Interesting tidbit on Winston crab leg heist

Himey

Founding Member
Super Important Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I attended a Rotary lunch today where the Tampa Bay Bucs head of security operations was giving a speech. He was commenting on his research into Winston in the lead up to the NFL draft and how he discovered that Winston wasn't such a bad guy after all!

One of the examples he gave was that Winston didn't steal the crab legs at all. Turns out that an FSU booster had a standing agreement with Publix to give the players whatever they needed in groceries. So you see? Winston wasn't stealing....he was just picking up his weekly booster contribution. Everyone in the room started laughing at that but the Bucs official didn't seem to understand why everyone was laughing. I suppose NCAA violations aren't his concern so he never gave it any thought.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
How that story hasn't gotten out of true boggles my mind. Maybe FSU worked with a booster to say that was the story after the fact for Winston's draft?

Why would a public employee get him arrested if that was the case?

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I am taking a trip to Panama beach soon and was surfing local restaurant menus when I saw a Jameis crableg special at one location....no kidding.

Himey

Founding Member
Super Important Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm assuming not many of the Publix employees would have known about the arrangement. It makes sense though....Winston was very casual and matter of fact about walking out with the crab legs as though he truly didn't think he was doing anything wrong. Nothing wrong with the law but would be with the NCAA it seems. Hence the backstory that he just walked about by accident.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
I heard FSU boosters are buying their own local 7-11 market so FSU players can rob it at will with no charges filed.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
By NFL standards, he wasn't a crook and they really don't care about NCAA Sanctions.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I call total BS. If a booster set up the Free Groceries at Publix, there would have to be some kind of account set up for the goods to be paid. I'm certain the protocol wouldn't be to just casually walk out the door without going to a register. He was stealing and he knew it.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I call total BS. If a booster set up the Free Groceries at Publix, there would have to be some kind of account set up for the goods to be paid. I'm certain the protocol wouldn't be to just casually walk out the door without going to a register. He was stealing and he knew it.

Some fools will believe anything they read.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014

Either way, the justification/coverup was SOP like all the other crap that's happened in tally.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Guys, guys, be easy on them. FSU called James Comey for direction. He assured them that knowledge of breaking the law isn't important, only the intent to break the law matters. It's apparently near impossible to prove too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator