Image urls vs manually uploading images

It's Great

sidewalk alum
Mar 4, 2016
I don't have a problem with posting img urls vs uploading images, but what if the site you post the url for changes the image or is out of commission?

Could a new, possibly unrelated image be in original image's place over time?

plz help I can't compute

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Even if it did happen, that post would likely be so buried, you'd never know anyway.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
but what if the site you post the url for changes the image or is out of commission?

Could a new, possibly unrelated image be in original image's place over time?

Um, possible but highly unlikely. Check the full url on any img and you'll find the name of the file is not something commonly used in most cases. For example, a link to "www.somesite.com/pictures/naughtystuff/ThisMonthsHottie.jpg" could in theory get overwritten, but more often it is a file like "asdf820sg.jpg" so it is very unlikely they would save another image by THAT name to THAT folder. Most likely is if the host site is out of commission the url simply won't load when referenced. And, it's possible some sites may purge older images, so the url won't load an image that no longer exists. The chances of it loading a new image over the original one...so small it would only happen under intentional purposes.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Good post but a lot of files are saved with common names especially if it's not a "Professional" picture or graphic.

Probably. But most of the pictures that we upload on the site are from gif and meme storage sites.

If you attach the URL from somebody's private photo bucket account they may (at any time) just delete it and replace it with another. And yes, they may call it the same name as a another file.

But to his point, it will be buried so far in some thread you would never even notice it. If you really like the picture or video then you should save it and host it yourself. Assuming that there is no copyright infringement.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
:ugh:

Last edited by a moderator:

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
19591a5b09f0078.jpg

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'd appreciate you making the "NV" capitalized as that's how it is in my User Name.

Thanks in advance.
You will get capital letters when you deserve them....

:doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb