Hurricane Ian / Nicole Thread

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
the good news(or bad depending on who you ask) is I survived. The bad is I’ll be fixing or paying to have things fixed for a while. Narrowly avoided flooding between 2am and 5am(thank God for the 2 pumps I deployed on the front and rear of the house)despite being mocked and ridiculed by 2 members of this board the day of the storm. Here’s few pics from my phone which posting from for the first time since I have no cable or internet. Btw prayers for anyone in SW Fl. or anyone with family there. This storm was 100X worse for them than for me or any of us in C. Fl.
Meh, your wife can pay for that with her carry around cash

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
We've heard from some friends in New Smyrna and Port Orange, they've lost everything due to flooding. Saw some pictures earlier with water up to near roofs.

We still don't have power.

My family didn’t lose everything, and are still out of town. But the next door neighbor was ankle deep and has suggested they’re the same. Not good.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
My cousin and his mom also live in Port Orange in New Smyrna.

His moms house, luckily water never made it into the house but covered the whole property otherwise.

My cousins house, however is on a bay off the Halifax in Port Orange...he said 4 to 7" of water throughout the entire house.

Luckily they had already bought another house and had this one on the market, so they have somewhere to go.

Last edited:

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Looking at the pics it’s like Andrew and Katrina had a bastard child. Just N of St Aug, I had 4 inches in garage, but we planned for it, no biggie. No water in house, the marsh gods were kind to us.

Started using that canned gas in my saws and such years ago. Don’t burn that much fuel anymore. Zero carb problems since then. Always kept a spare carb for the gen on hand. Started draining fuel, and running a bit of the canned gas through gen to shut down. Haven’t needed a spare carb since. Always non ethanol and put stabil or startron in the can at the pump.

Only lost power about 18 hours. Yesterday my neighbor was grumbling at me starting gen in morning. Me, I’m making espresso. His wife, my ******* husband would like to apologize for his behavior;)

revgator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
We did ok in my part of central FL. My mother and sister are on their way from Port Charlotte because it's complete devestation there. With Charlie they lost power for 15 days I'm sure it will be just as long this time around. I only wish they came sooner!

OBG

Lifetime Member
Nov 14, 2017
Still no power. Wife and kids are staying at friends that have it. I'm too stuborn to leave.

Born2beagator

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
I just got power back yesterday, internet today. No major damage in lakeland to speak of. BUt we usually get the weak side being in the center of the state

OBG

Lifetime Member
Nov 14, 2017
That’s gotta feel like a little slice of heaven!
Sure does. However, I will say it's been really nice out the past few nights with temps in the mid 60s. Much better than losing power during an August hurricane.

Treebeard

Oops, just stepped on a Lorax.
Lifetime Member
Dec 23, 2015
So I said I would try to share some things from my current assignment in Lee County/Ft. Myers. This will be kind of a random listing of commentary as I don't have the time or spare brain cells to compose. Sorry if a little long.
  • Currently working the night shift at the Lee County EOC. Well over a hundred people in the main situation room here during the day, only about 15 at night.
  • I'm working a Logistics desk to process orders submitted through a program called WebEOC. Orders can be anything from a few cases of sunscreen for responders working on the islands to truckloads of water or MREs for large scale distribution to the public.
  • I am fortunate to have a working hotel to go to after my shift (15 hours). Many in the EOC from here have no power and damage of their own at home, yet they are here. A number of them sleep here in cots stuffed in various rooms and offices, but that number is going down.
  • This is a good working environment. Definitely a "git-r-done" approach.
  • Being in a building separates you somewhat from how hard things are "out there". One of the most heartbreaking stories here was of people in the EOC manning help lines - not 911 - during the storm. Some calls came to them from people trapped in their homes by rising water. You can say "they should have evacuated" all you want but I can't imagine being on the phone with someone who has realized they are about to die.
  • It is hard to imagine how much "stuff" is here. Light towers, generators, forklifts, boats, barges, fuel trucks for responders, trailers of tarps, water MREs, some ice (not provided as much as it used to be), portapotties, ambulances...the list goes on.
  • LEOs and FDs from everywhere. Backfill, traffic control, guarding/patrolling, still search and rescue going on, 911 calls, etc.
  • A huge priority is getting driving access to Sanibel Island. Efforts being made to get the dump truck loads of sand and rock out there quickly, even using traffic control. I suggested JATOs, but somehow not implemented. :cry2:
  • All for now. Questions and comments welcome if I can get to them.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
So I said I would try to share some things from my current assignment in Lee County/Ft. Myers. This will be kind of a random listing of commentary as I don't have the time or spare brain cells to compose. Sorry if a little long.
  • Currently working the night shift at the Lee County EOC. Well over a hundred people in the main situation room here during the day, only about 15 at night.
  • I'm working a Logistics desk to process orders submitted through a program called WebEOC. Orders can be anything from a few cases of sunscreen for responders working on the islands to truckloads of water or MREs for large scale distribution to the public.
  • I am fortunate to have a working hotel to go to after my shift (15 hours). Many in the EOC from here have no power and damage of their own at home, yet they are here. A number of them sleep here in cots stuffed in various rooms and offices, but that number is going down.
  • Being in a building separates you somewhat from how hard things are "out there". One of the most heartbreaking stories here was of people in the EOC manning help lines - not 911 - during the storm. Some calls came to them from people trapped in their homes by rising water. You can say "they should have evacuated" all you want but I can't imagine being on the phone with someone who has realized they are about to die.
  • It is hard to imagine how much "stuff" is here. Light towers, generators, forklifts, boats, barges, fuel trucks for responders, trailers of tarps, water MREs, some ice (not provided as much as it used to be), portapotties, ambulances...the list goes on.
  • LEOs and FDs from everywhere. Backfill, traffic control, guarding/patrolling, still search and rescue going on, 911 calls, etc.
  • A huge priority is getting driving access to Sanibel Island. Efforts being made to get the dump truck loads of sand and rock out there quickly, even using traffic control. I suggested JATOs, but somehow not implemented. :cry2:
Blessings and prayers, Tree
I grew up in Cape Coral. First moved there when Sanibel still had a ferry. That was home for many years. This is sad.
I'll say this, as bad as it is, DeSantis is lightyears ahead of most Governors.

may tim tebow GIF

Tay Bang

I might have been mean to Byrd
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018

Good job tree. You have my thanks and support.

Treebeard

Oops, just stepped on a Lorax.
Lifetime Member
Dec 23, 2015
So a couple more notes.

As a tree guy I'm interested in damage to trees. I'm not located too close to the beach islands. The tree damage is far less just a short distance in compared to Michael. This seems to be a reflection of how slow the storm was moving so the winds that devastated the coast dropped considerably inland. Michael was snapping off stands of trees 70 miles in, even to Georgia.

As some of you have personally described, high water from rain/flooding will likely be the biggest issue inland, rather than wind.

Saw this picture online of guys from my agency. I don't know either of them personally. Based on his red helmet, the guy on the left is new to the agency. Heck of a way to start.

Attachments

• FFS_rescue..JPG
    FFS_rescue..JPG
    81 KB · Views: 17

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members