Hurricane Ian / Nicole Thread

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
I saw the same here. Katrina was a serious water event and you know what that did.

Ida was a wind event, snapping power poles and trees like twigs.

Both were/are devastating but IMHO water events are far worse.

Last edited:

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
The cost of yeller wood going to go up for sure. That section of Flagler and A1A doesn’t seem long for this world. Up in St John’s, they got temporary fill in the washed out A1A super fast. I have been surprised they haven’t pounded in a seawall at that location as it always gets flow.

OBG

Lifetime Member
Nov 14, 2017
Lots of destroyed beach front homes and condos in the Daytona area

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
They'll make it so only the uber rich (and I don't mean car drivers) will be able to live at the coast. It's happening here. Many here (LA) are just going without insurance but that takes CA$H...You ain't getting a loan.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
They'll make it so only the uber rich (and I don't mean car drivers) will be able to live at the coast. It's happening here. Many here (LA) are just going without insurance but that takes CA$H...You ain't getting a loan.
Actually Nola, if we put our "true conservative" hats on, ONLY the uber rich should be able to afford to live on the beach where hurricanes can hit, or true flood zones, or earthquake zones.

I saw Thomas Sowell interviewed once about 20 years ago. His point was that as long as the Federal govt pays for the recovery in these places, these "disasters" only get bigger and bigger because more and more people move to those areas as long as its subsidized.

He said, "If we let insurance rates go to their true level of risk, there would only be 10 people on the beach and maybe 15 people in all of San Francisco."

Don't hate on the "uber rich," hate on the jacked up system that has strayed so far from the Constitutional role of government that its unrecognizable.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Actually Nola, if we put our "true conservative" hats on, ONLY the uber rich should be able to afford to live on the beach where hurricanes can hit, or true flood zones, or earthquake zones.

I saw Thomas Sowell interviewed once about 20 years ago. His point was that as long as the Federal govt pays for the recovery in these places, these "disasters" only get bigger and bigger because more and more people move to those areas as long as its subsidized.

He said, "If we let insurance rates go to their true level of risk, there would only be 10 people on the beach and maybe 15 people in all of San Francisco."

Don't hate on the "uber rich," hate on the jacked up system that has strayed so far from the Constitutional role of government that its unrecognizable.
You and your fuchsing logic.

sharkbite

Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2017
Lived in New Smyrna Beach for 17 years on the water. Had a seawall that was never breached.....till 2020. Only came up a foot into the yard but it was enough for me to say enough. Packed my crap and sold the house. Now in TN where I do not have to worry about this every year. Do not miss it at all.

Spectator

Jan 15, 2021
My avatar is Daytona Beach Shores. I said Tuesday the erosion is going to be the worst we've ever seen. Still never thought it would or could be anywhere near this bad.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I live in NC and it's been raining cats and dogs all day here. Can you folks learn how to contain that **** down there please?

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018

I'm not hating on anyone. I stating facts. Living at the beach will be for the rich. In my day, the beach was vacationers and low income...funny how things change.

Here is very different. Fisherman, oystermen, oil workers live at the coast, Except for fishing camps, it's the working man. They are being pushed out. The cost of seafood and oil will be influenced.

And you are so right, the market needs to be allowed to work. All I'm saying is FL's coast will be like Palm Beach or huge condos (Dilute the building cost by going up).

No hate just fact.

Spectator

Jan 15, 2021
25 homes and 24 condo/hotel buildings evacuated because of erosion, per the sheriff. Ten of them are 10 to 22 stories tall. And that is only Volusia County.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Lived in New Smyrna Beach for 17 years on the water. Had a seawall that was never breached.....till 2020. Only came up a foot into the yard but it was enough for me to say enough. Packed my crap and sold the house. Now in TN where I do not have to worry about this every year. Do not miss it at all.

You’ll soon be eaten by a bear.

I’m sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.