If Bama goes to the playoff AGAIN after sitting out the SECCG.....

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
If it's letting Bama in over the Dawgs, then I'm all for it.

While I generally agree, that's not an issue this year. It's pretty likely that uga goes to Atl. If they lose, they're out. If they win, they're in. It won't be up to a decision.

I don't think Alabama deserves anything. They have no quality wins, allowed ut to hang aroung longer than we did, and weren't even competitive against Lsu. The only downside is that it may kick us out of a NY6 bowl.

Anyone suggesting an 8 team playoff is crazy. It would destroy college football and render a game like Saturday completely meaningless. The whole premise of the thread is that the FOUR team set up is nearly doing that. Adding more would be ridiculous.

PCGatorAlum

Lifetime Member
Feb 1, 2017
I just don't think Alabama deserves a spot in the CFP. If you lose your conference how can you call yourselves National Champs when another team won your conference? "we are the best in the country except for the SEC" Makes zero sense to me.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
Anyone suggesting an 8 team playoff is crazy. It would destroy college football and render a game like Saturday completely meaningless. The whole premise of the thread is that the FOUR team set up is nearly doing that. Adding more would be ridiculous
So you're one of the guys who thinks every other sport that has a real playoff is doing it wrong.

There's 130 whatever teams in FBS. who decides strength of schedule? The team with the toughest schedule in the country is the worst team in FBS. Every team they play is ranked higher than them. The whole ranking process is a joke. It's formulated by a bunch of pencil necked geeks that probably have never played a sport in there life. Maybe we should just go back to the days when the local newspapers decided who was national champion. Maybe we should shut out undefeated FBS teams that end up plastering Nation Champions all over their stadium.

Quit manufacturing rankings out of thin air and let's have a damn proper playoff and find out who's really the best.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
So you're one of the guys who thinks every other sport that has a real playoff is doing it wrong.

There's 130 whatever teams in FBS. who decides strength of schedule? The team with the toughest schedule in the country is the worst team in FBS. Every team they play is ranked higher than them. The whole ranking process is a joke. It's formulated by a bunch of pencil necked geeks that probably have never played a sport in there life. Maybe we should just go back to the days when the local newspapers decided who was national champion. Maybe we should shut out undefeated FBS teams that end up plastering Nation Champions all over their stadium.

Quit manufacturing rankings out of thin air and let's have a damn proper playoff and find out who's really the best.

I've posted it before but don't have time to go look it up again. But do you realize how many games since the inception of the playoff have been blowouts? There are almost no examples of any season containing more than 2, 3 at most, great teams.

But as I said, if you have an 8 team playoff, Alabama probably doesn't even play Tua Saturday. Why should they? They could lose that game AND the Iron Bowl and still likely make it in on name alone. Have you ever been to an NFL game late in the year when a team has nothing to play for because they're already in the playoffs and can't improve their position? It's as garbage a game as the Towson you want to get rid of. The beauty of college football is that you have to show up every week.

gatorfan81

Founding Member
Done
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
While I generally agree, that's not an issue this year. It's pretty likely that uga goes to Atl. If they lose, they're out. If they win, they're in. It won't be up to a decision.

I don't think Alabama deserves anything. They have no quality wins, allowed ut to hang aroung longer than we did, and weren't even competitive against Lsu. The only downside is that it may kick us out of a NY6 bowl.

Anyone suggesting an 8 team playoff is crazy. It would destroy college football and render a game like Saturday completely meaningless. The whole premise of the thread is that the FOUR team set up is nearly doing that. Adding more would be ridiculous.
The conference championship game not having any bearing on who plays for the title is ruining college football. Why have them. Why risk having possibly two best teams play then one being eliminated. Something is gonna give and I have a feeling the sec championship will be gone

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If you can't win your conference you don't belong in the playoff. How can you be a national champion when you aren't your conference champion.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
Eight Super Conferences with two divisions each of 8-10 teams. Usually, as this year in the SEC each division has a defacto playoff game to win the division, that is 32 teams with a real shot. Conference Championship games- 16 teams. Conference Champions are seeded and a Champion's tournament begins. No ream uh team (Alabama) gets in on name only, Only Champions get to hoist the final trophy. See how neat that works out :D.

I'm really not drunk and can handle the dislikes, WTF's, facepalms, and stoned, have at it!

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The answer isn't reducing the number of games or getting rid of conference championship games. The answer is turning the conference championship games into the de facto first round of the playoff.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
I agree with Zambo. No playoff system is foolproof to find out who the best team in the nation is. Never has been. Never will be. It's called the National Champion; not the National Best Team. Often those two may be synonymous but not always.

The big conference games like Alabama - LSU, Florida - LSU, Auburn - Georgia are already de facto elimination play-off games.

Personally, I don't like rematches in the National Championship series. The way I look at it you only get one chance in life. Everybody has regrets. You can't live your life over. In football id you lose you should be done. You shouldn't get a second chance. Again, it's not about who the best team is. It is about who can run the gauntlet of the way the system is set up and emerge and the final winner. That is the Champion. The last team standing. Sometimes the best team will go down to defeat.

If a team plays a weak schedule and gets into the playoffs that's ok with me. It creates interest. Teams that have played in a stronger conference against tougher opponents should have an advantage if they have to go against a weak sister in the final Championship Series. If weak sister lucks out and wins then so be it. That's college football.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I agree with Zambo. No playoff system is foolproof to find out who the best team in the nation is. Never has been. Never will be. It's called the National Champion; not the National Best Team. Often those two may be synonymous but not always.

The big conference games like Alabama - LSU, Florida - LSU, Auburn - Georgia are already de facto elimination play-off games.

Personally, I don't like rematches in the National Championship series. The way I look at it you only get one chance in life. Everybody has regrets. You can't live your life over. In football id you lose you should be done. You shouldn't get a second chance. Again, it's not about who the best team is. It is about who can run the gauntlet of the way the system is set up and emerge and the final winner. That is the Champion. The last team standing. Sometimes the best team will go down to defeat.

If a team plays a weak schedule and gets into the playoffs that's ok with me. It creates interest. Teams that have played in a stronger conference against tougher opponents should have an advantage if they have to go against a weak sister in the final Championship Series. If weak sister lucks out and wins then so be it. That's college football.
iu

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I’d rather have an undefeated Appalachian State be in the playoffs than rewarding a one loss team that didn’t even make it into their conference championship. In makes things interesting and gives Cinderella’s a chance. You’re basically telling teams like Bama that they are given a one game pass without worrying about missing the playoffs. They also get to have an extra week to heal up and not risk being knocked out by losing their conference championship. F**k that.

Last edited:

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015
Just pretend the season ended Sat. and we had an 8 team playoff. It'd most likely be:

1. LSU vs. 8.Utah
2. OSU vs. 7. Minn (this game would kinda suck because it'd be a rematch)
3. Clem vs. 6. Oregon
4. Bama vs. 5. uga

Which one of you ass wipes wouldn't watch every second of every one of those games? Whether it dilutes the regular season or not, I'm all for whatever makes the season longer and gives us more meaningful games at the end. It'd also cut back on some of the meaningless bowl games for the "superstars" to sit out of. Plus there'd always be at least 3 SEC teams in it and we'd get to hear the rest of the country cry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.