be part of the new big thing. If we land a big name or one with lot's of energy and upside who brings excitement and flair we're going to reap huge dividends with recruiting.

And God bless him, Matt Corral looks to be working harder than McElwain did to get and keep this class. If we get that exciting coach most of the kids will stick and quite possibly sway some others to jump on the bandwagon.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It's done nothing but improve our outlook for recruiting any offensive positions.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
UF is getting rid of an HC and his assisstants who have shown that they cannot develop players at any position. UF will replace them with an HC and crew who are passionate for fun-winning football. That will put UF recruiting on the peak plane above past years. Young men will be developed so they'll get better year after year, all while jumping for joy on the t.v. sidelines for future recruits to observe.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
If the hire is Kelly, Mullen some other option spread guy, we will necessarily be looking for other players anyway. Mac type players arent option types.

8802Gator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Keep Corrall and everything else will take care of itself. We have the huge advantage of starting our search now and hopefully getting someone in place that will get in the recruits ears asap. Maybe this class will suffer in the transition, but recruiting cant get any worse than it has been so no place but up for the future.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
We will know better when the first quarter of 2018 school starts, if all or most of those that planned to enroll are here we are good, if not it is still a question.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I'm not worried at all. The fact that we are the first and biggest program looking for a coach is going to create a lot of buzz. Players, whether their committed to UF now or not, are going to take notice. Kids like to be part of the new big thing. If we land a big name or one with lot's of energy and upside who brings excitement and flair we're going to reap huge dividends with recruiting.

And God bless him, Matt Corral looks to be working harder than McElwain did to get and keep this class. If we get that exciting coach most of the kids will stick and quite possibly sway some others to jump on the bandwagon.

Listen to this man!

If we get a "splash" hire our class will be similar to what Kirby Smart had going into his first year. Richt left him a solid base of committed recruits, which (fortunately) is what Butters has done for the next guy.

I suspect we lose a few, but I also suspect we add a few good/better ones (Gammage can walk if he wants, I don't think any of us will be upset losing a 3-star WR).

We just need to hope we make a splash hire and it happens at least 2 weeks before the early signing day.

BTW, isn't there a dead period before the new signing day?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator