It's a pretty big 'What if?'

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
It's not quite the same situation because he was an interim coach, but do you remember what Ed Orgeron did for USC in that 9 game stretch after the Kiffin firing? He had that team rolling and the fans going nuts.

Then they told him, thanks but no thanks. We don't think you're the right man for the future of the program.

He was pissed, but that's life. Zook won some decent games on his way out as well.

TallyGator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We have a recent history of making bad teams look good. The fact that Georgia melted down is something no one can explain. The entire game changed on one play...the fake field goal. Prior to that they were jamming it down our throats. If the fake field goal fails, we lose the little momentum we had and they continue to jam it down our throats...outcome of the game would have been totally different. So...one play and the kids took advantage of it. Proud of them, but it also shows the fragile nature of the team. No such breaks against Missouri and we sank into the abyss.

I believe that he has been told he will not be retained. He is acting differently and talking differently. He coached no differently...and that says it all.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n97627 said:
Because it's already been done. If Foley has a brain he'll make sure to make that fact public BEFORE the FSU game. I think he will.

I know you have your sources, but I just don't see it happening. If Muschamp wins out I don't see how Foley fires him. It would make the UF job less appealing if Foley fired Muschamp after a 5 game winning streak that included beating UGA and winning at FSU.

I would believe that Foley told Muschamp if you don't win out you are done, but I don't think he has put himself in the position of having to fire him if he does win out, but then again... I don't know who your sources are

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
1. This "what-if" game is only for entertainment purposes. Decisions should be made with actual data, not predictions of success or failure. Hmmmm... sounds like what Foley's been doing all along.

2. I agree that the scenario laid out is unlikely.

3. If he wins out, especially if the team demonstrates obvious improvement on offense and no less success than we've seen on D and Special teams, I would want him back and I believe he would be back. Though, if he is fired, with or without winning out, I wouldn't argue.

4. You're not crazy and don't need to seek professional help because you see it this way.

5. I'll tell you who's crazy. Look at the people who say, not matter what, Muschamp is gone. I don't care what Ox's sources tell him, can you imagine if the Gators win out, win the SEC East, win the SEC Championship, and win their bowl game (very unlikely, but possible)? Do you really think he gets canned after a 10-3 SEC Championship winning, bowl winning season? Yeah, the 0% chance thing is dumb. Even if he's already been told that he's gone (which I don't believe for a second), they'd have another talk and negotiate an extension.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
EuroGator;n97639 said:
1. This "what-if" game is only for entertainment purposes. Decisions should be made with actual data, not predictions of success or failure. Hmmmm... sounds like what Foley's been doing all along.

3. If he wins out, especially if the team demonstrates obvious improvement on offense and no less success than we've seen on D and Special teams, I would want him back and I believe he would be back. Though, if he is fired, with or without winning out, I wouldn't argue.

4. You're not crazy and don't need to seek professional help because you see it this way.

5. I'll tell you who's crazy. Look at the people who say, not matter what, Muschamp is gone. I don't care what Ox's sources tell him, can you imagine if the Gators win out, win the SEC East, win the SEC Championship, and win their bowl game (very unlikely, but possible)? Do you really think he gets canned after a 10-3 SEC Championship winning, bowl winning season? Yeah, the 0% chance thing is dumb. Even if he's already been told that he's gone (which I don't believe for a second), they'd have another talk and negotiate an extension.

Yea, thats an impossible scenario anyhow so no worries here...

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n97627 said:
Originally posted by Gatorbreath View Post

You are missing my point. I am not saying it is going to happen. In fact, I'd bet a hefty sum that we will not run the table.

The question was, how in the world do you envision Foley whacking CWM in the extremely unlikely event we were to run the table? After beating the Clowns? On the road? Knocking them from the playoff??

C'mon, man.

Because it's already been done. If Foley has a brain he'll make sure to make that fact public BEFORE the FSU game. I think he will.

Easy, brother. No need to shout.

In that event, because I think I'd enjoy watching a grown man dance barefoot on open flames (and because I always want to see us win), I hope we do run the table. Foley deserves the drama that'd bring for subjecting us to this year.

If you're right, and if CWM runs the table, Foley may have backed himself into a bit of a corner. He's going to look like a human pretzel with all the contortions he'll tie himself up into explaining retaining a 4-8 coach while whacking an 8-3 one (that beat its 3 biggest rivals, 2 on the road while knocking 1 from the playoff). Just sayin'...

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
UF could raise one hell of a lot of money for charity by auctioning off ten tomatoes that could be thrown at Muschamp without repercussions as he walks (or perhaps runs) out of his final press conference.

The bidding would be epic for that opportunity. Probably raise 8 figures. Hell, maybe they could forget the charity part and use that money for the buyout!

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n97457 said:
Our first feel good game in 4 years!

Other than that throttling of SC in 2012.

Yeah, others have said it, but I think this is bull. Here's my list - not as long as it ought to be, with many feel-very-bad games mixed in - but certainly not only one.

aTm
UTooth
Kentuky
LSWho?
Vandy
USCe
FSUcks

UTooth
ArKansas

E Michigan
Georgia

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
EuroGator;n97639 said:

:exactly:

Though I'm not sure about the extension part. Fool me once....

While a fun debate I think I'd enjoy even more over beers and in person, this ain't gonna happen, especially the speculation about us backing into the East and winning the SECCG. And besides, whoever represents the East is going to wish they finished second when the West champ gets finished with them - whoever that may be.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
And damn all of you. Stop distracting me so I can get some work done!

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n97648 said:
UF could raise one hell of a lot of money for charity by auctioning off ten tomatoes that could be thrown at Muschamp without repercussions as he walks (or perhaps runs) out of his final press conference.

The bidding would be epic for that opportunity. Probably raise 8 figures. Hell, maybe they could forget the charity part and use that money for the buyout!

I think Muschamp would be pretty safe. Most guys who'd opt for something like that probably throw like girls.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
gatormandan;n97646 said:
Yea, thats an impossible scenario anyhow so no worries here...

The point of this thread is to discuss an unlikely positive outcome.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gatorbreath;n97658 said:
And damn all of you. Stop distracting me so I can get some work done!

:dance2::dance2::dance2::dance2::dance2:

Hey! Read this! Hey! Gatorbreath! Read this!!

:proud:

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
divits;n97661 said:
I think Muschamp would be pretty safe. Most guys who'd opt for something like that probably throw like girls.

I dunno, most aholes I've met seem to be the Doug Johnson type over the Richard Simmons type. The good news for Muschamp is that the Doug Johnson type has a hard time with accuracy.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Man, sometimes modern culture sucks. People use to be able to throw tomatoes and rotten produce to express themselves at entertainment events. Why can't we still do this?

Considering their size and how easily they could be gripped, it made sense that tomatoes would eventually make it to the main stage. The first reference to throwing these rotten vegetables at bad stage acts came in an 1883 New York Times article after John Ritchie was hit with a barrage of tomatoes and rotten eggs by an unpleasant audience in New York. "[A] large tomato thrown from the gallery struck him square between the eyes and he fell to the stage floor just as several bad eggs dropped upon his head."

Obviously, tomato throwing stands as a form of audience participation that's unacceptable by modern standards. But social norms throughout history meant audiences could convey their opinions, whether good or bad. Today, theater-goers typically sit quietly as if watching a movie, but before other forms of entertainment were available a rowdy crowd chanted, booed and -- occasionally -- threw rotten produce.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I want to see produce being thrown at press conferences, for starters.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
EuroGator;n97650 said:
Yeah, others have said it, but I think this is bull. Here's my list - not as long as it ought to be, with many feel-very-bad games mixed in - but certainly not only one.

aTm
UTooth
Kentuky
LSWho?
Vandy
USCe
FSUcks

UTooth
ArKansas

E Michigan
Georgia

24-7 UF at Kentucky 2013? Tyler Murphy's first SEC start and Matt Jones rushing for 176 yards. I think most people believe that was a pretty good feeling win.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n97685 said:
Man, sometimes modern culture sucks. People use to be able to throw tomatoes and rotten produce to express themselves at entertainment events. Why can't we still do this?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I want to see produce being thrown at press conferences, for starters.

If we're going to have produce being thrown at press conferences, I'd hope it's the coaches throwing the tomatoes at the reporters asking idiotic questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator