Is Brady or Belichick most responsible for the Pats success?

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Without Brady, Belichick has no Super Bowls. I'm not sure if Brady would have any without Belichick.

I believe that without Brady, Belichick would have needed to find another championship level QB to win it all. Brady could win championships with other good coaches with a good rosters for another solid franchise. On the other hand if Brady had gone to a bad franchise he might well have been just another late round pick who was in the NFL for a few years and maybe became a journeyman QB.

Heck it is not like Belichick was smart enough to bench Bledsoe and start the GOAT. It took an injury. So Belichick apparently did not recognize the GOAT but rather was lucky that Bledsoe go hurt and he was forced to play Brady. That is so NFL to me.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Its the coach. Consider this for a moment - swap aaron rodgers and tom brady. Does brady really make green bay win another title, just one? Doubtful they do better than what theyve done with rodgers. Now rodgers with the pats squad and coach b; you bet your sweet azz they win at least 1 or 2 over the same period.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Two years ago, I would have said Brady, but for last night I have to say Belichick. The Rams had one of the better offenses this year and Belichick made them look incompetent. The Pats would have won yesterday with just about any decent NFL QB.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I agree with JB. The hallmark of the Patriots over the years is that they play very solid, team oriented football. They may not have 6 Super Bowl wins without Brady, but they would have some for sure.

Put Brady on the Jags or Browns and I think he has zero rings.
Why you got to bring the Jags into this?

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Sustained success in the NFL is almost impossible. Give Belichick a QB who fits the system and he;ll find a way to win, even if that means changing the system. This year was a case in point. The Pats started out looking like hot garbage and he, Belichick, figured it out. The O-Line was a collection of unrecognizable names but Belichick yanked his old O-Line coach out of retirement because he knew he had a problem.

Brady in another franchise would probably win some rings. But I can't think of another coach who could sustain success like the Pats have.

GBHOR

Its Not Awful
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
The Jets are most responsible, Brady was behind Bledsoe and only got on the field because, Bledsoe got destroyed by the Jets linebacker, collapsing a lung i think, and the rest is history. Sometimes lady luck is on your side. There are articles written on it.
That same year Brady got hurt in the playoffs and Bledsoe came back in and lead them to the victory over the Steelers to get to the SB.

Last edited:

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The rams became much easier to defend when their best possession receiver went down
late in the year . Hell the Eagles who were far from great put up a great blueprint of how
to move the ball against them at will late in the year. And that was in LA before Gurley got
dinged up, and CJ was still with the Panthers I believe. Since neither are spring chickens
there isn't a longevity value over one or the other. So in this case I take the great QB over the great coach.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I agree with JB. The hallmark of the Patriots over the years is that they play very solid, team oriented football. They may not have 6 Super Bowl wins without Brady, but they would have some for sure.

Put Brady on the Jags or Browns and I think he has zero rings.

Hell, he might not see the field as a 6th round pick, people forget how average he was his first 3 seasons starting.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Both are Hall of Fame, both are GOAT at their position. But Brady has to worry about 1 out of 53, BB has to manage the whole 53+practice squad. BB also has coached both sides of the ball in his time as Head Coach, and for a season was Brady's qb coach (according to his book).

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Remember all those championships Brady won at Meatchikn?

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
Eh, I’d lean more towards BB if for no other reason than the gameplanning on defense and offense.

However, Brady has fit the system well, and has played his role with virtually no superstar receivers(outside of Gronk and Moss, who was on the tail end of his career). They lose one white, short, possession type receiver in Welker and just plug and play with Edelman. That’s coaching and system.

Cool under pressure and being THE guy you don’t want having the ball late in a big game with a chance to win it, that’s Brady.

Both easily the GOAT at their respective professions.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It is pretty easy to be cool under pressure when you get touched once, on the ankle by the defensive end's hand only, in two games.

Brady is undoubtedly the most effective QB in this era, but I wonder what he would look like behind the Bengals OL and I know what he looked like behind Meatchikn's.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It is pretty easy to be cool under pressure when you get touched once, on the ankle by the defensive end's hand only, in two games.
Its ok, if someone were to "manhandle" Brady like that the refs would be right there to throw the flag. Exhibit A: AFCCG

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Its ok, if someone were to "manhandle" Brady like that the refs would be right there to throw the flag. Exhibit A: AFCCG

There is the Tom Brady rule for a reason.

Malaka

Sep 6, 2018
Brady fanboys give him all the credit. He's great no doubt but the patriots records as a team weighs too heavily on the average fans opinion. Brady has had some of the best special teams play, offensive lines and productive playoff defenses ever yet gets all the credit.

Brady commands the offense and gets the ball out quick to his credit. What puts him over the edge though is the time he has when he doesnt HAVE to get the ball out quickly. When that happened to manning it was a sack. When that happens to Brady he has 10 seconds to find the breakdown in coverage.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
No team does situational football better than the Patriots... that is coaching.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Remember all those championships Brady won at Meatchikn?
This is retarded. How many championships did Montana win at Notre Dame? Go down the list of great QBs and you are going to see very few NC’s.

What makes Brady great is his leadership and performance with the game on the line, not his stats. Throwing stats out there is dumb. If you could have one QB in history for one game, it would be Brady.

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

It's a good question that I don't have an answer for. It reminds me of the Vince Lombardi - Bart Starr relationship when the Packers ran off a string of consecutive NFL Championships
I can see the same thing happening to the Pats when Brady and Belichick leave that happened to the Packers after Lombardi and Starr we’re gone. The Packers were basically average for 25 years. The Pats weren’t much before Belicick and Brady muck like the Packers weren’t much before Lombardi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.