Immediate Eligibilty for Martell and other undergrads? Lol

NoGaGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2014
Now Martell becomes immediately eligible. God only knows what angle that was. Between he and Fields, it's devolving into Free Agency. Retaining rosters for coaches just became a lot tougher.

NoGaGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2014
We had Jefferson and the other receiver last year approved.

Jefferson was stuck in the Ole Miss mess courtesy the Reverend Freeze. I believe a everyone there who wanted to transfer was granted immediate eligibilty, including Shea Patterson, UMich QB who started for them last year.

Grimes was granted a hardship waiver to be nearer his mother as she was undergoing cancer treatment.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Now Martell becomes immediately eligible. God only knows what angle that was. Between he and Fields, it's devolving into Free Agency. Retaining rosters for coaches just became a lot tougher.
So? There is free agency for coaches.

And free agency for every other undergrad. I was a free agent myself and switched schools between soph and junior year without sitting out a year.

Last edited:

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So? There is free agency for coaches.

And free agency for every other undergrad. I was a free agent myself and switched schools between soph and junior year without sitting out a year.

Yep. Let them come and leave as they want. Who cares? If a school or conference wants to prevent in conference transfers then let them do that. Otherwise let them come and go.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Yep. Let them come and leave as they want. Who cares? If a school or conference wants to prevent in conference transfers then let them do that. Otherwise let them come and go.

It kills the team dynamic, and will inevitably leave dozens of other committed, loyal players who’ve worked hard for years, hanging out to dry. Look how close we were to seeing this scenario last year, literally the first game after Kelly Bryant announced his transfer. One hit, and Clemson’s season almost goes up in smoke because they suddenly don’t have a serviceable backup. And that was a squad that was obviously the best team in the country. But yet the other 80+ players—many of whom had stuck it out and played their part as backup roles—don’t win a ring because one player takes his doll and goes home.

I understand certain cases. Jefferson and the whole bowl ban rule makes perfect sense. Grimes Iwouldve been ok with either way. But just randomly deciding to leave, likely screwing your coaches and teammates in the process, goes against everything that sports is supposed to be about.

Kids should spend less time on social media and getting swept up in the recruiting frenzy, and more time examining depth charts, offensive/defensive philosophies, and overall risks before making a critical life choice. Bailing them out only fuels the lack of accountability that manifests itself in many of the other choices they end up making.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It kills the team dynamic, and will inevitably leave dozens of other committed, loyal players who’ve worked hard for years, hanging out to dry. Look how close we were to seeing this scenario last year, literally the first game after Kelly Bryant announced his transfer. One hit, and Clemson’s season almost goes up in smoke because they suddenly don’t have a serviceable backup.
That was the result of the redshirt rule, not as a result of the transfer rule.

Cameraderie and "team dynamic" always results from people going to things like this together.

Is teamwork more important than a senior QB getting the opportunity to earn a career in the NFL? What about the loyal senior QB who worked for years?

DaRealGayta

Nov 6, 2018
Loser will transfer soon as he lose the job these kids hate to compete its more of their parents fault especially qbs for some reason

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
It seems the higher profile positions (QB, other skill positions) are getting these waivers - and getting them quickly. If this is going to be the new norm by the NCAA they need to just go ahead and announce it (although I'm on record as being against it, unless it's a hardship situation). Selfishly, we need OL's badly and I'd love to land the Ole Miss kid that just visited, even if he only adds veteran depth.

And this is going to be fun to watch when you get a bad situation and 20+ kids decide they want to transfer in one season (due to an ******* coach or any number of unknown reasons). It's going to be a 'death sentence' for a program.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I don’t really care...as I continue to get older I realize what little time you have for things like this. For the vast majority it ends in HS...if you’re lucky enough to play in college you get 4-5 years max...that’s it. Why waste it sitting on the bench? If you can play somewhere else who cares let em go.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
It seems the higher profile positions (QB, other skill positions) are getting these waivers - and getting them quickly. If this is going to be the new norm by the NCAA they need to just go ahead and announce it (although I'm on record as being against it, unless it's a hardship situation). Selfishly, we need OL's badly and I'd love to land the Ole Miss kid that just visited, even if he only adds veteran depth.

And this is going to be fun to watch when you get a bad situation and 20+ kids decide they want to transfer in one season (due to an ******* coach or any number of unknown reasons). It's going to be a 'death sentence' for a program.

Your last sentence nailed it. It’s all fine until half a roster says, “nope don’t like this new guy” and leaves. The NCAA, if they weren’t already considered the biggest joke on the planet, just backed themselves into an impossible corner on this decision. I can’t think of a single argument that couldn’t be as compelling as this kid’s. It’s full blown free agency at this point, and someone will get absolutely torched as a result. Not dangerously thin, not imbalanced depth chart, not one or two recruiting cycle rebuild. Like nearly unable to field a team of actual scholarship players because they’ve all decided to go elsewhere. We’ve just witnessed what a team looks like when coaches have to give practically anyone a scholarship just to fill a spot. And we’re still several years away from being a championship caliber roster. It will be worse.

I was on record with the Fields situation that while it’s fun to laugh at our rivals’ demise, it will undoubtedly bite us just as hard at some point. And while I’m not worried about this kid per se, it’s ironic how it’s a direct result of that uga/JF move. It won’t take long for some here to change their minds on the matter.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Your last sentence nailed it. It’s all fine until half a roster says, “nope don’t like this new guy” and leaves. The NCAA, if they weren’t already considered the biggest joke on the planet, just backed themselves into an impossible corner on this decision. I can’t think of a single argument that couldn’t be as compelling as this kid’s. It’s full blown free agency at this point, and someone will get absolutely torched as a result. Not dangerously thin, not imbalanced depth chart, not one or two recruiting cycle rebuild. Like nearly unable to field a team of actual scholarship players because they’ve all decided to go elsewhere. We’ve just witnessed what a team looks like when coaches have to give practically anyone a scholarship just to fill a spot. And we’re still several years away from being a championship caliber roster. It will be worse.

I was on record with the Fields situation that while it’s fun to laugh at our rivals’ demise, it will undoubtedly bite us just as hard at some point. And while I’m not worried about this kid per se, it’s ironic how it’s a direct result of that uga/JF move. It won’t take long for some here to change their minds on the matter.

Good points. I have no idea what the solution is, but if the NCAA is going to allow it they need to put some sort of restraints on it; such as a school can only take X number of transfers per year - because some schools, mostly lower level Power 5 (like a Kansas State) and G5 schools could load up on Power 5 transfers.

This is also going to impact HS kids getting a scholarship, due to the 25 initial counters rule - these transfers essentially will count twice (once from their original school and a second time at their new school). Miami, for example, just took 6 grad transfers and Martell. That's 7 initial counters.

Anyhow, the NCAA opened a can of worms here. I'd be curious to see if they deny a kid's waiver request this year and what the reason is. Like the Ole Miss transfer OL that visited us, the stories all said "...after sitting out a year he'll have X years of eligibility left starting in 2020...". Why? Why can't he play immediately if Fields transferred for a BS reason and so did Martell and both got immediate eligibility? A can of worms....

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Let the conferences dictate it then. And if the schools are that worried about it then have the conferences dictate how they will handle scholarships. Make them all 4 year schollies (Which would mean that the student athletes cannot be “phased out”) and if the student leaves to another school then they would be responsible for paying out the remainder of their scholly. That would require the new school to not only pay for the scholarship of the player but also absorb the cost of the existing scholarship at the original school. Similar to the way schools deal with buyouts in coaching contracts.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
. Make them all 4 year schollies (Which would mean that the student athletes cannot be “phased out”) .
Fvkk no. Being stuck w Butters' crap is one of our biggest problem.

No other scholarship is like this. Younget a chemistry scholarship then cant actually do college level.chemistry, you get booted off the scholly.

Last edited:

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Fvkk no. Being stuck w Butters' crap is one of our biggest problem.

No other scholarship is like this. You get a chemistry scholarship then cant actually do college level chemistry, you get booted off the scholly.

Damnit Swonkey, how'd you find out I blew up the chemlab?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator