I'm an idiot (for the musicians)

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yep, so I play guitar a little bit. I was in a couple rock bands when I was going to UF (mid 80s). I had a 1984 Candy Apple Green Elite Stratocaster and loved that guitar. It got stolen about the same time my last wife and I separated. Yeah, I'm pretty sure where it went, but that's ancient history by now. Point being, I bought a new guitar a few years back. I got an Ibanez RG 920qmz premium and have been playing it off and on over the past few years, but was never really happy with it. The bottom line is I'm spoiled. That strat was the best playing guitar I've ever had my hands on and other guitar players who I allowed to play it all said the same thing. So, what do I do, even though I suck @ss at playing these days? Yep, went out and traded that RG 920 and an old amp I had laying around in for a new guitar. I had Guitar Center get me a new RG 8570z j custom. So I'm an idiot, but I'm chasing a guitar that will play like that old strat, but with a locking nut and what I consider a much better feeling tremelo that stays in tune. Go ahead, have run ripping me a new one. I deserve it. But I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy playing this guitar much more.

This was my old set-up:
0718191319asizereduced.png

Here's what the new one looks like and the specs:
RG8570Z   RG   ELECTRIC GUITARS   PRODUCTS   Ibanez guitars.png
RG8570Z   RG   ELECTRIC GUITARS   PRODUCTS   Ibanez guitars (1).png

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Tear it up, Nav!
Thank you. I have this crazy idea in my head to record my own stuff for my youtube channel instead of using their selection of non-copyright stuff. I'll probably fail miserably, but the journey should be fun anyway.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Well price obviously isn't an issue.
Why not look for a used 84 strat?
Or a even new American strat?

A guitar you love begs to be played. So you should know in couple of weeks if you made the right decision.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Well price obviously isn't an issue.
Why not look for a used 84 strat?
Or a even new American strat?

A guitar you love begs to be played. So you should know in couple of weeks if you made the right decision.

I've become an Ibanez fan since then. While that strat played like a dream, it broke strings like nobody's business at the bridge and was a major PITA to keep tuned. We called it the mean green string eating machine. Strings lasted me maybe 8 hours of play time on that thing before they broke. That's why I went Ibanez this time. I liked the RG 920 ok. It's not a bad guitar, it just didn't play as effortlessly as that strat did. Everything I've read about these j customs is they are the creme of the crop and "can't be disappointed" in them. We'll see I guess. I have 45 days to return it for any reason at all. That's one thing I like about Guitar Center. They have great customer service. That amp in the picture above took 3 tries to get a working one to my house. 1 from GC that UPS dropped and busted. 1 from Sweetwater that didn't work when it got to me. Then another one from GC. This time it got to me in one piece and works perfectly. All the while GC was more than happy to do whatever they could to help me get what I wanted. Those Series One 45's are hard to find with the Celestion V30s in it. I was getting close to just saying screw it, get me a 50w head and a 2 or 4 V30 cab, but they found the one I wanted so I didn't have to go that route. Real good people to work with.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
the vine inlay on the neckboard started out as a steve vai signature on Ibanez guitars. ive owned a few nice ones over the years. sold my last one to a buddy of mine who plays professionally. i dont play much anymore and when i do, its just acoustic. no room for amps and pedals. every space in my house belongs to my kids :lol:

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
the vine inlay on the neckboard started out as a steve vai signature on Ibanez guitars. ive owned a few nice ones over the years. sold my last one to a buddy of mine who plays professionally. i dont play much anymore and when i do, its just acoustic. no room for amps and pedals. every space in my house belongs to my kids :lol:

Yeah, I think I read somewhere the early j customs just had the offset dots. I have seen the JEMs with the "tree of life" inlays. It's really a nice touch on the nicer guitars. Kind of makes them stand out from the others. Fortunately for me, my kids are all grown, married and doing their own thing. Maybe when you get my age you can wallpaper your bedroom in Marshall stacks and buy that JEM back from your buddy too.:headbang:

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
But nothing compares to your first love. You have to get one even if it just hangs on the wall.
I don't play in that league. My guitars tend to cost 100's not 1000's. But what do you think of PRS? I've only had the pleasure of fondling them at Sam Ash. (the clerk gets upset when I start moaning).

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
But nothing compares to your first love. You have to get one even if it just hangs on the wall.
I don't play in that league. My guitars tend to cost 100's not 1000's. But what do you think of PRS? I've only had the pleasure of fondling them at Sam Ash. (the clerk gets upset when I start moaning).

I haven't played a PRS so I really can't say about those. I did come close to going ESP. They make some really nice guitars too. There are all kinds of really nice guitars out there in every price range imaginable. This was just one of those cases where I decided I wasn't going to go cheap, because that RG Premium left me wanting so I guess you could say I learned my lesson about going cheap, even though that really wasn't a cheap guitar. Just not a Prestige or j custom level of excellence. We'll see. I have the guitar now. It's in the case still coming to room temperature before I open her up in a little bit. Then I'll get to see how she feels.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Feels great. Plays great. My fingers are sore, but it feels fantastic to play again. Sounds freaking awesome too. So far, I'm very happy.

IMG_0483 reduced size.png

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
By the way. I thought for sure I would catch hell for the black guitar in a red case. You guys let me down.:lol: To my defense, I had no idea what color the inside of the case would be, but I'm not sure it would've affected my choice. The choices were black or a really pale blue, and I didn't like that pale blue at all.

Swampy!

Aug 3, 2018
My current rig. The one on the right is a 2011 MIM Strat that I had Lace Sensor Hot Gold's installed. Beautiful playing and sounding guitar. The one on the left is a G&L Legacy Tribute. It's actually what a Strat wishes it was. Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue amp. 00000IMG_00000_BURST20191020132014855_COVER.jpg

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
My current rig. The one on the right is a 2011 MIM Strat that I had Lace Sensor Hot Gold's installed. Beautiful playing and sounding guitar. The one on the left is a G&L Legacy Tribute. It's actually what a Strat wishes it was. Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue amp.

Party at Swampy's house!!

That kind of looks very professional in that area... what the heck?
And there's caffeine involved so y'all must be on the serious side of the music bidness.

Swampy!

Aug 3, 2018
Party at Swampy's house!!

That kind of looks very professional in that area... what the heck?
And there's caffeine involved so y'all must be on the serious side of the music bidness.
That's actually a stage set from where I played the role of Carl Perkins in a production of Million Dollar Quartet back in October. But yes, I also play in a 70's and 80's Rock Revue called Glory Days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.