Is Harbaugh trying to get back into the NFL?

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Good question. I've read everyone from Saban to Fitz the HC at Northwestern to McDaniels to Lincoln Riley. I will pass on college coaches.

I want someone who knows offense. I would pay Sean Payton 10 million a year or pay McVay about 6 million a year. Doubt either bite. I'd look at McDaniels.

List of college coaches who won NFL championships since Jimmy Johnson did so well he won one for Barry Switzer in 1995-96:

1. Pete Carroll (also had NFL HC experience)

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
Well if Harbaugh wants to return the NFL let's speed up his timeline by whipping Meatchiken's azz in the Peach Bowl.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
List of college coaches who won NFL championships since Jimmy Johnson did so well he won one for Barry Switzer in 1995-96:

1. Pete Carroll (also had NFL HC experience)

Switzer showed the players matter a lot winning it in his 2nd year there. Having said that - a coach in the NFL definitely has the most impact out of the big sports.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Switzer showed the players matter a lot winning it in his 2nd year there. Having said that - a coach in the NFL definitely has the most impact out of the big sports.
Switzer was one of the worst coaches in history.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I simply think he prefers the NFL. He’ll get an 8 million+ a year offer to return. And no recruiting.

That may well be true, but if he leaves now he won’t have accomplished his goal of getting Michigan back to championship level - at least for the Big 10+2. With Meyer gone he’s got a shot to break through.

He’s living my main concern about Mullen & UF. It feels really good to see the fundamentals of a program on the right path. Harbaugh has gotten the Wolverines back to the top 10, so let’s say he’s got 90% of his work done.

The challenge is that next 5-10%. As hard as everyone has worked to get them this far, the last bit is the toughest.

Football is a game of inches, but championships are won on a narrower difference. A CB can have great position, speed & technique, but it’s that last half inch that determines a TD vs. deflected pass. Same is true for the WR. You can apply the principle to every position on the field. And it applies in sum to the entire program.

By that measure, Harbaugh is short. And the question is, can Mullen carry our program that last 5-10%?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Hopefully we get a coach to bring us 3 national championships and 8 seasons with only one loss or less.
I meant in the NFL, which was obvious to anyone with a double-digit IQ based on the content of the discussion. No offense Fever, you know I'm a fan of yours.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
That may well be true, but if he leaves now he won’t have accomplished his goal of getting Michigan back to championship level - at least for the Big 10+2.
Goals change, especially after you realize the pressure cooker of big-time college football and recruiting flat-out sucks compared to the cushy NFL, where you can lose 7 games and often still make the damn playoffs.

If he doesn't take it now, he'll be taking it in the next 3 years for sure. Recruits shouldn't go anywhere near that place.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I meant in the NFL, which was obvious to anyone with a double-digit IQ based on the content of the discussion. No offense Fever, you know I'm a fan of yours.

Dallas had some real good players then but Switzer kept it going the first couple of years and players get older. Heck that SF game was a crazy loss also that first year with the non-call at the end and how Dallas just self destructed early with turnovers.

I will admit Switzer probably wasn't going to be his own OC anytIme soon in the NFL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator