If you knew what 2 years into Mullen would be, would you have taken it?

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
Not sure i agree if you mean both 2019 and 2018. I know we were ahead of Ugly at one point in 2018, but it never really felt like we were going to win and we never had a chance in the Mizzou game.

It was poorly worded on my end--should have said that was for the 2019 season.

2018 Mizzou game was the worst of Mullen's tenure and at no point did we look competent. Vs UGAy, we played ok--but agreed, didn't look like a threat to win.

Still...to have 2 games out of 26 where we weren't "in it" is a pretty good body of work, given that for most of the last decade, we would only blowout 2 teams per season and struggle vs everyone else.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
The only coach hired in that time who has had even remotely the same success as Mullen is Cristobal, and he has the Pac-12 to kick around. So our personal feelings about the hire two years ago be damned, we’re MILES ahead of where we were at the time and people should be thrilled.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Some of those images...and associated feelings..are downright scary.

Last edited:

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Best available hire 2 years ago. No matter how much crying about the future demise of Mullen goes on around here, he is trending up and has been since stepping foot on campus. He has been playing chess with regards to the transfer portal while a lot of his peers and critics are playing checkers. There is a buzz in the program and sparks are happening. Just need good tinder and this fire will happen. That is my opinion.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I was hopeful when Mullin was hired. I could invest in dreams of Mullin's involvement in our NC years.
I loved the happiness he exuded just stepping off our jet in Gainesville. UF is his dream job.
For 2 seasons now, Mullin appears to be a good, calm teacher/developer.
3rd year should be even more entertaining. Go Gators

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Best available hire 2 years ago. No matter how much crying about the future demise of Mullen goes on around here, he is trending up and has been since stepping foot on campus. He has been playing chess with regards to the transfer portal while a lot of his peers and critics are playing checkers. There is a buzz in the program and sparks are happening. Just need good tinder and this fire will happen. That is my opinion.

I like this.....

BadowGator

The Chuckler
Sep 16, 2016
A resounding YES. The man inherited a non scoring 4 win team and turned it into a 10 and 11 win team. Very few of us expected that and very few coaches or programs could even accomplish that. He’s done an amazing job. The recruiting has been more exciting than it has been in a VERY long time, though it could be better, it’s progressing nicely. He’s done a fantastic job with a quick turnaround to make every game exciting and relevant.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
We really need to figure this out and capitalize on Clowns, Tinerc and scUM being damn dumpster fires.
Here's the thing....all of our traditional rivals besides UGA suck but because we've sucked for the most part of a decade everyone's euphoric about handing a team that was only ranked for TV bowl game purposes a huge moral victory....I don't get it.....

bayou gator

Lord I was born a shamblin' man...
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
I have always said that I'd wait until the end of year 2 before I make a true judgement call on Dan. I wasn't very happy with his hiring, and I have admitted that I was wrong in wanting Chip Kelly (honestly, no one had a clue that he was ready to just sit on his fat ass and mail it in; but that's exactly what he's done).

At this point, I must admit that Dan has exceeded my expectations. His play calling and game management tendencies still concern me at times. But I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt, and hope that he is learning, and will make adjustments in the future that work in our favor. The stakes on the sidelines of UF are so much greater than MSU, and I think he gets that now.

I was a little disappointed in the ESD class, but I have to admit he has bounced back from that day with excellent portal moves, and capped it off with the Henderson announcement today. He may be finally finding his groove in convincing kids to come to Gainesville. I truly hope so.

I also have always said I think he is a good, but not a great, coach. At this point, I think he is very good, and his chances to achieve greatness all hinge on his ability to pull the plug on some of his coaches (3 in particular). If he finds the courage to flush those turds, I think championships are in our very near future.

Jack o' Diamonds

My mind is made up, don't confuse me with facts...
Lifetime Member
Aug 29, 2015
Here's the thing....all of our traditional rivals besides UGA suck but because we've sucked for the most part of a decade everyone's euphoric about handing a team that was only ranked for TV bowl game purposes a huge moral victory....I don't get it.....
You really going to harp on this forever???

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
:ban:----- on positivity = now that's funny, grev.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Yeah, but that is a WiLLLLLLLie thing, not a Mullinz thing.

We really need to figure this out and capitalize on Clowns, Tinerc and scUM being damn dumpster fires.

I think we finally are. It was slower than we’d have preferred, but when guys on other teams are flat out telling the world they messed up not coming to UF and are transferring in, that says something. Not going to get into the 247 rankings being debated elsewhere, but we are the premier destination in this state at this point and it’s becoming more obvious each day. It starts there.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Not going to get into the 247 rankings being debated elsewhere, but we are the premier destination in this state at this point and it’s becoming more obvious each day. It starts there.
Really we are not. We still are getting killed in the top 25 in our own damn state, getting a fraction of the talent that dumpsterfire scUM is getting in the top 50 in the better of the two ranking systems and whether we grabbed a couple more than scUM.

It shouldnt even be a question. It shouldnt even be close. In the end we are left debating whether Rivals or 247 is more accurate in predicting the quality leftover low 4 star/borderline 3 star types.

I guess it depends on whether you aim is to catch Ugly, Bammer and Clemson, or be a middle of the pack ACC team slightly better than scUM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.