Inside Georgia's $200 million quest to take down Alabama

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Foley really screwed us with his arrogant BS. Our recruiting is even worse than it would have been normally under Butters and Mullen because of that moron. He definitely screwed us with the facilities in the post Muschamp years. I guess it will be about the 2021 class or so until that is not an issue any longer.

no1g8r

Bringing Reason to the dumb masses
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2017
I just don't get it. Most of these upgrades seem to have been funded by private donations. Are we having a hard time finding donars? Just hard to believe.

I'd be willing to bet that it isn't a goal of the UGA Athletics dept. to provide funding to the academics side each year. That's something that UF's UAA has been proudly doing for as long as I can remember.

I would be happier if the UAA would use that money to fund athletics (i.e., football facilities), since that is how donors intended it to be used (though the UAA would argue the funding provided to academics comes from UF's share of SEC tv revenues, but it's all the same bucket to me).

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We've never been big spenders and it's not about to change now. This administration is essentially saying, better make do with what you have. We have priorities that go beyond football.
Fvkk Stricklin and Fvkk Fuch.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
The fact that they’re spending all that money just allows their mouth breathing, inbred fans to get their expectations up year after year, again, like they used to, or always have really.

That’ll make it all the more enjoyable when we whip their asses in a little over a month.

F V C K ALL DWAGS, and anyone that looks like em.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
While spending a lot of money on recruiting is not a guarantee of on field success, after all the third biggest spender after Ugly and Bama is Tennessee, not spending is a guarantee of not competing for the best recruits. Without a healthy percentage of high blue chippers, you’re not competing for titles. It really is that simple. The rosters of recent champions pretty much proves the point. I think CDM has done a fabulous job of turning things around, but without better recruiting he will plateau below the championship level. And while I agree with those who argue he needs better recruiters on his staff, the reality is, to win it all nowadays, schools have to go all in. (And it disgusts me Ugly is one of those schools and UF, apparently, is not.)

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
The academic argument is a red herring. The UAA has spent $160M on facilities over the past 5 years or so. $140M of that went to baseball, softball and basketball. Football got a whopping $20M. Had we flipped that, we’d be golden.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The academic argument is a red herring. The UAA has spent $160M on facilities over the past 5 years or so. $140M of that went to baseball, softball and basketball. Football got a whopping $20M. Had we flipped that, we’d be golden.
tenor.gif

NVAGATOR86

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2017
It is clear that UGA'S mission is to be the dominant football power in the SEC and the Country. I don't like anything about their program but I do respect their all in focus on their goal. It is accurate to say that we have emphasized academics but UGA doesn't do bad either. In the latest US News poll we are number 7 in public schools and UGA is 16th. In all schools we were 34 and UGA I believe was 50. My point is that it is possible to be highly ranked in academics and sports.
The key point for me is where are the priorities. At UGA athletics focuses on football. At UF we want to spread the capital funding around to as many sports as possible.
Knowing that, our AD should be looking at how to get the biggest bang for the buck in football. This summer we saw a report showing recruiting expenditures by school. UGA and BAMA led by a wide margin at 2.6MM and 2.3MM. We were ranked 15th at around 1.1MM. So if we don't prioritize football facilities , we should look at the component of the program that can can get us the best results for the dollar. To me recruiting and the resources that make it effective are the one area that we can impact quickly . Upgrading and building new facilities will take time and money. The recruiting piece with additional staff, new analytical tools and money for travel etc, will also require money, but the payback could be much sooner. My experience in business has shown me that you can't always compete on the basis of total dollars spent. But you can focus on at least one critical area of the business that can have the quickest and most cost effective impact on the quality of the product. If our goal is a top 5 class every year, allocate the resources now to make it happen.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Foley really screwed us with his arrogant BS. Our recruiting is even worse than it would have been normally under Butters and Mullen because of that moron. He definitely screwed us with the facilities in the post Muschamp years. I guess it will be about the 2021 class or so until that is not an issue any longer.

Last time I checked, Fooley was still pulling the puppet strings over there and if they ever revoke his charter into the state, there are enough of his minions over there, including Stricknine, that things will not change until the hazmat suit crew come in and completely eradicate the stench.

beteez

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
UPDATED: Check out the star-studded Georgia football visitor list for Notre Dame Georgia

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
200 million, still haven't beat Bama......

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Wonder what they spent on red LEDs? In any case they are certainly committed to doing everything possible. BUut we've got new carpet squares so I'm thankful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb