Insight to Trumps Un-presidential style

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Gatormb, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Gatormb

Gatormb Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $533
    Ratings:
    +540 / -15
    https://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2018/12/what_makes_trump_run.html#ixzz5aMjDHUnP

Overseeing a hotel empire is comparable to managing a fire or police department in a Detroit-like city. Hotels operate 24/7, 365 days a year and exist in near perpetual crisis. I grew up hearing about electricity or hot water suddenly going kaput, reservation systems gone awry, unions threatening picket lines, or health inspectors warning about closing restaurants while an awaiting mass transit strike meant that hotel workers could not show up for their jobs. Meanwhile, banks might threaten receivership unless a half-million mortgage payment was made by next Monday, but the money did not yet exist.

Then there are endless lawsuits, real and fake, along with employees filing grievance claims on everything from wrongful termination to racial discrimination. There were periodic missives from government taxing agencies and multiple other regulators concerning such things as reporting employee tips and overtime. No doubt, my father’s hotel empire helped dozens of lawyers pay their children’s college tuition and finance nice suburban homes. And to top it off, big-city hotels are incredibly multicultural with polyglot staffs whose cultures can conflict.

[​IMG]The upshot is that turning a profit requires a hard-headed “unpresidential” sometimes frantic management approach quite different from the style embraced by our political elites. Key decisions often had to be made on the spot, not shoved off for “further study.” Can you imagine President Obama personally overseeing a large downtown Chicago hotel with 250 poorly educated employees all the while trying to put 500 heads in beds 365 days a year against competitors fighting for the same clientele? He wouldn’t last a week.

Hotels are not a business for delicate egos and soft rhetoric. Indeed, the willingness to take huge financial risks and successfully browbeat tough opponents is a recipe for creating an industry dominated by super-sized egos or, to use Spanish slang, people with cojones. Nice guys harboring self-doubts or who are unwilling to stage temper-tantrums fall by the wayside. It's all Darwinian.

Leadership by necessity is highly personal. You cannot appoint a committee to investigate when a desperate 9 P.M. call from the front desk tells you that there’s no hot water and hundreds of guests are threatening to check out and are refusing to pay. You telephone the chief engineer and you command him, no ifs, ands, or buts, to haul his ass down to the boiler room and fix the problem. If he explains that he’s on vacation, or that the problem is not fixable, you fire him and contract his assistant and make him an offer he cannot refuse -- "fix the f…king water problem or join the unemployment line.” If that doesn’t work, find somebody who can solve the mess and don’t worry about being offensive.

This is a harsh decision-making style that requires zero justification and thus outwardly looks flippant or chaotic. One commands, not persuades. There are no benefits for a boss able to carefully articulate policy to enlighten curious outsiders. These explanations add nothing to the solution, waste time and only confuse employees accustomed to just taking orders. “Do it, since I said so, and I’m the boss” is enough. The metric for success is the outcome, not some long-winded public reasoning that assures the press corps that the boss knows what he is doing.

Read more: https://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2018/12/what_makes_trump_run.html#ixzz5bwuR0HX6
    Follow us: @AmericanThinker on Twitter | AmericanThinker on Facebook

• shabadoo25

shabadoo25 Active Member

Oxbucks:
      $40
      Ratings:
      +37 / -357
      Aren't the majority of Trump's hotels just branded with his name in a licensing agreement? How many hotels is the Trump Org actually operating as described here?

• Gatormb

Oxbucks:
      $533
      Ratings:
      +540 / -15
      Sure a lot are but he's also built a bunch. His dad was an affordable housing builder. Trump went "Manhattan".

Point is with all the red tape Trump has gone through to be super successful you don't get there by being "Presidential". It's not his management style. Had it been he would have failed.

• NOLAGATOR

NOLAGATOR Deep Behind Enemy Lines

Oxbucks:
        $2,530
        Ratings:
        +2,559 / -241
        I like most of Trump's policies.

As a person, I really don’t know the guy but from what I can see, he is not my cup of tea.

But on a strictly policy basis, how the media can totally vilify Trump and give Obama and Clinton passes is beyond me.

And to keep the Government shut down over $5 Bil in a $3.6 Trillion budget is beyond me.

• shabadoo25

shabadoo25 Active Member

Oxbucks:
          $40
          Ratings:
          +37 / -357
          I see Trump as more like a sleazy high level sales guy. "Sure, your new condo in New Jersey has a NYC Central Park view like we said. You own binoculars, right?"

I don't see him as much of a manager at all.

• Facepalm Facepalm x 2
          • Like Like x 1
          • List
          • gatorev12

gatorev12 Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
            $2,089
            Ratings:
            +2,095 / -252
            The problem with this rationalization piece is that executive leadership is not always transferable to different verticals or specialities.

A cutthroat businessman from hotels or real estate would probably fail at managing industries where people skills and channel management are more highly prized (and vice versa). Companies used to operate on the premise that "good executives/managers are good executives/managers everywhere"--but that line of thinking has been dead in the business world for some time.

No different from saying an elite NBA basketball player would instantly be able to make an NFL roster as a TE or WR because of the commonality of being good at catching the ball and being able to jump high: some examples of players being able to switch over, but it's rare.

• ChiefGator

ChiefGator A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!

Oxbucks:
              $2,403
              Ratings:
              +3,667 / -318
              Apparently you don't know about how involved he is in such situations, especially construction. He asks clients all the time for their opinion.

• shabadoo25

shabadoo25 Active Member

Oxbucks:
              $40
              Ratings:
              +37 / -357
              Oh, sure. That's still a far cry from the OP article stating that he's sitting around dealing with dishwashers not showing up for kitchen shifts.

• ChiefGator

Oxbucks:
              $2,403
              Ratings:
              +3,667 / -318

I think that was the OP's personal experience, not Trump's. I could be wrong.

• shabadoo25

shabadoo25 Active Member

Oxbucks:
              $40
              Ratings:
              +37 / -357
              It was the tenor of the article he posted.

• GatorAlways

GatorAlways Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
              $333
              Ratings:
              +536 / -268
              And also doesn't pay them, according to hundreds of lawsuits that have been filed against him and settled:

USA TODAY exclusive: Hundreds allege Donald Trump doesn’t pay his bills

He may be a good president, but there's a mountain of evidence he's a sleazeball deadbeat billionaire.

• ChiefGator

Oxbucks:
              $2,403
              Ratings:
              +3,667 / -318
              Yes not the OP's personal experience, but the author's. Has nothing to do with Trump's work in operations. I bet he relies on his managers for the details, but reviews the performance, sometimes personally.

He is a CEO not a hands on manager of operations, not to mention many of these are just branded facilities.

• g8r.tom

g8r.tom Well-Known Member
                Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                $1,810
                Ratings:
                +1,906 / -43

• Gatormb

Oxbucks:
                $533
                Ratings:
                +540 / -15
                Over 10 years ago had an acquaintance Trump asked to bid on upgrading Mar Largo. Lives in Sarasota, didn't want the job, so he bid it like 30% high.

He got the job and trump stiffed him on the last draw. I heard that story 12 years ago straight from the horses mouth. Got a letter from Trump's attorney.

i

• shabadoo25

shabadoo25 Active Member

Oxbucks:
                $40
                Ratings:
                +37 / -357
                I think a better title is that he is the Pop of a Mom and Pop private business with no Mom. A CEO usually has to answer to a board and Wall Street. He's never answered to anyone since his Dad passed away.

• ChiefGator

Oxbucks:
                $2,403
                Ratings:
                +3,667 / -318
                No a CEO could own all the stock, or so much that the board is not anything. And most CEO's have a board packed with their friends, and if small enough Wall Street does not even notice.

I can see how others describe you as they do.

• ChiefGator

Oxbucks:
                $2,403
                Ratings:
                +3,667 / -318
                And he has to answer to the market which he has done a couple of times.

• GatorAlways

GatorAlways Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
                  $333
                  Ratings:
                  +536 / -268
                  @g8r.tom

And? Just because he settled some and won some absolves him from stiffing others?

You do realize he's also lost some, right?

• Windy City Gator

Windy City Gator Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
                  $990
                  Ratings:
                  +1,070 / -233
                  I have been in the hotel biz since 1991in management and upper management....I have worked with GREAT CEOs and horrible CEOs/owners. The great ones treated us like people, sincerely thanked us and gave us the tools we needed to do our job, whereas the horrible ones were the micromanagers and thought they were above everyone else. They wouldn't even acknowledge the staff.

I have never worked for Trump, so I cannot tell you if he is a good CEO or not.

Regarding what he owns and doesn't from what I have heard, the majority of properties that fly the Trump flag are franchises, but not all. For example, he owns the property in Doral. But the Trump on Miami Beach/Sunny Isles is a franchise.

• leogator

leogator Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
                  $2,422
                  Ratings:
                  +2,451 / -168
                  He does not seem to understand that being a president is not the same as running a family owned business. You have to deal with 535 individual members of congress not to mention the courts. Then there's this pesky document called the constitution and all the law. Not to mention the states. Or our allies.

While I agree with some of his policies. I totally disagree with his style. Attacking everybody does not work really well. Kowtowing to Laura Ingraham does make a good president. Making policy by listening to Fox for 8 hours a day instead of actually reading the policy briefs does not make for great government.