Interceptions

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Who GAF?

You know, Wuerffel often threw multiple ints. If you are throwing tds (or moving the ball and acoring after some diwnfield passes) ints dont hurt much. i bet #15 and #8 wish they had those catches over again.

Very nice to see vertical offense. Very nice to see WRs not blocking on almost every play (even on the passes the last three games, they were often called screens, and WRs except the one, were blocking).

Receivers running patterns create room even for draws, make LBs and safeties hesitate to read pass or run. This isnt hard.

Other teams will know better than selling out vs the run, bc we will use our WRs perhaps.

I bet #15 and #8 wish they had another chance at those touchdown passes.

We are still thoroughly wedded to zone-read. Emory Jones will be that guy, it seems. I guess I don't mind because frankly it works when he's on the field, but I just don't want to see it when Trash is on the field.

We ran some zone read in the first half with Trash however. Of course the unblocked defensive end was destroying Perine in the backfield. In the second half, he had some nice runs off traditional blocking plays, a power and something else (I forget what).

With Trash, this is what we must do.

So.... then you have a conventional offense running power, off tackle, etc for Trash and zone read and that playbook for EJ, for offensive line that's already marginal. personally, I say shelve the zone-read for the year and run a conventional offense even when EJs on the field. Make it sumple for the OL.

Preseason is almost over.

Articulate.

Last edited:

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
See, we suffer from battered wife syndrome. We got used to the few times Franks throws, and then he gets an INT and then we go into a shell and just play like crap after that. He got better this year before he wrecked his ankle.

No one minds an occasional INT when your lord and savior Trask comes and throws with success downfield.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Liked what I saw today much better than what I have seen in the recent past (and the not so recent past). Would have liked it even better if we had run better. Law, you still thinking that the O-LINE will be good by mid-season? Two more games, but pass blocking is surprisingly good already.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Liked what I saw today much better than what I have seen in the recent past (and the not so recent past). Would have liked it even better if we had run better. Law, you still thinking that the O-LINE will be good by mid-season? Two more games, but pass blocking is surprisingly good already.
classic_zone-read.0.jpg

I know you aren't an X's and O's guy. Try this. Rewatch the first half runs by Perine. Rewind and slo mo if you aren't used to looking for this stuff. If he is running left (seems like that was most of them) don't watch Perine, watch the LEFT DEFENSIVE END (backside, in some defenses it will be a OLB or what the coaches just call EMOL End Man on the Line). He will be the defensive lineman we choose not to block. Watch him crash or at least cheat on every play and catch Perine from behind. That isn't on Perine or the OL, that is the way the play is called and they are blocking EXACTLY the way Mullin wants it blocked. That is the defense not respecting Trash as a runner. Only once did we burn them for cheating, that run that Trash took to the left side when we were running to the right.

(Note we don't run it exactly like that diagram, we tend to combo block, but I'm just showing you that the basic play does involve not blocking the end.)

When EJ (and Pierce) is on the field, watch again. We run almost exclusively some variation of that same play with him. Now focus on that same backside defensive end, he stays home. Pierce picks up yardage. It's all because that backside end (unblocked) respects the run.

We can't play that with Trash, we just can't. It should never be called. (The zone read and other read options werent really much better with Franks.)

Has the OL struggled at times, yes. Are the functional? Well, they are blocking option with EJ and Pierce at least vs Tinerc. And they were blocking power and iso in the second half with Trash and Pee. They've been generally functional on pass plays even in the past games.

These coaches are stubborn. SOS refused from 1980 something til 1996 to use the QB in the shotgun. They can be very damn stubborn.

Last edited:

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member

Ok, the guy's a dwag and f all them, but he's not too bad.

Thought Criminal

Lifetime Member
Jul 31, 2018
Absolutely. Gunslinger's gonna gunsling.

It could be a perfect situation. Mullen throws EJ out there for a series here and there, gets to tinker with his read-option and Trask can do this... and maybe even more. Of the ~300 yards through the air, It probably wasn't more than 50 YAC. It was mostly all in the air, nothing cheap about it.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
He wants to use the running game in stretches to try and attack a defense that has committed to stopping Trask and the air assault.

The first time he went for it was stupid but the second go at it right in the middle of a drive where Kyle walked off on second down and never came back allowed the OL a chance to get the running game switched on with EJ and Pierce.

It’s challenging for a young inexperienced line but it looks like two offenses are going to get dropped in their laps.

I agree we should ride the wave of destiny and play some throwback pitch and catch with Trask, this receiving corps, and Pitts (!).

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
The pass to Grimes was a dime. Should’ve been caught.
Have you actually rewatched it? It’s worse in hindsight - bad decision. Grimes and the DB both had hands on it and Trask didn’t respect the safety. If the safety wasn’t there, it’s a great risk to take. As it was, too risky. Sammons article said he stared Grimes down, one of the few times he didn’t hold the safety with his eyes. But good learning experience.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Who GAF?

You know, Wuerffel often threw multiple ints. If you are throwing tds (or moving the ball and acoring after some diwnfield passes) ints dont hurt much. i bet #15 and #8 wish they had those catches over again.

Very nice to see vertical offense. Very nice to see WRs not blocking on almost every play (even on the passes the last three games, they were often called screens, and WRs except the one, were blocking).

Receivers running patterns create room even for draws, make LBs and safeties hesitate to read pass or run. This isnt hard.

Other teams will know better than selling out vs the run, bc we will use our WRs perhaps.

I bet #15 and #8 wish they had another chance at those touchdown passes.

We are still thoroughly wedded to zone-read. Emory Jones will be that guy, it seems. I guess I don't mind because frankly it works when he's on the field, but I just don't want to see it when Trash is on the field.

We ran some zone read in the first half with Trash however. Of course the unblocked defensive end was destroying Perine in the backfield. In the second half, he had some nice runs off traditional blocking plays, a power and something else (I forget what).

With Trash, this is what we must do.

So.... then you have a conventional offense running power, off tackle, etc for Trash and zone read and that playbook for EJ, for offensive line that's already marginal. personally, I say shelve the zone-read for the year and run a conventional offense even when EJs on the field. Make it sumple for the OL.

Articulate.

Agreed, although I think you should refer to him as Trask, at least until if he shiats the bed. I mean, I get it...you’ve been doing this so long it’s probably just muscle memory but could we maybe see the kinder, gentler version of Donk as it relates to Kyle? At least until the next game? :lol:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

Ok, the guy's a dwag and f all them, but he's not too bad.

So, that one time we hurt Tinerc with the zone read with Trash is in that video.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Absolutely. Gunslinger's gonna gunsling.

It could be a perfect situation. Mullen throws EJ out there for a series here and there, gets to tinker with his read-option and Trask can do this... and maybe even more. Of the ~300 yards through the air, It probably wasn't more than 50 YAC. It was mostly all in the air, nothing cheap about it.
I don't care much if it's all through the air, despite what the Hairy One says about me. SOS made most of his money behind the backers and in front of the safeties. That works fine. And it opens up the running game and draw game.

Trash had a good night for sure.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Have you actually rewatched it? It’s worse in hindsight - bad decision. Grimes and the DB both had hands on it and Trask didn’t respect the safety. If the safety wasn’t there, it’s a great risk to take. As it was, too risky. Sammons article said he stared Grimes down, one of the few times he didn’t hold the safety with his eyes. But good learning experience.
I don't think he misread the safety, I think he looked right and FELT that pressure so he launched it. He trusted himself too much maybe, but he didn't have time to look left and throw or wait on an outlet.

It was no big deal. I'm far more concerned about maybe 20 wasted plays than one pass that was basically a punt.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015

He looked off but the safety wasn’t fooled. There were two dbs there to make a play on the ball.

It was a bad decision and I hope teams don’t figure out how to bait him into more.

But despite that Grimes had two hands on it, shoulda caught it, and it was still a dime.

Thought Criminal

Lifetime Member
Jul 31, 2018
It was way way too tight a window and a bad decision. Perfect pass right on the hands, just too much traffic. Right in front of us, I thought he was going to pull it in.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
So, that one time we hurt Tinerc with the zone read with Trash is in that video.

Zone read is a novelty with Trask that can only be used effectively once a game. It’s only integral with EJ In there.

He’s gotta figure out how to get his run fix on without shooting himself in the foot with it but if he creates a two headed monster that works we may put a bigger scalp on the wall this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.