You know I actually agree with you.

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
divits;n150144 said:
Meyer is one of the greatest football coaches of all time when it comes to putting together teams that can win football games.

There's also this....
  • During the 2008 National Championship season Meyer had a so-called "Circle of Trust" that could do no wrong and was routinely given preferential treatment. For example, wide receiver Percy Harvin, linebacker Brandon Spikes, and tight end Aaron Hernandez all sat out the season opener due to "injuries" when they were actually being disciplined for failed drug tests.
  • Prior to the 2007 season, the whole team was running stadium steps until Harvin complained, telling coaches, “This s--- ends now.” The next day conditioning drills turned into basketball games.
  • Harvin, the key trouble maker in the expose, attacked his wide receivers coach in 2008. Harvin had to be pulled away by coaches and players. He was never disciplined.
  • Meyer never penalized cornerback Janoris Jenkins for numerous team violations like being arrested for drug possession or getting into a bar fight. The problem was left for current Florida head coach Will Muschamp to deal with when Jenkins was finally kicked off the team for yet more run-ins with the law. Jenkins even admitted that had Meyer still been around, he wouldn't have been dismissed from the football team.
  • Safety Bryan Thomas suffered from injuries during his time at Florida, but when he was healthy and ready to return in 2009 he was told to "move on" because he wasn't in the team's plans. The coaching staff needed his roster spot for a new recruit. Thomas refused because he was completely healthy and on-track to graduate. The next day he was put on medical hardship, which let Thomas keep his scholarship but made him unavailable for the following year. Thomas eventually transferred to North Alabama.
  • The problems with the rosters Meyer assembled came to a head once Muschamp took over. Too many of the players Meyer recruited to Florida refused to "buy in" to Muschamp's way of doing things, a.k.a. no preferential treatment, so 13 scholarship players were let go last year.
  • The drug problems at UF during Meyer's tenure were so rampant that New England Patriots head coach Bill Belichick spoke to current Gators about how the poor decisions of their predecessors severely affected their NFL futures.

And of course let's not forget......

"The uproar and controversy of Urban Meyer’s stunning recruiting coup at Ohio State settled in and Stefon Diggs, still on the Buckeyes' wish list, was debating his future.
Diggs, the second-highest rated wide receiver in the country, had narrowed his list of potential schools to Maryland, Florida and Ohio State. For more than a week following National Signing Day on Feb. 1, and before Diggs eventually signed with Maryland, Meyer relentlessly pursued Diggs.
Multiple sources told Sporting News that Meyer—who won two national championships in six years at Florida and cemented his legacy as one of the game’s greatest coaches—told the Diggs family that he wouldn’t let his son go to Florida because of significant character issues in the locker room.
Character issues that we now know were fueled by a culture Meyer created. Character issues that gutted what was four years earlier the most powerful program in college football."

Maybe Meyer learned in his time at Florida the right and wrong way to build a championship team that will stand the test of time and rap sheets. For his esophagus' sake let's hope so. :rolleyes:

Pretty much nailed it. One of heck of a coach. One heck of an unethical guy.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n150186 said:
uno1.gif

Aww, come on. You wouldn’t be interested even in a "carnival side show" kind of way?

Attachments

• conv_1923.gif
    conv_1923.gif
    3.3 MB · Views: 61

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Law98gator;n149973 said:
Its ok. He had his Cam Newton sitting on the bench for two years and eleven months. That's right, he had that great QB sitting at 3rd string while he lost to Mich State and Clemson last year and Va Tech ( :) ) this year. Somebody order pizza!

His Qb declares for the NFL in the next few weeks, his OC leaves for another school today, and its back to 80 percent Qb runs and barely beating Mac teams.

Let the fake heartaches begin.

Hes at still a pvssy who overdoses on nerve pills and lies in his floor until the ambulance comes.

I know you hate the guy, but there's no way this is a serious post.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n150133 said:
Not my point. I will wager an enormous amount of money - at the end of his career - he'll call himself a Buckeye for life. He is not and never was a Gator for life. This takes nothing away from his accomplishments. He's a winner and has been and will be anywhere he goes. He's home now. He's a Buckeye. Deep down he was a Buckeye here as well.

Great coach - horrible person IMHO.

He is a mercenary coach, that is who he is. Most coaches are mercenaries, going to the next best gig. If the NFL comes calling with enough money or Notre Dame I wouldn't be surprised if he took one of those two jobs either. I don't care what he calls himself. We knew what he was when he was hired, and we got the results and the man we expected. We shouldn't be shocked after the fact that is the same mercenary that we hired.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n150251 said:
He is a mercenary coach, that is who he is. Most coaches are mercenaries, going to the next best gig. If the NFL comes calling with enough money or Notre Dame I wouldn't be surprised if he took one of those two jobs either. I don't care what he calls himself. We knew what he was when he was hired, and we got the results and the man we expected. We shouldn't be shocked after the fact that is the same mercenary that we hired.

I think OSU is his home. He's from there and coached there previously. Bruce was a mentor. I don't think he leaves anytime soon. Just MHO.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
divits;n150144 said:
Meyer is one of the greatest football coaches of all time when it comes to putting together teams that can win football games.

There's also this....
  • During the 2008 National Championship season Meyer had a so-called "Circle of Trust" that could do no wrong and was routinely given preferential treatment. For example, wide receiver Percy Harvin, linebacker Brandon Spikes, and tight end Aaron Hernandez all sat out the season opener due to "injuries" when they were actually being disciplined for failed drug tests.
  • Prior to the 2007 season, the whole team was running stadium steps until Harvin complained, telling coaches, “This s--- ends now.” The next day conditioning drills turned into basketball games.
  • Harvin, the key trouble maker in the expose, attacked his wide receivers coach in 2008. Harvin had to be pulled away by coaches and players. He was never disciplined.
  • Meyer never penalized cornerback Janoris Jenkins for numerous team violations like being arrested for drug possession or getting into a bar fight. The problem was left for current Florida head coach Will Muschamp to deal with when Jenkins was finally kicked off the team for yet more run-ins with the law. Jenkins even admitted that had Meyer still been around, he wouldn't have been dismissed from the football team.
  • Safety Bryan Thomas suffered from injuries during his time at Florida, but when he was healthy and ready to return in 2009 he was told to "move on" because he wasn't in the team's plans. The coaching staff needed his roster spot for a new recruit. Thomas refused because he was completely healthy and on-track to graduate. The next day he was put on medical hardship, which let Thomas keep his scholarship but made him unavailable for the following year. Thomas eventually transferred to North Alabama.
  • The problems with the rosters Meyer assembled came to a head once Muschamp took over. Too many of the players Meyer recruited to Florida refused to "buy in" to Muschamp's way of doing things, a.k.a. no preferential treatment, so 13 scholarship players were let go last year.
  • The drug problems at UF during Meyer's tenure were so rampant that New England Patriots head coach Bill Belichick spoke to current Gators about how the poor decisions of their predecessors severely affected their NFL futures.

And of course let's not forget......

"The uproar and controversy of Urban Meyer’s stunning recruiting coup at Ohio State settled in and Stefon Diggs, still on the Buckeyes' wish list, was debating his future.
Diggs, the second-highest rated wide receiver in the country, had narrowed his list of potential schools to Maryland, Florida and Ohio State. For more than a week following National Signing Day on Feb. 1, and before Diggs eventually signed with Maryland, Meyer relentlessly pursued Diggs.
Multiple sources told Sporting News that Meyer—who won two national championships in six years at Florida and cemented his legacy as one of the game’s greatest coaches—told the Diggs family that he wouldn’t let his son go to Florida because of significant character issues in the locker room.
Character issues that we now know were fueled by a culture Meyer created. Character issues that gutted what was four years earlier the most powerful program in college football."

Maybe Meyer learned in his time at Florida the right and wrong way to build a championship team that will stand the test of time and rap sheets. For his esophagus' sake let's hope so. :rolleyes:

Some of this is justified criticism. Such as the Diggs recruiting comment. Others such as the Bryan Thomas story simply sound like sour grapes. When Meyer first got here he was a hardass. Back
in 05 spring practice he continually criticized the OL as soft, and even publicly threatened to play without a running back at one point. It's my contention something significant happened within the first
few years of his tenure that changed how he viewed and ultimately carried out player discipline, and when/if to kick a player off the team. The 05 class wasn't terrific, but it had some guys that helped
us win titles. David Nelson and Louis Murphy come to mind. The jewel of his first class was largely considered by experts to be a lockdown corner from Daytona. He started a few games his freshmen year, and even got a pick in the FSU game as a true freshmen. Unfortunately due to legal / character issue the kid was kicked off the team. The kid's name was Avery Atkins. A little over a year after getting the boot he was in a body bag. I can't fathom a situation such as this not effecting the way a coach handles his personnel decisions. I also can't blame Meyer for being more lenient after this happened. Can you?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Gatorbait25;n150256 said:
Some of this is justified criticism. Such as the Diggs recruiting comment. Others such as the Bryan Thomas story simply sound like sour grapes. When Meyer first got here he was a hardass. Back
in 05 spring practice he continually criticized the OL as soft, and even publicly threatened to play without a running back at one point. It's my contention something significant happened within the first
few years of his tenure that changed how he viewed and ultimately carried out player discipline, and when/if to kick a player off the team. The 05 class wasn't terrific, but it had some guys that helped
us win titles. David Nelson and Louis Murphy come to mind. The jewel of his first class was largely considered by experts to be a lockdown corner from Daytona. He started a few games his freshmen year, and even got a pick in the FSU game as a true freshmen. Unfortunately due to legal / character issue the kid was kicked off the team. The kid's name was Avery Atkins. A little over a year after getting the boot he was in a body bag. I can't fathom a situation such as this not effecting the way a coach handles his personnel decisions. I also can't blame Meyer for being more lenient after this happened. Can you?

It's a fair point. But I also think it's overblown that he lost all discipline after those first few years. He gave Wilson a list of demands to meet following a year removal from the team. When he didn't meet them, he was gone for good. Guys like Rickerson were immediately booted. Dunlap missed the biggest game of the year, etc. He looked the other way on a lot of little things which backfired to a degree. But I'll continue to say that he had absolute control of the players on the field.

In contrast, under WM, yes we saw fewer arrests. But we were probably the most undisciplined UF team I've seen in my life on the field.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but personally, I don't care if a kid smokes some weed in his dorm as long as he represents the program well on the field. I'll take that over the thug show we put on in the 2013 SB, while losing no less.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n150259 said:
It's a fair point. But I also think it's overblown that he lost all discipline after those first few years. He gave Wilson a list of demands to meet following a year removal from the team. When he didn't meet them, he was gone for good. Guys like Rickerson were immediately booted. Dunlap missed the biggest game of the year, etc. He looked the other way on a lot of little things which backfired to a degree. But I'll continue to say that he had absolute control of the players on the field.

In contrast, under WM, yes we saw fewer arrests. But we were probably the most undisciplined UF team I've seen in my life on the field.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but personally, I don't care if a kid smokes some weed in his dorm as long as he represents the program well on the field. I'll take that over the thug show we put on in the 2013 SB, while losing no less.

Marcus Thomas was arguably our most important player in 2006 . With the possible exception of Reggie N. Thomas was booted DURING the season for god's sake in the midst
of a championship run. This was of course prior to Atkins death. That along with several of your examples in my opinion show Meyer to be a changed man primarily because of AA.
With regard to Muschamp his boorish, obnoxious sideline behavior not only made him look foolish, but as you stated helped lead to undisciplined play on the field.

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n150153 said:
Uhhhh...he didn't. He orchestrated his departure and the rest is history.
Do you wear a tinfoil hat too, Art Bell? Perhaps we can discuss the Trilateral Commission and the Bilderbergers in a separate thread.

Meyer resigned the first time in December of 2009. Citing what you believe to be fake medical issues he claimed he thought was a heart attack. That was a full 18 months before Tressel resigned. The conspiracy you are attributing to Meyer would have involved the memorabilia dealers, the tattoo parlors, the OSU players, the OSU board of regents, The OSU president and AD, Shelley, Urban's kids, the staff at Shands, Meyer and Foley. Roughly the same number of people involved in the NASA moon walk you probably claim was "orchestrated" too.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
PastyStoole;n150274 said:
Do you wear a tinfoil hat too, Art Bell? Perhaps we can discuss the Trilateral Commission and the Bilderbergers in a separate thread.

Meyer resigned the first time in December of 2009. Citing what you believe to be fake medical issues he claimed he thought was a heart attack. That was a full 18 months before Tressel resigned. The conspiracy you are attributing to Meyer would have involved the memorabilia dealers, the tattoo parlors, the OSU players, the OSU board of regents, The OSU president and AD, Shelley, Urban's kids, the staff at Shands, Meyer and Foley. Roughly the same number of people involved in the NASA moon walk you probably claim is fake.

What are you talking about?

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
What conspiracy did I mention? None. Maybe you should read the whole thread because I never said anything close to what you posted.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n150255 said:
I think OSU is his home. He's from there and coached there previously. Bruce was a mentor. I don't think he leaves anytime soon. Just MHO.

The way he is paid, and the fact that he does have ties there he might not. Also with his health issues, the NFL might be too much of a pressure cooker and the only other college job he holds in high regard is Notre Dame. If he is there and happy, so be it.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n150251 said:

You say this in retrospect and are okay with the fact... However, I remember him saying how he "LOVED" Gainesville and planned on staying there a long time in 2008. Furthermore, no one expected him to leave in 5 years leaving the carousel we currently have. If you can say that is okay since we have 2 rings, that is cool.... I just hate the aftermath of the short lived lies he fed us....

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Gatorbait25;n150256 said:
I also can't blame Meyer for being more lenient after this happened. Can you?

Yes. Yes, I can. If perhaps he hadn't been an enabler three other people may not have ended up in body bags. Who knows?

"As they were waiting for the light to change, the Hawaiian football player and Reggie Nelson walked up to their car on the right side," according to the police report, which cited what Cason told detectives. "Then without saying a work [sic], the Hawaiian pointed a small handgun in the front right window and fired five quick shots. Cason saw Smith slump over with blood coming out of the back of the head, at which time the Hawaiian and Nelson took off running towards McDonald's."

images

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
GMDGATOR;n150287 said:
You say this in retrospect and are okay with the fact... However, I remember him saying how he "LOVED" Gainesville and planned on staying there a long time in 2008. Furthermore, no one expected him to leave in 5 years leaving the carousel we currently have. If you can say that is okay since we have 2 rings, that is cool.... I just hate the aftermath of the short lived lies he fed us....

The only way you didn't see him as a mercenary is if you didn't see his career path. If you followed and paid attention (which most of didn't because we wanted to feel he was a gator) you would realize he was a merc. Talking to the man you knew he was great at his job, but was personally a used car salesmen. If you didn't know he was looking for the next job, or to a situation that better fit him. Then it's due to lack of paying attention. We didn't have a problem with his personality when he was winning us championships, but now we do. That is due to us, not him.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n150291 said:
The only way you didn't see him as a mercenary is if you didn't see his career path. If you followed and paid attention (which most of didn't because we wanted to feel he was a gator) you would realize he was a merc. Talking to the man you knew he was great at his job, but was personally a used car salesmen. If you didn't know he was looking for the next job, or to a situation that better fit him. Then it's due to lack of paying attention. We didn't have a problem with his personality when he was winning us championships, but now we do. That is due to us, not him.

Every previous move was a step up... How would anyone know he would jump ship so quickly... If you say you did you are a straight up liar.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
GMDGATOR;n150303 said:
Every previous move was a step up... How would anyone know he would jump ship so quickly... If you say you did you are a straight up liar.

So now you are going to call someone you don't know a liar, because of your vast knowledge or your hurt feelings that a mercenary coach was a mercenary? Not everyone has Florida as their top job, why would you assume a guy who carries a buckeye in his pocket would think that UF is his top job. Think about why you are throwing around accusations instead of a real conversation.

Born2beagator

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
oxking;n149952 said:
No contest. Meyer 42, Ducks 20. It was a dominating win and would have been a complete annihilation without the turnovers. All you jilted lovers had counted him out :-).

Oh screw off. I feel like this was the only reason some of you wanted OSU to win. Not because you like Urban, but just to shove it in the faces of those that don't.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Born2beagator;n150322 said:
Oh screw off. I feel like this was the only reason some of you wanted OSU to win. Not because you like Urban, but just to shove it in the faces of those that don't.

:popcorn:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator