In depth look at Macs recruiting and if it'll translate to titles

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
That guy did his homework. Impressive. It's depressing but still impressive to come up with those numbers.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Thanks Slevin, that's a great read. Recommend others click the link.

From the link (among the many good tid-bits this guy posted):

6) Oh, and I just added one more blurb on the snapshot spreadsheet as a “stars debate” commentary. Since 2002, Florida has signed a total of 22 non-kicker football recruits who went on to be first-team AP All-SEC (post-season). Of those, 11 were 5-star recruits, 9 were 4-star recruits, and only 2 were 3-star recruits. Consider that for a moment and what the roster will look like in 2017. Ouch.

----

But, I know what's coming: "McElwain is better at evaluating 3-stars than other coaches....so the 3-star kids we take are actually 4 or 5 stars in reality" (or something along those lines)

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
After reading this all the "Pumpers" will understand what several of us have been talking about for 2 1/2 years running. Unless Mac pulls a hell of a class this year it's going to get ruff moving forward!

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
After reading this all the "Pumpers" will understand what several of us have been talking about for 2 1/2 years running. Unless Mac pulls a hell of a class this year it's going to get ruff moving forward!

Agree. And I'm getting tired of the "well, this is really his 2nd class...because the first one doesn't count." BULLSH*T! His first class counts just like every other 1st year coach's first class counts. Some have good classes for one reason or another...some don't. Sure, he salvaged a class out of what Muschamp had left - credit to coach McElwain. But what's the excuse now?

Honestly, the way it's shaking out this cycle, I'd like to see us flip either Leatherwood or Wade (both 5-stars)...or get both! Finishing w/ one 5-star player, 3 or 4 OLs, 3 or 4 DTs and a few more position-of-need players. If it's top 10, great. If not, just fill our needs. I don't want to see one OL in this class. It can be top-10, but if there's only one OL it's a failure on that side of the ball. Last year's #12 class featured ZERO DTs. That's a failure. Fill our needs and let's hope starting in 2018 we are back as a top 10 recruiting program.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Wait ! Can't ya'll see Mac's brilliance ? When Mac shows UF and the SEC how to develop championship
teams out of 3*s only, think how easier that will make recruiting ? It'll be right up our alley. Yeah, what's
Saban gonna do then ? How do top coaches counteract that ? :D

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
I've already given up on Gator Football. We are officially Miami/Notre Dame/Georgia Tech.

Our administration has decided that Academics is all that matters and football is just a way to put money into it. There is no value to them in putting money into football to win championships. In a way they are right. The university exists to educate students. As a fan it just hard to stomach that we have seen the best Gator Football we will ever see. Be happy we got to live through it and see the greatest generation in the universities history. Our kids will have to settle for watching videos and reading history books about it. Kind of like those old Yale, and Princeton championships in the late 1800's.

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
ray-of-sunshine.gif

Back off the ledge..

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I've already given up on Gator Football. We are officially Miami/Notre Dame/Georgia Tech.

Our administration has decided that Academics is all that matters and football is just a way to put money into it. There is no value to them in putting money into football to win championships. In a way they are right. The university exists to educate students. As a fan it just hard to stomach that we have seen the best Gator Football we will ever see. Be happy we got to live through it and see the greatest generation in the universities history. Our kids will have to settle for watching videos and reading history books about it. Kind of like those old Yale, and Princeton championships in the late 1800's.
So you've given up on the program, but you're still going to come here to remind us how terrible we are, how great we used to be, and that you've given up? Great, looking forward to that!

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Well that's depressing. The good news is that winning or a single Tebow-like player could change everything. The bad news is that the likely hood of that happening are slim.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Well that's depressing. The good news is that winning or a single Tebow-like player could change everything. The bad news is that the likely hood of that happening are slim.

Agree. The lower ranked players (non-blue chippers) can be balanced w/ a super-star or two. Look at Clemson & Louisville's QBs. Yes, Clemson has a lot of talent...but that QB single-handedly kept them in the NC game last year. If we can land a super-star QB and get another dynamic player maker or two, it will give us time to build consecutive top 10 classes (preferably top-5 classes). Honestly, if the class is ranked in the top-3 or 4 among SEC teams I'd be happy w/ that, even if it's not a top-10 overall class. Having the 6th or 7th ranked class in the SEC makes it tough to compete when all things are equal.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
As I've pointed out before over on rivals we are ranked 12th in points and 8th in star average. That doesn't suck as many would have you believe. But at the same time it's not good enough. We have to finish with a bang or it's only going to get more difficult. Cross your fingers Gator fans.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
No surprise. I'm worried about recruiting as well. We simply aren't doing well at LB, S, OL, and DL. The haul at corner may be really good but so what if your front 7 sucks. We are doing well at RB and WR. Plus, if Franks can turn into a good passer he can be dominating with that athleticism. I think Mac's future rests on one of those 2 QBs being great so they overcome the deficiencies in other areas.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Butters & Co cant recruit. Anyone with a slight bit of sense knew that already. Hell even Threat, Dan and the rest of the pumpers know it, even if they cant bring themselves to admit it.

Just keep swirling down the toilet bowl and hoping for a miracle.

Last edited:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
If Mac doesn't pull a solid top 10 class this year and has 4 losses this season and next season he is finished and won't get a 4th year.

Oct 5, 2014
When I look at Alabama, Auburn, and the current LSU team, I see bigger, faster, stronger, more athletic, and more motivated players. I think the only way Mac can save his job is to have a top five class this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.