Is March Madness in jeopardy?

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
I disagree. My view of this team in the SEC is that it has three road wins which is GREAT. It has one home win which is NOT GOOD. If UF goes back to winning SEC games at home and picks up another road win or two it would be a great SEC season. That would be a great SEC season any year and particularly this season when the SEC is pretty good.
So you think the Gators are playing at the same high level now as they did in Portland and were ranked solidly in the Top 10 and were the talk of the college basketball world. How far have they fallen in the polls since that opening week? Don't get me wrong, I hope our Gators win every game but the current level of play is very inconsistent.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
So you think the Gators are playing at the same high level now as they did in Portland and were ranked solidly in the Top 10 and were the talk of the college basketball world. How far have they fallen in the polls since that opening week? Don't get me wrong, I hope our Gators win every game but the current level of play is very inconsistent.

Well:

1. After I posted, I realized maybe I should have just posted and posted it as a response to you.th

2. As far as Portland goes, UF went 2-1 out there which was the minimum UF needed to go there. Keep in mind UF beat a mediocre Stanford team, had to go to OT to beat a mid-major program though I guess the top one in recent years and lost to Duke. I knew at the time that is what UF had done.

3. Other than losing to Loyola Chicago, there was not that much of a surprise in the pre-season. I did hope UF would beat FSU, but losing was not a terrible surprise, though the way was. I guess I might have thought UF might have beat Clemson and lost to Cincy, but it happened the other way.

4. And as I suggested earlier, had UF lost at Rupp and beat SoCar at home, no one would really be puzzled about this team much at all. I think UF should win all their home SEC games, but alas that does not happen every year. I think your goal is to get a decent number of road wins. UF already has 3.

5. UF is who they are. They are a bit perimeter oriented. UF is probably better now than the were in Portland. Hayes is not getting suspended any more it seems/I hope. Hudson has gone from a terrible defensive player to maybe a poor or even an average defender and is a good rebounder for a 2. Stone has come around and is a factor. Koulechov has shown he can consistently contribute against high major talent. None of those thing had to happen and UF could have become aTm. Instead, UF has won 3 of its first 5 five SEC road games, but has lost one SEC home game UF shouldn't have.

6. So what matters is what happens from now. UF's next 4 games include 3 home games, so any less than 3 wins is a problem.

BTW, I think this is a great thread. A home loss to UAL two years ago put UF in a real bind that allowed UF to be once again cheated out of an NCAA bid.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
This UF team is confused about the luck that it must depend upon. :confused:

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I hope I am wrong.

It is basically irrelevant to me whether or not UF has any NBA players. I guess I do like the total in the NBA to be up there to help recruiting.

Still I am perfectly content to win 30 games in a row as in 2013-14 with little NBA talent. In fact a college team that plays together with less NBA talent or ala the 04s NBA talent that matured at UF is more entertaining to me than a college team of one and does winning only on talent rather than connectiveness.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
One thing to think about is that inconsistency is not just a UF problem this year.

Kansas lost at home today to OK State
Duke lost already to St. Johns
West Virginia has lost 3 in a row
Oklahoma lost to Alabama

So while there are certainly some teams that look great (Villanova, Virginia)... there is nobody that looks unbeatable and a lot of teams have been inconsistent. UNC has 7 losses just like we do.

We have a number of quality wins (Cincy, at UK, Gonzaga) and unfortunately some bad losses also, but I think we will make the tourney... not sure how far we go once we get there.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I'd be interested in a discussion, even speculative on Egbunu's future next year. How in the world can he look attractive to any NBA team with so few games plus having to play cautiously protective and with much rust ??

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
It is really hard for me to believe that the team that set the world on fire in Portland at the beginning of the season is the same one that looked so bad playing UGa and USCe. The inconsistency is hard to fathom and very disturbing. I hope they can find a measure of team chemistry before the tournaments begin.
Those performances look pretty good compared to today's embarrassment:banghead:

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
I'd be interested in a discussion, even speculative on Egbunu's future next year. How in the world can he look attractive to any NBA team with so few games plus having to play cautiously protective and with much rust ??

At this point it may be best to try to get a medical redshirt and a 6th year for Eggy.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
White needs to make the tourney...if not...he'll have ONE ncaa tourney out of 7 years of coaching. That pretty much tells you all you need to know.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
It’s a black guy, doubt Ox knows who he is. I’ve been a fan of Sowell for a long long time.
Take a day off for this cheap shot. You just never know when to STFU.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Take a day off for this cheap shot. You just never know when to STFU.
Just for the record, a cheap shot is linked to an insult that is true. Like making fun of Trump because he’s from Queens. It’s true but a sore subject. Just sayin’

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
We are playing with fire some. We are now barely in the top 50 in RPI.

Windy City Gator

Banned
BANNED
Oct 26, 2017
I started this thread a week ago....and my confidence level of this team making the field of 64 has now gone down. I would say they are 55/45 chance of making the field. It is by far not a lock. They have not only regressed, but regressed BIG TIME. No depth and you can see they are getting tired and do not have their legs under them...which is the first thing to go when shooting the three.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
ESPN Bubble Watch

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...bble-watch-returns-competition-places-acc-sec

Gators in the "Work to Do" category.

Florida
(15-8, 6-4 SEC)

RPI SOS BPI SOR
46th 12th 33rd 37th

Current trends say the Gators will indeed make the 2018 NCAA tournament with ease, and then they'll quite possibly be the single most mystifying team in the field of 68. Florida was hailed as a potential Final Four team in some quarters after it beat Gonzaga in double-overtime and took Duke to the wire in back-to-back neutral-court games in November. However, the Gators are just 10-8 since their win over the Bulldogs. In SEC play, Florida has paid dearly for an inability to convert opportunities inside the arc.

Windy City Gator

Banned
BANNED
Oct 26, 2017
Bumping this thread that I started on January 31st....when they were considered a lock to make the tourny, but like many of you, I saw the start of the wheels falling off. This is the second time in three years White's team had a late season collapse will not make the tournament. I firmly believe they will be in the NIT again, especially after the past week's performances. White has a new nickname. Mr. NIT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.