I need medical advice

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
That really is tragic and I can definitely sympathize with your uncle. I hope he was able to find some relief from the pain. Also, in an attempt to help prevent a similar situation for him in the future, might I suggest that he start using the "Search" function provided with this, and most all message board software? It really makes finding stuff pretty simple. ;)

View attachment 58550

The wife had two bad disks - with a good one in between. Several surgeons told her to wait for the one in the middle to go bad. I offered up either a hammer or a DeWalt drill to negatively affect the area. Denied.
Found a well renowned surgeon in Denver who wanted to do a discectomy (is that a real word?).
He had a lot of patients who had great results.
Got everything scheduled and… surgeon had a stroke.
Another year goes by and they finally just fused all three discs. Miserable surgery and recovery but zero pain in the last few years.
I’m having similar issues now and injections only last a week or so.
So - i’d say- do the disc replacement.

See my receptionist on the way out for your co-pay.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
@Nalt I have a little experience with discs, though mine (C4-5) were bulging not herniated. The pain though was pretty similar to what you’re going through. I ended up learning more than I needed to. Usually herniated discs don’t require surgery, like 90%. So either you’re in the 10% or need to get a second opinion - though it’s much more likely you are in the 10%. The surgery can usually bring relief with the surgeon removing the protruding part of the disc. It’s rare they have to remove the whole disc, but if so, they do a bone fusion. From everything I’ve read, bone fusion really blows and takes some time. At least you saved some time going to a neurosurgeon; a lot of folks start with an orthopedic and end up getting referred to the neuro. Hope some non invasive treatment works instead. Good luck

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
My mother (84) had a similar problem. She shuffled around for several months and between her drs (prescribed a series of painkillers) and insurance (denied an MRI until she completed 6 wks PT) was about ready to kill herself. We finally got her into a surgeon who was able to fast track the MRI. At his consultation, the surgeon told her that she had a couple of bulging discs, but the real problem was a small cyst between two of the discs in her lower back that were impinging nerves that led to the pain she had walking. He lined her up for surgery and told her that the procedure to remove the cyst and shave the bulges would take about an hour and that she’d walk out of the hospital with no pain except from the incision…and darn if that’s exactly the way it panned out!

The moral from her story is that there are a lot of doctors these days, but finding a good one is a great part of the battle. One of 5he first surgeons she saw simply told her she was too old and he couldn’t help her. Glad she kept looking.

Last edited:

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The hardest part with back surgery is finding a good surgeon and finding a surgeon who isn’t just looking to cut you.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
My mother (84) had a similar problem. She shuffled around for several months and between her drs (prescribed a series of painkillers) and insurance (denied an MRI until she completed 6 was PT) was about ready to kill herself. We finally got her into a surgeon who was able to fast track the MRI. At his consultation, the surgeon told her that she had a couple of bulging discs, but the real problem was a small cyst between two of the discs in her lower back that were impinging nerves that led to the pain she had walking. He lined her up for surgery and told her that the procedure to remove the cyst and shave the bulges would take about an hour and that she’d walk out of the hospital with no pain except from the incision…and darn if that’s exactly the way it panned out!

The moral from her story is that there are a lot of doctors these days, but finding a good one is a great part of the battle. One of 5he first surgeons she saw simply told her she was too old and he couldn’t help her. Glad she kept looking.
Sister had a similar story. She was in so much pain she could hardly walk at 50. The first surgeon decided she needed a metal rod in her back so she got a 2nd opinion. The 2nd surgeon found the cyst and removed it. Recovery went well. She was in pain again last year and feared the cyst came back but insurance wouldn’t pay for an MRI until she did PT multiple times. I told her to pay out of pocket and it was actually cheaper than her co-pay.

Last edited:

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Instead of starting a new thread, I found this one and decided to add to it with a question for anyone with experience in herniated discs.

Four weeks ago I woke up with a pretty bad crick in my neck. I remember rolling to my left side during the night when sleeping. I normally sleep on my back so that was odd. As the day went on the pain lessened to almost none. I went to bed that evening and woke up on Thursday morning with the crick again. Same story. Then on Friday morning, I had taken the day off so there was no urgency to get up early but when I did wake up I could hardly move. Getting out of bed was torturously painful. All day long I was in extreme pain which began to radiate into my shoulder and down into my shoulder blade. The next 3 weeks I was in absolute misery. I went to a chiropractor on Monday the 22nd of May and then went back on Tuesday. He wasn't giving me any relief so I decided to find another. I went to Chiro #2 on Wednesday and again Thursday morning. No relief. So when I left her office I decided to go back to Chiro #1. Drove straight to his office and they were closed. So for the next hour I drove around town looking for a chiro that could help. I called one before going to their office and the receptionist told me, "I"m sorry but we don't have any slots for you to come in." I decided that if I am in their office they couldn't turn me away so I went there. When I went in the receptionist again told me they wouldn't be able to help. So I started looking for another and finally found one, Chiro #3. This guy was very concerned and took several x-rays, put me in traction to try and decompress the nerve, and finished with a pretty good adjustment. He told me to come back later that afternoon. I did and then visited him daily again Friday and every day the next three weeks. I also decided to go to a medical clinic and ask for a script for some muscle relaxers. They called in the script and I started taking them just about bedtime. They let me get almost a full night's sleep.

I was able to get an appointment for yesterday (Monday, the 12th) to see a neurosurgeon. He looked at the MRI report that I had sent to him (I also had to pay out of pocket for the MRI because my insurance denied the request) and when he came into the room he told me that my C3-C4 disk was in bad shape and needs to be repaired as was my C5-C6 disk which was actually worse. He said that my C4-C5 disk looks good but because of the one above and below were both bad that I would also need to "repair" it as it would just be a matter of time before it herniated. He said that he would suggest implanting the M6-C Artificial Cervical disc made by Orthofix Corporation.

Has anyone here had any experience with the prosthetic cervical discs? I can't find any bad reports about them other than there are so far only 2 that have failed to date.
That sucks, Nalt. I’m sorry and hope you can’t find the right surgeon to help you heal quickly.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Always get an unbiased 2 nd opinion and from a neurosurgeon for anything related to the central nervous system.
Too many doctors are too quick to cut for making the big bucks.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Always get an unbiased 2 nd opinion and from a neurosurgeon for anything related to the central nervous system.
Too many doctors are too quick to cut for making the big bucks.
Really not germane for this but do the same for podiatrists. Hard to find one that doesn't want to cut and screw and fuse.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
I'm scheduled to have this artificial cervical disc inserted between C5 & C6 on Tuesday the 27th. I was surprised that the surgeon said that I will be under basically no restrictions and can return to work and doing basically anything I want after a day or so. My concern now is that my insurance company, Cigna, may try and make me wait 15 days to have the procedure.

OrthoFix M6.JPG

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
I'm scheduled to have this artificial cervical disc inserted between C5 & C6 on Tuesday the 27th. I was surprised that the surgeon said that I will be under basically no restrictions and can return to work and doing basically anything I want after a day or so. My concern now is that my insurance company, Cigna, may try and make me wait 15 days to have the procedure.

View attachment 58802
That just looks medieval.

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
I realize the target audience for this type of info is limited...but this seems to be a good place for a "Get Off My Lawn! Decrepitude: the Infirmities of Old Age" posting for anyone who may have an interest in these things.
@stephenPE has posted recent diagnosis of prostate cancer. I had laparoscopic radical prostatectomy in 2014.

Here's an interesting study / follow-ups / conclusions of a cohort of patients who were diagnosed with prostate cancer in the United Kingdom from 1999 to 2009 for all procedures and therapies used.

Spectator

Jan 15, 2021
My dad is having back surgery the 29th. They're inserting some quick dry cement between discs. He is 83 and will be laid up for a little bit. I'll be going to help a few days after, before my mom goes in for a new pacemaker on July 11. They sacrificed more for me than I can ever repay, but I'm working on it.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
My dad is having back surgery the 29th. They're inserting some quick dry cement between discs. He is 83 and will be laid up for a little bit. I'll be going to help a few days after, before my mom goes in for a new pacemaker on July 11. They sacrificed more for me than I can ever repay, but I'm working on it.
Spinal surgery is harder on folks your dad's age. I hope he comes through with flying colors and exceeds his hopes and expectations. All the best for your mother too. :fistbump:

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
I realize the target audience for this type of info is limited...but this seems to be a good place for a "Get Off My Lawn! Decrepitude: the Infirmities of Old Age" posting for anyone who may have an interest in these things.
@stephenPE has posted recent diagnosis of prostate cancer. I had laparoscopic radical prostatectomy in 2014.

Here's an interesting study / follow-ups / conclusions of a cohort of patients who were diagnosed with prostate cancer in the United Kingdom from 1999 to 2009 for all procedures and therapies used.
I just skimmed this but the rule of thumb when I was flying was: Under 50 seek aggressive treatment. Between 50 and 70, it all depends. Over 70, watchful waiting unless a biopsy indicate an aggressive form of cancer.

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
I just skimmed this but the rule of thumb when I was flying was: Under 50 seek aggressive treatment. Between 50 and 70, it all depends. Over 70, watchful waiting unless a biopsy indicate an aggressive form of cancer.
That's what I've seen too. I have a friend 80 y.o. the doc told him 'you're too old' to have prostate removed. They did give him radiation treatment and hormone shots to eliminate testosterone. He seems okay but does get weepy emotional about sentimental things.

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
Say you are an older senior citizen and can no longer take care of yourself and need long-term Care, but the Medicare facility you can afford is a dump and there's no affordable and nice nursing home care available for you. So, what do you do?

You opt for Medicare Part G. The plan gives anyone 75 or older a gun (Part G) and one bullet. You are allowed to shoot one worthless politician. This means you will be sent to prison for the rest of your life where you will receive three meals a day, a roof over your head, central heating and air conditioning cable TV, a library, and all the health care you need. Need new teeth? No problem. Need glasses? That’s great. Need a hearing aid, new hip, knees, kidney, lungs, sex change, or heart? They are all covered!

As an added bonus, your kids can come and visit you at least as often as they do now.

And now, because you are a prisoner, you don't have to pay any income tax.

Your senior Long-Term Care problems are solved. Enjoy the rest of your week.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014

View attachment 58802
I think they installed around a half dozen of those on the imploded sub.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020

View attachment 58802

Waiting GIF

In all seriousness, I hope it went well @Nalt

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.