Founding Member
FB_IMG_1567129451932.jpg

Edit: This is humor for those who lack the ability to sense it

Last edited:

jeeping8r

Your car may go fast, Mine will go anywhere
Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2015
My Jeep CERT team was activated @2pm, Had a meeting at Marion EOC. We're expecting 10-20 inches of rain.... Problem is we're damn near full as it is. Most retention areas are almost level full.
I'll bet The Villages has major flooding as they like it flat as a billiard table, Save for a few spots around 466a. Last I heard they had closed 21 golf courses because they've been having to pump out their retention areas.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
But seriously, y’all be safe and keep your families safe.

Buckman2000

Oct 1, 2016
People have lost their minds in the Fort Myers area. I rode out Irma with a pack of water, lots of liquor and my charcoal grill for cooking. We’ll be fine. So we’re having a hurricane/packing party. Last hurricane before we move to upstate NY.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
People have lost their minds in the Fort Myers area. I rode out Irma with a pack of water, lots of liquor and my charcoal grill for cooking. We’ll be fine. So we’re having a hurricane/packing party. Last hurricane before we move to upstate NY.

:lol: Fort Meyers/Naples is probably the safest spot to run to.

In Ocala... we are pretty much out of gas. Water, at any store, ran out yesterday. I am freaking loaded with beer and gas for the chainsaw... what else could I possibly need?

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
If you think gas and supplies are in short supply right now in N Central FL, wait til all those SFL evacs come north.

GatorFL

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2017
Well the new track puts the eye dead center over my place. I have a lot of supplies and and getting shuttered up today. But I’m pretty concerned.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If you think gas and supplies are in short supply right now in N Central FL, wait til all those SFL evacs come north.

I have been curious to see how this plays out this time. Evacuation and traffic was an absolute train wreck during Irma that I wonder if people are going to say eff it with trying to escape north.

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
If I was in SFL inland of landfall, and it didn't get any stronger than 130mph, I'd stay as long as I wasn't in a flood zone and in a well built home.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Yesterday evening it started tracking almost due north. None of the models or predictions had it doing that. I was looking at the satellite footage this morning and it moved north quite a bit. Based on that and the fact that there is a strong steering current moving from south to north a little bit off the eastern florida coast, Im starting to think this thing misses Florida and smacks jawja.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
If I was in SFL inland of landfall, and it didn't get any stronger than 130mph, I'd stay as long as I wasn't in a flood zone and in a well built home.

Seems like we have this discussion annually. But yes, homes are completely different post Andrew, and can take nearly anything thrown at them. Add in that palm trees bend a lot more than oak and pine, and it’s much more tame than people think. Doesn’t mean you can’t have roof issues, but even that isn’t a definite if things are built well. I’ve evacuated once for Frances and will never again. The way these storms have been recently, unless you’re prepared to leave the state and then guess it right in whether to go East or West, you’re probably going to spend 10-15 hours on the road—dangerous in itself—just to get to NoFla and may still lose power and still be at risk. Storms are too big now and no longer seem to just skirt the coast and wreck NC instead like they used to.

We took nasty hits from Frances, Jean, Wilma, and others and never even had a seal leak on my windows. Same with my in-laws. It’s not ideal, but it’s the risk you run living in Florida(all of it apparently now).

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
But yes, homes are completely different post Andrew
True, but still insufficient. It hasnt been the post Andrew homes that have remained unscathed during big ones, it's been the post Katrina ones. Codes were upped significantly from Andrew requirements in the mid 2000s, partly because of Katrina. Here in Panama City a lot of the homes that were post Andrew but not Katrina sustained significant damage, many catastrophic, however, the vast majority of post Katrina builds had little to no damage. My neighbohood is an excellent example - we have about 40% post Andrew built and the rest post Katrina (neighborhood was being developed in that early to mid 2000s window). Of that 40%, most of them sustained significant damage, of the ones that were built after the new codes, the worst damage was roof shingling.

It was really striking to see first hand after the storm. Lots of completely trashed homes, right next to ones that were in perfect condition - only difference was the trashed ones were 3-4 years older.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator