Ideas to increase football attendance

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
To be creative and avoid the obvious stuff like:
  1. Win
  2. Don't lose to UK and Mizzou
  3. Don't just win, be exciting, ain't no one having fun during the Champ/Mac years when we had to wait until the end to beat the Vandy's of the world.
  4. Lower your ****ing prices, you can make up the loss per ticket with greater volume sold, which also creates a better atmosphere, and shockingly a good atmosphere can cause people to want to return that would watch the same game and not be sure about returning with a so-so atmosphere. Games are an experience. How about letting the other band perform at halftime again to add to it maybe, it's college football bring back the pageantry.
  5. Better food prices...granted the Cuban from Mi Apa just inside Gate 1 was for what you got.

Anyways, other than those obvious solutions...I really don't have much. We can talk about A/C like it didn't exist during our sellout streak, we can act like quality of picture is the sole reason why people stay home, we can pretend that most excuses (like internet, which I actually think is the most credible) didn't exist when Shane, Danny, Rex, Leak, and Tebow were out there, but truth is they were. Then we became a joke of a program, we jacked prices and gave the money to non-revenue sports, we lost at home a lot, we were boring and predictable, and would I like marquee games? Yes, but let's not pretend that the cupcake games were not sold out (and the stands more full than most current SEC games) when we were winning and had top offenses. Even in the Zook years.

GatorTruth133 has it right, except for maybe point 4. The most important things are be exciting particularly on offense and winning. The most irritating thing about Foley's two decades long search for Vince Dooley or Vince Lombardi is that it was pissing into the winds of the changes in the sport. It is much harder to be exciting on D now. For example even this exciting play could have been called for helmet to helmet contact targeting:

if some official saw it that way. It certainly would not have been over turned upon review.

Nothing about UF's offense from 1990 to 2001 would be against the rules now and in some ways it would be easier to run.

When you win people come. When your offense is exciting and quick strike people arrive by kickoff and stay in their seats some even when you have a big lead. I wonder how many late arriving UF fans showed up for the 4th or 5th play for the 1990 Oklahoma State game and were on time for the next decade?

I see no reason to lower ticket prices IF the product is once again made worth the price. On the other hand concession are a way to both make money and make your customers feel like they had a good time. So for that reason I would lower the price of concessions or at least offer certain items at a much more reasonable price.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
SOS ruined it for lots of people. Winning was not good enough after his Shermans March through the SOUTHeastern conf. Had to win big and and score quickly. That in turn turned thousands of gator fans into experts. Just go with five wide. Get em into space so they can catch and run and throw from the shotgun. Anyone could teach that.
I think we have a guy that is gonna be a good play caller, play to our stengths and strengthen us at skill positions. Hell, we got WRs out the aszzz. I have a great feeling about our skill players and FF. Stay healthy and get some decent OL play and we are lookng fun again.
I wonder if Dan ever picks steve's brain about plays and coaching up FF. :scratchchin:

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Despite being the first team to go 15-0 and win the national championship, Clemson did not sell out a single game last year:

Clemson did not sell out a single home game in 2018

Here is why Clemson football did not sell out a home game in 2018

In 2018, Clemson recorded the first 15-0 national championship season in the five-year history of the College Football Playoff. But the Tigers achieved that perfect record without perfect attendance.

Clemson did not sell out a single home game during the 2018 season, including the rivalry game against South Carolina. It was the first season in which Clemson did not notch at least one sellout since 2009, Dabo Swinney’s first full year as head coach.

Clemson reported an average crowd of 80,400 fans, filling Memorial Stadium to 98.7 percent of its capacity. The South Carolina crowd of 81,436 was Clemson’s largest of the year, but it was only the third time the rivalry has attracted fewer than 82,000 to Death Valley since 1982. The other instances were in 2010 and 2016.

Clemson ranked 12th in the Division I bowl subdivision in average stadium capacity. Merely five teams averaged a sellout— Oklahoma, Michigan, Nebraska, Georgia and Utah. Clemson also trailed its powerhouse peers Alabama, Ohio State and Penn State in that category. But also Central Florida, Kansas State and North Carolina State.

The odd mixture of schools at the top of the ledger reveals the inexact science behind ticket sales. The conventional culprits of expensive ticket costs, low demand and enhanced television viewing experiences are not the only reasons for the empty seats.

“Our biggest factor tends to be the opponent and how many folks they bring,” said Clemson assistant athletic director for ticket operations Owen Godfrey, alluding to the tickets Clemson allots to opponents.

The highest allotment figure is for South Carolina, biennially Clemson’s most attractive ticket. Last season, Clemson allotted 8,000 tickets to South Carolina. In accordance with a league-wide agreement, visiting Atlantic Coast Conference schools can request a maximum of 4,300 tickets.

The allotment for all other visitors was stipulated in their respective contracts. However, outside of Carolina, few of Clemson's opponents guaranteed more than 1,000 tickets. Clemson recouped the unused tickets in late April, but it could not package them into a full season-ticket deal without the marquee Carolina game.

“We sold as many season tickets down to that guaranteed number at 8,000,” Godfrey said. “When we do that, we turn away some folks that want to buy full season tickets, because, when the schedule doesn't include South Carolina, or if we did it this year and it didn't include Texas A&M, it's a challenge.”

Clemson advertises remaining season ticket package deals each June. In July, Clemson posts the unused tickets for single-game sales. According to Godfrey, fans searching for single-game seats are conditioned to shop the secondary marketplaces, like StubHub and SeatGeek, so they often bypass the Clemson ticket office.

“Our toughest chore here is just building awareness that we actually have those tickets,” Godfrey said. “If you hear that we're sold out of season tickets, you don't know you can order directly from Clemson.”

The demand for smaller packages and single-game tickets was low last season. The season opener against Furman attracted more fans (80,048) than the matchup with ACC foe Louisville (78,741).

During its previous undefeated regular season, in 2015, Clemson hosted marquee matchups against Notre Dame and Florida State. Clemson had an easier time selling three, four and five-game packages that included Appalachian State, Georgia Tech and Wake Forest.

Clemson sold out every game that season. Its only sellouts since then were dates with Louisville, North Carolina State and South Carolina in 2016 and Auburn in 2017.

The highest allotment for the 2019 season, 5,000 tickets, is for Texas A&M, the anchor of the schedule. Traditional season ticket packages are renewable. Although Clemson has 3,000 more seats to sell this season than last year, it cannot exceed the South Carolina allotment for 2020.

Clemson and South Carolina agreed to decrease that allotment to 7,000. According to Godfrey, Clemson has sold 400 of those additional 1,000 season tickets.
I've been trying to tell everyone that would listen for years that the product on the field might be a part of the problem, but it's not THE problem.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
I think Huge Attendance is not going to come back...nation wide.

TV is a big reason but people have changed.

I have a question...Are concerts still huge draws?

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Fair weather fans ... does partly cloudy ever get bumped by partly sunny?

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Fair weather fans ... does partly cloudy ever get bumped by partly sunny?

I see/meet a lot of millenials who just don't care about watching events live.

I have friends...my age.. who don't even watch games live on TV. They can't stand commercials so they record and omit all dead time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.