Is the age of run-out-the-clock football finally over?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
People are already talking about this being Florida's 2009 for Bammer. I'm sure by now most in CFB would hope that is true.

Or will Saban simply reload with better coordinators?

Only time will tell.

The next question is have we finally seen the end of Time of Possession ball? Clemson beat Bammer the way so many others have or almost did, by airing it out and exposing their weak secondary. Even Matt Fatford exposed them, but for a decade, teams have instead tried to out ground and pound Bammer, with little success.

Is scoring points and airing it out finally back?

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
giphy.gif

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
I think it just reinforced the idea that a RPO based offense can be absolutely lethal if the 10+ yard downfield passing element is even semi-consistent. It essentially shrinks the talent gap - much like the 3 pointer did in basketball. There will always be a place in CFB for an ultra talented, ground and pound team. Just nice to see the little guy find an advantage that can neutralize it.

SC Gator

Sorta Kinda
Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Quarterbacks matter. As poised Tua was at times and he is really good, this Clemson QB is borderline great as a FRESHMAN.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Will Saban last?

Why keep doing this? What does he need to prove?

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
People are already talking about this being Florida's 2009 for Bammer. I'm sure by now most in CFB would hope that is true.

Only time will tell.

The next question is have we finally seen the end of Time of Possession ball? Clemson beat Bammer the way so many others have or almost did, by airing it out and exposing their weak secondary. Even Matt Fatford exposed them, but for a decade, teams have instead tried to out ground and pound Bammer, with little success.

Someone needs to give Kerwin Bell a chance at Power 5 OC

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
God, I hope so.

If you've got a talented QB and receivers there's never really any reason to stop passing the ball no matter what your lead or game situation.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
I dont know ... I kinda think that Clemson was just a lot better than Bama last night instead of making this win a lot more than it really is? I saw a different game I guess. I saw one DL harrassing a QB while the other DL barely getting close to the other QB. Thought Locksley called a bad game too.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Clemson's lines were better than Alabama last night. Both of Clemson's lines spent the night on Bama's side of the line of scrimmage.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
The pendulum does seem to be swinging back to a more "wide open" offensive paradigm. The fun n' gun may never return, to the SEC at least, but a flexible RPO concept featuring a viable downfield passing game is already looking like the successor to the "ground and pound."

Last edited:

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
Clemson's lines were better than Alabama last night. Both of Clemson's lines spent the night on Bama's side of the line of scrimmage.

And yet: Bama was able to run at will last night and was getting like 7-8 yards a carry on first and second down. What they struggled with was downfield passing where Clemson's DL could speed rush the QB. When Tua was going for quick slants, he was able to effectively pass against them. Play calling was terrible for Bama last night and greatly contributed to the loss.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
The pendulum does seem to swinging back to a more "wide open" offensive paradigm. The fun n' gun may never return, to the SEC at least, but a flexible RPO concept featuring a viable downfield passing game is already looking like the successor to the "ground and pound."

And the Saban edge is slipping....

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
And yet: Bama was able to run at will last night and was getting like 7-8 yards a carry on first and second down. What they struggled with was downfield passing where Clemson's DL could speed rush the QB. When Tua was going for quick slants, he was able to effectively pass against them. Play calling was terrible for Bama last night and greatly contributed to the loss.

playcalling was bad, but Tau also seemed to panic after the second pick and start looking for big plays instead of the short stuff to keep drives alive.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Give me a balanced offensive attack that INCLUDES the great equalizer in CFB....A QB who is an effective runner when need be to offset blitzing and tight man coverages...a sound running game to tighten up the defense and wear them down physically, and a adequate passing game to space the defense out again.....manipulation of your opponent is the key....rinse and repeat.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016

Only time will tell.

Well:

1. For Saban he has finally had an offense and seemingly gets his butt kicked this year and lost at Auburn last year. I would not at all be surprised to see him retrench to more of a defense/special teams focus.

2. For everyone else, clearly the way Mississippi beat him a couple of times was have an offense. Similarly for Clemson two recent playoff games. So I suspect you might be right that others will try to beat Saban/UAL rather than copy them going forward.

3. As for it being UAL's 2009, that would depend on Saban throwing in the towel and the UAL AD having a hiring run like Foley.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Well Saban has finally embraced a high powered offensive attack and he was one of the last high profile holdouts. Ironically it didn't save him in his first championship game after running it all season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.