Hurricane Irma check-in / status report

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Mother nature is a bvtch. In all the destruction and chaos I hope all will have a nice laugh at this.

Rick Scott's epic sign language interpreter....looks like he was randomly placed in the video by a heck of a video editor or he was faking it all. I don't know if the National Sign Language Interpreter Association has an annual competition for best interpreter because it seems they keep getting more dramatic and hilarious.

I kept waiting for one of them to start grabbing his/her throat, waving wildly, silent scream etc.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
My office is on a Robinson just west of Mills & a big chunk of that tree is in our east side parking lot. Another big branch knocked 20+ holes in the roof of the building we lease out. Already patched & repair of one spot where a big limb came all the way through is scheduled.

I need to redo our enclosure panels but none of our blew out either. There is so much tree debris and damage, yet I bet in a few weeks most of life will be back to normal except where the flooding hit.
Our office building is on the corner of Mills and Robinson, beige 2 story historical building....Let me know if we can help in any way.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
My BIL's sister's house in Black Creek in Middleburg.....

IMG_2712.jpg

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Still without power, work crews are everywhere, but my neighborhood is still down.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You know when the muthafuking coast guard shows up to get into your inland neighborhood..... there are problems.
IMG_2713.jpg

I know they got a ton of water, but Middleburg must be very low.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I know they got a ton of water, but Middleburg must be very low.

Not certain. They have lived on this lot for over 25 years and have never seen water from Black Creek. They are like 6 blocks away from it. She said the homes directly on the creek are built on stilts because of known floods but nobody can remember water going more than a block or so away. I think they got about 18 inches of rain, coupled with Black Creek is tied to the St Johns... which saw massive surge and flooding. My best friend lives directly on the St Johns kinda near Green Cove Springs. The old timers on his street have lived there over 50 years and keep telling him water has never come over the bulkheads/seawalls. It didnt even come close during Mathew. It went many feet over there. All the rebuilt docks are 100% gone.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Clean up done, both at my place and the mother in law's. She lives on the primary drainage canal for Broward County and we feared her house had been flooded. Cheers all around when we pulled up yesterday to find the salt water made it to her yard, but not into the house.

Then when we got back home, I screwed up and broke a Man Law. I failed to not belittle use of a chainsaw. My wife saw the glean in my eye when I started cutting limbs off a felled tree in our backyard - such joy! So when she figured out it was having fun, she insisted on an immediate in service on use. And then she didn't want to give the saw up for the rest of the project. :sadnanner:
Pines, glad you are all safe and sound. Now, I'm not as current as I should be on the Man Law and your breech, but if I'm remembering correctly, it's ok for you to instruct the missus and turn her loose with the chain saw as long as you spent an equal amount of time washing and folding clothes, dusting, etc. Quid Pro Quo I believe. Or is that the Woman's Law I'm thinking about? :)

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
We started clean up today. Still no power. Inside the house it is 90 degrees. I've been dripping sweat for days now. I smell like an unwashed nole or vol. :barfaway:
My immediate estimate is this hurricane could cost me 250-300k in damages with the insurance paying 100k at most. We are already battling. I'm using dollar amounts to show how much damage was done. It's bad. I'm glad you guys are safe. Go gators!!!

Holy crap. Keep us posted Maheo.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
My BIL's sister's house in Black Creek in Middleburg.....

IMG_2712.jpg

Man sorry to see that, Brad. Losing everything in an instant, memories, pictures, etc. would be crushing to even imagine. Feels horrible to be sitting here with no issues and see something like that. Again, really sorry you and your family are having to deal with that.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Man sorry to see that, Brad. Losing everything in an instant, memories, pictures, etc. would be crushing to even imagine. Feels horrible to be sitting here with no issues and see something like that. Again, really sorry you and your family are having to deal with that.

Well, I am 100% fine where I am at and all of my immediate family is fine up in Jax. I'll be heading up there this weekend to help out in any way possible.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Latest update in the G'ville area. Gas was available at all stations where I pass the interstate. They were busy but with minimal wait. Publix still has some empty slots, but mostly stocked shelves.

I-75 is not expected to be closed, but it could still happen. Water is receding at the bridge, but they are called unforeseen circumstances for a reason. I have no idea what the hotel situation is, but I'm not seeing packed lots at the hotels I pass. So take it for what it's worth.

Game day should be fine, but expect to experience abnormal inconveniences. Not everything with be game day ready.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Who's you Home Owners Policy with?

State Farm. Everything in the house is fine. I have extensive ceiling and floor damage. That isn't being fought over. They are taking care of it. It is the dock, bulk head, and area in front of and around the bulk head. That is large portion of the figure I gave and what we aere fighting over as to what caused the damage. In reality, it was wind, splash damage, and debris. They are cherrying picking and saying this did it and not that.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
You know when the muthafuking coast guard shows up to get into your inland neighborhood..... there are problems.
IMG_2713.jpg

Truly sorry to see you and your family are facing that situation. I hope my fellow puddle pirates take good care of you!!

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
It was uhhh... ummmm... just a horrible thing there... just, ya know... you never want to see such tragedy... uhh.... hit people. And yet... we were without power for 3 whole days. There were some branches in my front lawn and uhhhh.... well, it took the lawn guy 2 days to come clean them up. The lobster tails I had in the freezer thawed out so I was forced to feed them to clarabelle... and yet, she really enjoyed them.

We had a couple lawn chairs fall over, and yet... we'll rebuild. But I'm not sure uhhhh... if it will be the same, uhhh... not sure if anything will ever be the same again. And yet, we'll get out there on Saturday... real excited.

/Mac

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Update, 9:40 a.m., Sept. 14

A portion Interstate 75 is no longer expected to be shut down, Bradford County Emergency Management announced this morning.

“Waters expected to flood over I-75 have begun to recede,” said the announcement, which comes a day after officials described the closure as “likely” and had suggested motorists begin taking detour routes, if possible, to avoid a portion of the road north of Gainesville.

https://www.wuft.org/news/2017/09/13/irma-floodwaters-could-shut-down-part-of-i-75/

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator