Immediate Eligibilty for Martell and other undergrads? Lol

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Let the conferences dictate it then. And if the schools are that worried about it then have the conferences dictate how they will handle scholarships. Make them all 4 year schollies (Which would mean that the student athletes cannot be “phased out”) and if the student leaves to another school then they would be responsible for paying out the remainder of their scholly. That would require the new school to not only pay for the scholarship of the player but also absorb the cost of the existing scholarship at the original school. Similar to the way schools deal with buyouts in coaching contracts.

I don’t like conferences having any more say than they already do. But that still wouldn’t stop teams from being destroyed by this new rule. There may be some inner-conference rules that could apply, but there’s no way the SEC could stop a kid from going to OhSt along with 10 teammates. It’s a slippery slope that isn’t easily fixed after cases like this.

And I agree with law that we don’t need any guarantees for the athletes. There’s already an unwritten one, and the only stories of players getting burned are kids who went to play for Saban, fully aware of the risk. If you get “processed”, that’s on you. I have very little doubt that guys like McWilliams, Trask and Lenton will live out their careers here unless they decide on their own to leave. Coaches might mention it, even suggest looking around. But this idea of kids being cut constantly is baseless.

Which kind of begs the question, why exactly does this rule need changing? Like so many other rules/laws, we’re making a situation out of something that has worked just fine for years. How many current starting NFL QBs were riding the pine in college because they just couldn’t beat out the guy in front of them?When someone enters competitive sports, they know full well that not everyone will win. If you’re that good, you’ll play. Make a wise decision, stick to your conviction and let the chips fall—again, with some rare exceptions.

As I said, if you think recruiting is a ridiculous spectacle now, wait until it doesn’t even matter who they pick because within months they can change their mind. There’s no difference between 1 year and 30 minutes. A kid could announce the next day that he’s transferring from a school he’s never even attended yet. There’s nothing to stop him. At least not anymore apparently.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Which kind of begs the question, why exactly does this rule need changing?
because the NCAA expects the courts to say it is an illegal restraint, so they fold to any kid who threatens to sue them.

I agree there is no legal justification for the restraint.

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
because the NCAA expects the courts say it is an illegal restraint, so they fold to any kid who threatens to sue them.

And I agree there is no legal justification for the restraint.

So kill the NCAA. That’s fine with me. It’s not about keeping their status in place.

The schools spend countless dollars on official visits only to land a handful of the prospects, often neglecting or flat out refusing others who may play the same position, typically at the request of the committed player. Then they provide a free education(their end of the bargain) whether said player becomes a success on the field(their end of the bargain) or not. There is commitment from the program, and therefore should be some commitment from the player. Again, disband the NCAA. They’re a joke. The schools themselves should all have language that prohibits a free for all without some form of deterrent as is currently in place.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Fvkk no. Being stuck w Butters' crap is one of our biggest problem.

No other scholarship is like this. Younget a chemistry scholarship then cant actually do college level.chemistry, you get booted off the scholly.

I was just saying this as an alternate. I think all scholarships should be one year scholarships and it should be Armageddon.

Student athletes aren’t prisoners. They should be able to go where they want. Schools will figure out how to stay competitive. The ones who can’t figure it out will go to the wayside.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Are we overlooking the espionage aspects i.e. stolen playbooks, etc. The things transfer-players can transfer with them.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I was just saying this as an alternate. I think all scholarships should be one year scholarships and it should be Armageddon.

All scholarships are one year. We were the only ones who thought four year guarantees were the only way Butters could steal kids from FAU

Musclepug

never go full retard
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2018
D2JcaoZXQAUUqI5

Hilarious

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads