Best Posts in Thread: Insight to Trumps Un-presidential style

1. GR8 2B

GR8 2B A Florida Gator
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $2,935
    Ratings:
    +3,821 / -65
    I wish Americans would quit treating the presidential election as a beauty pageant, and instead treat it as an interview for the most important and perhaps the most demanding position in the country.

• Gatormb

Gatormb Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
      $554
      Ratings:
      +561 / -19
      https://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2018/12/what_makes_trump_run.html#ixzz5aMjDHUnP

Overseeing a hotel empire is comparable to managing a fire or police department in a Detroit-like city. Hotels operate 24/7, 365 days a year and exist in near perpetual crisis. I grew up hearing about electricity or hot water suddenly going kaput, reservation systems gone awry, unions threatening picket lines, or health inspectors warning about closing restaurants while an awaiting mass transit strike meant that hotel workers could not show up for their jobs. Meanwhile, banks might threaten receivership unless a half-million mortgage payment was made by next Monday, but the money did not yet exist.

Then there are endless lawsuits, real and fake, along with employees filing grievance claims on everything from wrongful termination to racial discrimination. There were periodic missives from government taxing agencies and multiple other regulators concerning such things as reporting employee tips and overtime. No doubt, my father’s hotel empire helped dozens of lawyers pay their children’s college tuition and finance nice suburban homes. And to top it off, big-city hotels are incredibly multicultural with polyglot staffs whose cultures can conflict.

[​IMG]The upshot is that turning a profit requires a hard-headed “unpresidential” sometimes frantic management approach quite different from the style embraced by our political elites. Key decisions often had to be made on the spot, not shoved off for “further study.” Can you imagine President Obama personally overseeing a large downtown Chicago hotel with 250 poorly educated employees all the while trying to put 500 heads in beds 365 days a year against competitors fighting for the same clientele? He wouldn’t last a week.

Hotels are not a business for delicate egos and soft rhetoric. Indeed, the willingness to take huge financial risks and successfully browbeat tough opponents is a recipe for creating an industry dominated by super-sized egos or, to use Spanish slang, people with cojones. Nice guys harboring self-doubts or who are unwilling to stage temper-tantrums fall by the wayside. It's all Darwinian.

Leadership by necessity is highly personal. You cannot appoint a committee to investigate when a desperate 9 P.M. call from the front desk tells you that there’s no hot water and hundreds of guests are threatening to check out and are refusing to pay. You telephone the chief engineer and you command him, no ifs, ands, or buts, to haul his ass down to the boiler room and fix the problem. If he explains that he’s on vacation, or that the problem is not fixable, you fire him and contract his assistant and make him an offer he cannot refuse -- "fix the f…king water problem or join the unemployment line.” If that doesn’t work, find somebody who can solve the mess and don’t worry about being offensive.

This is a harsh decision-making style that requires zero justification and thus outwardly looks flippant or chaotic. One commands, not persuades. There are no benefits for a boss able to carefully articulate policy to enlighten curious outsiders. These explanations add nothing to the solution, waste time and only confuse employees accustomed to just taking orders. “Do it, since I said so, and I’m the boss” is enough. The metric for success is the outcome, not some long-winded public reasoning that assures the press corps that the boss knows what he is doing.

Read more: https://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2018/12/what_makes_trump_run.html#ixzz5bwuR0HX6
      Follow us: @AmericanThinker on Twitter | AmericanThinker on Facebook

• DaveFla

DaveFla Well-Known Member
        Supporting Member

Oxbucks:
        $1,142
        Ratings:
        +1,169 / -22
        I’ve worked directly with Trump. Met him several times. He stiffed me for $600.

• Bushmaster

Bushmaster Well-Known Member
          Supporting Member

Oxbucks:
          $1,352
          Ratings:
          +1,364 / -79

A good chunk of this country are idiots.

"Presidential" got us 21 TRILLION in debt. We have had enough of that.

• Bushmaster

Bushmaster Well-Known Member
            Supporting Member

Oxbucks:
            $1,352
            Ratings:
            +1,364 / -79
            Trump is an *******.

I dont care.

I like his policies.

• Gatormb

Gatormb Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
              $554
              Ratings:
              +561 / -19
              Sure a lot are but he's also built a bunch. His dad was an affordable housing builder. Trump went "Manhattan".

Point is with all the red tape Trump has gone through to be super successful you don't get there by being "Presidential". It's not his management style. Had it been he would have failed.

• gardnerwebbgator

gardnerwebbgator Deplorable
                Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                $3,202
                Ratings:
                +7,446 / -270
                If Gore just won his home state of Ten R C, he would have been POTUS.

A dumbass of epic proportion.

• ChiefGator

ChiefGator A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!

Oxbucks:
                  $2,496
                  Ratings:
                  +3,760 / -328
                  His home state was actually Washington DC. Sort of!!!

• Gator Fever

Gator Fever Senior Member

Oxbucks:
                    $4,527
                    Ratings:
                    +8,589 / -383
                    We are overdue for a recession but we are clearly overperforming most evolved economies where many in Western Europe are way below our growth rates now.

Not sure when a recession will happen but I think we keep outperforming most of those other economies.

• shabadoo25

shabadoo25 Active Member

Oxbucks:
                      $41
                      Ratings:
                      +38 / -384
                      You have to go back a ways to find where the least charismatic candidate won. People want some version of movie star quality in a president, unfortunately.

• leogator

leogator Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
                        $2,790
                        Ratings:
                        +2,853 / -192
                        He does not seem to understand that being a president is not the same as running a family owned business. You have to deal with 535 individual members of congress not to mention the courts. Then there's this pesky document called the constitution and all the law. Not to mention the states. Or our allies.

While I agree with some of his policies. I totally disagree with his style. Attacking everybody does not work really well. Kowtowing to Laura Ingraham does make a good president. Making policy by listening to Fox for 8 hours a day instead of actually reading the policy briefs does not make for great government.

• gatorev12

gatorev12 Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
                          $3,085
                          Ratings:
                          +3,114 / -318
                          The problem with this rationalization piece is that executive leadership is not always transferable to different verticals or specialities.

A cutthroat businessman from hotels or real estate would probably fail at managing industries where people skills and channel management are more highly prized (and vice versa). Companies used to operate on the premise that "good executives/managers are good executives/managers everywhere"--but that line of thinking has been dead in the business world for some time.

No different from saying an elite NBA basketball player would instantly be able to make an NFL roster as a TE or WR because of the commonality of being good at catching the ball and being able to jump high: some examples of players being able to switch over, but it's rare.

• NOLAGATOR

NOLAGATOR Deep Behind Enemy Lines
                            Supporting Member

Oxbucks:
                            $2,924
                            Ratings:
                            +2,962 / -330
                            I like most of Trump's policies.

As a person, I really don’t know the guy but from what I can see, he is not my cup of tea.

But on a strictly policy basis, how the media can totally vilify Trump and give Obama and Clinton passes is beyond me.

And to keep the Government shut down over $5 Bil in a $3.6 Trillion budget is beyond me.

The Box

Help

You don't have the necessary permissions to use the chat.

1. There are currently no users chatting.
                                • About Us

Our community sprung up when the Gatorsports message board was shut down in the summer of 2014. We pride ourselves on offering Gator-biased, yet critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is the best Gator message board you will find.
                                • Like us on Facebook

• Buy us a Zima!

The management works very hard to make sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a non-alcoholic Zima? We'd really appreciate it! Just click the "Donate" tab at the top of the page.