Important (lounge) questions we all need settled

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
1. Should kids get an allowance?

2. Does TP go up and over the roll or under

3. Should butter stay on the counter for days?

4. Is it ok to spank children with a belt or switch?

5. Should dogs be allowed on the couch or bed?

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
Sure. As long as they work for the allowance.

Up and over. Period. Full stop.

Only if you have small children or octogenarians who can't spread non-mushy butter.

Hell yes.

Sure. But only if (s)he is a good boy/girl.

ExecutiveGator

Paragraphs are great tools. Use them.
Lifetime Member
Dec 5, 2014
1. For performing select chores a week, yes. Not for daily things like picking up after yourself, clearing your plates, taking out trash, etc. Although failure to perform daily chores null and voids select chores.

2. Up and over unless you’re a psychopath.

3. Soft butter until it molds

4. Wooden spoon works equally as well.

5. From experience - no.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
1 - Yes, but only for chores.

2 - Over. I have no idea why she likes it that way, but I know I don’t really care.

3 - Fridge. We live in the south and any food on the counter attracts bugs.

4 - No. It’s all about the drama, and using your hand will accomplish the task. Sorry, but using anything else borders on (or crosses into) child abuse.

5 - In our house, furniture is not for dogs. If nothing else, we’ve always had labs and they shed.

Loogis

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Nah

Over the top. It’s funny this is even a thing.

It should, but whatever.
belt, switch, wooden spoon, etc.

I hate it, but it happens

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
1. Should kids get an allowance? Room & board + clean clothing > an allowance

2. Does TP go up and over the roll or under Doesn't matter. I normally remove the roll from the holder anyways...

3. Should butter stay on the counter for days? Are we talking about "real" butter or the imitation stuff?

4. Is it ok to spank children with a belt or switch? IMO, not only is it ok, I think it is very beneficial to both the child and the parents.

5. Should dogs be allowed on the couch or bed? Dogs do not belong inside of the house so unless your couch or bed is outside, NO.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
no. Do your chores and do well in school... and I’ll pretty much provide for whatever you want.

Over

Heck yes. Maybe GBM should try a Butter Crock. Aint noway a bug can get into that.

One kid had no reaction to a spanking of any kind or method. The other kid is still terrified of the wooden paint stirrer.

We have a tiny yorkie/poodle who doesn’t shed a single hair and is hypoallergenic. She’s not big enough to even get on the couch by herself, but we’ll place here here with us. She has never spent one second in our bed.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

1. Sure, but for accomplishing something like chores. Of course as parents, you still buy them things at times. But I never knew until my adult years that there were kids just getting paid in cash just for existing. Probably explains the amount of commies we have walking around today.

2. Always over. I only knew one girl that did otherwise.

3. I say no, but my grandfather did, so who knows. I also feel like nothing should be left out on the counter.

4. Hand is the go to. Belts are at least on your close by. A switch seems premeditated. Feels like I may be opening myself up to litigation.

5. Should they be, no. Are they, yes.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
1) Not early on, later as they maturing. Chores should very start very early and be strictly enforced.

2) Over

3)I prefer it soft but the times they are a changing.

4) Sofla pegged it

5) Your home, your life style, your rules. I let my Beagle on the couch.

Question: Have you ever heard someone say their grand or great grandmother told them to go cut their switch and bring to her? Some adults told me that happened to them when I was a kid.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
1. The fact that anyone would intentionally create another human being out of thin air makes the point moot. You're giving them all your money anyway.

2. The TP goes sideways on the plunger handle. Clockwise or counterclockwise, its all the same.

3. If your butter stays on the counter for days then you don't eat butter fast enough.

4. I prefer using a closed fist.

5. Dogs are better than people, so yes.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Question: Have you ever heard someone say their grand or great grandmother told them to go cut their switch and bring to her? Some adults told me that happened to them when I was a kid.

Yes. My mother(her parents).

My wife’s parents made her and her brother neal on raw rice for punishment. Other times they made them stand, arms straight out, holding a book in each hand. Both punishments could last up to an hour. And once, after sneaking out as teens, they used sleep deprivation as a way to show them what they’d gone through as worried parents that night. She still says that was the worst.

To be clear, my in-laws are both great people and they’ve softened over the years. Wouldn’t trade them for the world. But basically their entire approach flirted with Geneva Convention violations.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
1. Sure, but for accomplishing something like chores. Of course as parents, you still buy them things at times. But I never knew until my adult years that there were kids just getting paid in cash just for existing. Probably explains the amount of commies we have walking around today.

2. Always over. I only knew one girl that did otherwise.

3. I say no, but my grandfather did, so who knows. I also feel like nothing should be left out on the counter.

4. Hand is the go to. Belts are at least on your close by. A switch seems premeditated. Feels like I may be opening myself up to litigation.

5. Should they be, no. Are they, yes.
From my experience, spanking a kid with the hand tends to hurt the hand when the kids are a bit older. Switches and belts will leave marks that can get one arrested for abuse. A paddle is my go-to because it spreads out the impact area and tends to not leave whelps or bruises.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

1. No. You want to earn money, earn it. Go rake leaves or mow someone’s lawn. “Chores” are part of you living and contributing to the family.

2. Over, not even a question.

3. I like stick butter left out in a proper butter covered container.

4. I was spanked with switches, belts, spoons (wooden & plastic) electrical cords, paddles, yard sticks (wooden and metal), you name it, I was beat with it. I will never, NEVER use anything else other than my hand on my boys. I believe in spankings but I don’t really need to get to that point. They already know and understand when I’m pissed.

5. As @Zambo said, dogs are better than people. I just wish he’d quit eating our socks, underwear and shirts from the laundry.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

I don’t know how old you are but I’m mid 40’s. This option was given to me more than I can count from my Dad, Mom, Grandparents. I was always told, if I didn’t get a good enough one, then they would go get one.

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
1. Should kids get an allowance? I don't care. Mine worked jobs, but whatever works for you is none of my business.

2. Does TP go up and over the roll or under People still use TP after the invention of the bidet? Who knew?

3. Should butter stay on the counter for days? Leave it on the counter in a glass butter dish. Duh.

4. Is it ok to spank children with a belt or switch? As long as they aren't mine, go for it. I'll help.

5. Should dogs be allowed on the couch or bed? Sure. Not my bed, but otherwise I don't care.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Kids have standard chores that they don't get paid for doing: trash, laundry, clean their rooms/bathrooms, help around the house with dishes, vacuum etc In return they get room and board and all necessities paid for. We pay them for weeding, mowing and helping with any construction projects

2. Does TP go up and over the roll or under: up and over - only option

3. Should butter stay on the counter for days? butter stays covered in a dish on the counter

spanked with the hand when they were young but I found other methods more effective for them later. Every kid is different on what motivates them. Figure it out and use it.

Personally I don't understand spanking when they are older because it feels like you are teaching them that hitting is how you resolve issues when someone doesn't do something you want. That’s just me. My mom used belts and switches so I’m against using objects to hit.

Only if you love them.

Last edited:

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020

Uh, that was my mom's method. We had to go to the cherry tree to pick our own switch and it better be a good one or else she would go pick one! I went back to Tallahassee to visit the house we grew up in and the new owner was outside and she let me walk around. (Because of covid I didn't go inside although she invited me in) The first thing I noticed was that the damn cherry tree was GONE! Hallelujah

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
My grandmother died when I was fairly young. My only real memory of her is calmly rocking in her rocking chair. If you walked by too close.... blammo.... you got smacked with a belt that she had hidden on her lap.

She'd always say that we deserved it for something she didnt know about yet.

You learned not to get within striking distance. But sometimes a toy or something got too close. You'd wait for her to doze off. But she was like a cobra. God I miss that woman.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015

1. Yes, for doing housework you would otherwise have to be doing. NOT for basic care of themselves and their belongings.

2. Over, always.

3. No. You wouldn't know how many times any flies have landed on it.

4. Not anymore. I got the belt, my kids have gotten the hand, once. I'm not in charge of this aspect of the family, as you can likely tell.

5. No. In my house, the wife's dog is all over the couch and chairs, but I have forbid the dog on our beds, and even forbid it from the master bedroom. The dog sleeps in bed with my son.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Now, my questions:

1. What time should kid go to bed? Is it different for Elem vs Middle vs HS?

2. What time did YOU go to bed when you were a kid?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb