Inflation Duration

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It more than likely has peaked since were past the halfway point of summer(travel and travel related purchases and services typically go to nil in mid August), fuel for travel will decrease, dining hits rock bottom mid August through October, auto and home sales hit seasonal low cycles, pools and sun rooms are already built, people are back at work and school meaning less free time to piss money away....

In fact if I were the Fed I wouldn't do anything until next month to get a better read on where were at inflationwise.

The REAL concern is how long the bleed out last...
That's why they look at the year over year numbers... To remove seasonality.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Nails it on the head

Oh and at Russia and oil being the cause......This is part of the Greatest 7 lies(not counting Obama's) to steal your freedom.
laughs GIF

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Nails it on the head

Oh and at Russia and oil being the cause......This is part of the Greatest 7 lies(not counting Obama's) to steal your freedom.
laughs GIF

So "dollar strong" is a lie (which I get, "strength" is a relative measure), but "Ruble strong" is not a lie? OK.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
So "dollar strong" is a lie (which I get, "strength" is a relative measure), but "Ruble strong" is not a lie? OK.
Who said that? In relative terms it is but the whole summary was about not getting caught up in relative terms. It's the whole inflation narrative that is a joke....Putin....supply chain,.....you name it. In reality there is one main source of inflation right now and that is energy. The rest are all constant moving parts. Some players in the worldwide game know this(Trump did) and a whole lot of mostly western dumbasses that are guessing at a shell game....
Game Agency GIF by Kochstrasse™

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Meh. That guy sounded like a moron to me. He said we don't have demand driven inflation, it's just all the money we printed. Well guess what, that IS demand driven inflation.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
This was a good read - thanks for sharing - but I almost stopped at the very first line.

"Five months into the Russian invasion of Ukraine, there remains a startling lack of understanding by many Western policymakers"

I am certainly no expert on politics, but even without a great depth of knowledge about the motives, methods, and actions, of western policy makers, i.e. western politicians, I am rarely startled by their lack of understanding about anything. It was only becasue I assumed that they really didn't mean it, that I kept reading.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I am not here to bag on anyone that is always on the blower, but Cathie Wood just unloaded over 1M shares of Coinbase at an avg. loss of $200/share. Now I am not very smart and only possess a measly Accounting Degree from the illustrious UF, but I am smart enough to know that is a lot of shekels. Don't get me wrong Wood has gotten plenty right but they also get plenty wrong and I just always urge people to do their own research and think for themselves, kinda like Crete, LOL. Or listen to @bradgator2 daughter

As an aside another example occurred last week when some talking head was on the blower touting stocks he was concerned about. He mentioned one in particular that I own and have for a very long time. I did not care what his view was, but he stated something that was factually incorrect regarding the dividend amount (which is what his thesis was based upon), so it just goes to show you that not even the "pros" always know the facts. Be that as it may, I sent an email to the network, factually showing them where the info was incorrect, and got some canned response saying they cannot correct what has already gone on the air. What a hunk of garbage I wrote back. It would take 10 seconds to tell the error. Oh well, just thought I would share.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Question for @FireFoley, I'm tired of watching a wad of cash sit in my trading account and too scared to buy anymore stocks than I own now until Novemberish.....Looking at short term T bills, 1-3 month. They're at 2.2-2.6 range right now. Any downside? Looks like you can go as short as 1 month....:dunno: If Fed raises 75 basis today will they go higher or do I have to wait for the next auction?

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Question for @FireFoley, I'm tired of watching a wad of cash sit in my trading account and too scared to buy anymore stocks than I own now until Novemberish.....Looking at short term T bills, 1-3 month. They're at 2.2-2.6 range right now. Any downside? Looks like you can go as short as 1 month....:dunno: If Fed raises 75 basis today will they go higher or do I have to wait for the next auction?

I think you have 2 options regarding purchasing treasurys, which I have been doing short term as well b/c it is guranteed and offers duration options. Your brokerage might be able to purchase for you either in the secondary market or the next auction. Or you can set up your own account on Treasury Direct.gov and do it yourself in the aucyions. Short term paper, like 3 and 6 month bills are auctioned every week, usually Monday so opportunity is always there. And even if rates rise after you purchase them, it is so short term that it won't make too much difference. But right now grabbing just under 3% annually on a 6 month bill (1.5%) is a heck of a ot better than ,2%. Yes a lot less than inflation but safe and short.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I think you have 2 options regarding purchasing treasurys, which I have been doing short term as well b/c it is guranteed and offers duration options. Your brokerage might be able to purchase for you either in the secondary market or the next auction. Or you can set up your own account on Treasury Direct.gov and do it yourself in the aucyions. Short term paper, like 3 and 6 month bills are auctioned every week, usually Monday so opportunity is always there. And even if rates rise after you purchase them, it is so short term that it won't make too much difference. But right now grabbing just under 3% annually on a 6 month bill (1.5%) is a heck of a ot better than ,2%. Yes a lot less than inflation but safe and short.
Yes my brokerage account would be the way I will go....don't want the gov having access to my bank accounts or I would have bought the I bond. The current auction is offering the rates I listed but closes tomorrow 7/28. I will go ahead with the 1 month which matures on 8/30 and then see which way the rates go from there. Seems like a good way to stay semi liquid while everything sorts itself out over the next few months. Fed doesn't have a FOMC meeting in August so we won't know what they're going to do until September.....Part of me wants them to pause(work) but if not I'm going this route with some of my idle cash until things change.

Last edited:

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014

Just read on Bloomberg that 1 in 6 households in America is currently behond on their Utility bills. Foreshadowing????

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Very interesting you just posted this as I was just looking at the yield curve given that tomorrow is another rate hike coming from the FED. I know there is always positioning prior to the FED sessions, but something seems more squirrely this AM. Interestingly there has been a lot of blather that things are breaking already and the long rates are going up and short rates are flat this AM. This has happened before during this hiking cycle but for some reason there seems to be some purpose this AM. Could the FED chair be about to channel his inner Prince?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
@FireFoley
Question...Why did the rates on the 1-3 and 4-6 month TBills drop today? I would have thought they would have bumped up a little higher after the rate hike. I bought some at 3.32 and 3.87 respectively but now they have dropped to 3.10 and 3.55....:dunno:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator