I'm bringing my 11yr old son to his first Gator game on Saturday

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
AlexDaGator said:
The statue of Alberta and Alberta across University Avenue from the stadium (Emmerson Alumni Hall?) is a great photo op. If you belong to the Alumni Association, you can get stickers, beads, and other little give-aways that make nice souvenirs.

The band used to warm up on campus and then march to the stadium (from Memorial Auditorium). I don't know if they still start there or somewhere else but I imagine a kid would love to experience the drumline marching past.

There is a ton of great tailgating on the blocks across from Ring Tennis Pavilion, the Law School, and the golf course (SW 2nd Ave, west of the President's mansion).

Another great tailgate spot is the Plaza of the Americas. Little younger crowd out there. Hard to find a parking spot unless you get there early.

Hope you have a blast!

Alex.
I was just thinking about the drum line. I remember catching them after the game near the rock on Turlington Plaza. It was fantastic to celebrate a victory there afterward. I don't know if they still do that and I don't know if you'll want to plan anything after a 7pm night game, but if you can see them before hand, I'd highly recommend it.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Homecoming 2011 vs Vandy was my boy's first...

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
My dad took me at 7 to see the Gators vs Houston in '74. We boatraced 'em 49-14, I was hooked!

8802Gator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Very cool. Make sure you get him to the Gator walk and in the stadium fro warm ups. My dad took me to my first when I was 3. Still have the hat I wore to that game.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I was taken to my first Gator game at age 13 on 9/9/89 vs Ole Miss. We lost. The crowd was unhappy.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I am happy to hear that you are passing the passion on to the next generation. My Dad took me to my first Gator game in 1967 and I carried it forward and took both of my sons to their first game in 1993. I hope he has a blast and becomes hooked for life.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
If you're looking for parking just pull into the bull gator parking lot. Tell them your with ox and they'll let you right in. You guys will have a blast.

Phineus Maximus

Founding Member
Thread Killer
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
8802Gator said:
Very cool. Make sure you get him to the Gator walk and in the stadium fro warm ups. My dad took me to my first when I was 3. Still have the hat I wore to that game.
Does it still fit?

Turk182

Founding Member
Just don't care anymore
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
AlexDaGator;n35981 said:
The statue of Alberta and Alberta across University Avenue from the stadium (Emmerson Alumni Hall?) is a great photo op. If you belong to the Alumni Association, you can get stickers, beads, and other little give-aways that make nice souvenirs.

The band used to warm up on campus and then march to the stadium (from Memorial Auditorium). I don't know if they still start there or somewhere else but I imagine a kid would love to experience the drumline marching past.

There is a ton of great tailgating on the blocks across from Ring Tennis Pavilion, the Law School, and the golf course (SW 2nd Ave, west of the President's mansion).

Another great tailgate spot is the Plaza of the Americas. Little younger crowd out there. Hard to find a parking spot unless you get there early.

Hope you have a blast!

Alex.

They have a school named after Law98?

Now I'm impressed!

8802Gator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
8802Gator said:
Yeah. Now that I am 5 though it is getting a little tight.

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
My almost 30 year old son's first game was when he was just 6, Spurrier's first game as HBC - he opened up having Shane throw it down the field on Okie State, we scored on that first drive (a pass, I believe), and we all knew something special was coming. Is it really THAT long ago?

In any case, regarding parking, if your son can hike a bit, I usually try Museum Drive down near Lake Alice. If you get there early enough, you can park in the shade, among tailgaters, and, if you're lucky, see some REAL gators in the lake. It is a bit of a hike for a kid, though, and it is uphill up Frat Row. Still, it's a good atmosphere.

At least the game tomorrow starts at 7, and will be played mostly in shadows and then at night. That first game for my son 24 years ago was extremely hot, I was there with my parents, and with UF up by a LOT late, we left with about 6 to 7 mins left in the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator