Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
The ultimate campus move-in challenge: Rehoming UF’s iconic bat colony

iu

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
When the one fell apart the bats invaded other buildings.

it is a cool sight at sunset when they all come out to eat.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
When the one fell apart the bats invaded other buildings.

it is a cool sight at sunset when they all come out to eat.
When i was there I think I remember them living in the track/tennis bleachers and in the various walled off fireplace chimneys over near Murphree area.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
When i was there I think I remember them living in the track/tennis bleachers and in the various walled off fireplace chimneys over near Murphree area.
Correct. Then they built the bat houses to migrate the bats away from the bleachers. Over the years UF has had to repair the bat houses due to the number of bats living in them. G8tr Tom mentioned it, but at sunset they fly out of the house and it's a sight to see. It's a stream of bats like you've never seen.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
This "bat" cave is only about 7 or 8 miles from my house. My family went to see them exit the cave to feed one evening a few years ago. It was an impressive site actually but you had to have rain gear on or you would be covered with bat droppings. We checked that box and I'm not interested in doing it again. If the UF bats are not endangered, they need to be moved as far away as is practical IMO.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
This "bat" cave is only about 7 or 8 miles from my house. My family went to see them exit the cave to feed one evening a few years ago. It was an impressive site actually but you had to have rain gear on or you would be covered with bat droppings. We checked that box and I'm not interested in doing it again. If the UF bats are not endangered, they need to be moved as far away as is practical IMO.
You'd rather suffer the bugs that wouldn't be eat'n?

flg8rfan

Nov 28, 2018

Every time I take people there for their first time I always tell them to keep their mouth closed and ‘it’s not rain’….

Yeah bats are great pest control, I love having them around.

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017

Some rugged terrain in the Nickajack.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
You'd rather suffer the bugs that wouldn't be eat'n?
Where did I say or imply that I would rather be eaten by the bugs? Fact is, it isn't healthy for humans to be that close to a colony of bats since they carry diseases like rabies and such. FWIW, I don't mind the bats that are near me (a few miles) but those at UF I would be leery of and keep my distance... ;)

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Where did I say or imply that I would rather be eaten by the bugs? Fact is, it isn't healthy for humans to be that close to a colony of bats since they carry diseases like rabies and such. FWIW, I don't mind the bats that are near me (a few miles) but those at UF I would be leery of and keep my distance... ;)

Once you said you want the bats gone, you then are saying you want to be eaten by bugs. Bats eat bugs.

You may have an unhealthy relationship with bats...

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Once you said you want the bats gone, you then are saying you want to be eaten by bugs. Bats eat bugs.

You may have an unhealthy relationship with bats...

You are aware that bats don't eat ALL of the bugs, right? There are other birds that also help with that. And for the record, moving a colony of bats wouldn't "get rid" of the bats entirely as there will always be some around. Just doesn't seem safe to me for a colony of bats to be that close to people since they are well known to carry/transmit rabies and other diseases...

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
You are aware that bats don't eat ALL of the bugs, right? There are other birds that also help with that. And for the record, moving a colony of bats wouldn't "get rid" of the bats entirely as there will always be some around. Just doesn't seem safe to me for a colony of bats to be that close to people since they are well known to carry/transmit rabies and other diseases...

So true and good on them birds.

So, I haven't looked at the numbers but I'd be surprised if the number of bat bitings that result in a rabies case are more than the 3 hillbilly's in Bama that actually propped that ladder up against the pole and used power tools from Harbor Freight to take down, and relocate, a bat house.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Correct. Then they built the bat houses to migrate the bats away from the bleachers. Over the years UF has had to repair the bat houses due to the number of bats living in them. G8tr Tom mentioned it, but at sunset they fly out of the house and it's a sight to see. It's a stream of bats like you've never seen.
Yup, the transition happened while we were there... the bat urine was eating the concrete of the bleachers

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
That is some powerful stuff. Might be a good product to sell as a solvent.
I think that's what it said in The Alligator back when they built the bat house... regardless, it's the rumor I continue to perpetuate. I do remember the big concern at the time is that they would "take" to the bat house, but they did.

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
Been there several times for it. Never got poo on me. They go right out over the lake.

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
They have been there over 25 years.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.