Gator Baseball It's Opening Night Guys and Gals!

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
UF wins 10-0.

1. I think the most important stat is the bullpen. After 6 innings of work, they have allowed 0 runs and I think 0 hits. I'd have to check the box score.

2. We have an excellent offense which will put up a ton of runs. I don't know if we are this good, or Marshall can't pitch. Our discipline at the plate got to a few guys and they started to over pitch.

3. @FireFoley You mentioned Greenfield in your post. The analyst for the game gushed over the way he was catching. According to him, he was getting us a few strikes because of the way he caught the ball. He certainly did in the last inning.

4. Our SS has range and a nice arm. We should be solid there this year.

5. Kirby McMullen has a great eye. He has walked 4 times in 2 games. He is a hard out every time he steps up to the plate.

6. Our 2 freshman studs pitched in the 8th and 9th innings. Barco was filthy, getting 3 outs in 4 pitches. Sprout was filthy as well, but was trying to through a strikeout on every pitch. So, he was as wild as can be. His stuff should be illegal. He just needs control.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
UF wins 10-0.

1. I think the most important stat is the bullpen. After 6 innings of work, they have allowed 0 runs and I think 0 hits. I'd have to check the box score.

2. We have an excellent offense which will put up a ton of runs. I don't know if we are this good, or Marshall can't pitch. Our discipline at the plate got to a few guys and they started to over pitch.

3. @FireFoley You mentioned Greenfield in your post. The analyst for the game gushed over the way he was catching. According to him, he was getting us a few strikes because of the way he caught the ball. He certainly did in the last inning.

4. Our SS has range and a nice arm. We should be solid there this year.

5. Kirby McMullen has a great eye. He has walked 4 times in 2 games. He is a hard out every time he steps up to the plate.

6. Our 2 freshman studs pitched in the 8th and 9th innings. Barco was filthy, getting 3 outs in 4 pitches. Sprout was filthy as well, but was trying to through a strikeout on every pitch. So, he was as wild as can be. His stuff should be illegal. He just needs control.

Nice info. I am not at the games but I am not downplaying anything, but Marshall is horrendous but you can only control what you can control. Nice that those 2 top frosh pitchers had good outings in their first appearance. In regard to the catching, it was mentioned how well Matt Damon had improved defensively in the summer league and the reason he played catcher all last year was b/c of his bat. He is a terrible defensive catcher. I saw Greenfield before his first season in spring ball and again in his second year. Before I new his name I asked Sully who the catcher was that had a cannon for an arm. It was Greenfiled. Problem has been is he can't hit at all, which is why he has had almost zero playing time his first 2 years. Good to hear about the SS b/c McConnell was very disappointing defensively when he was here, and that was supposed to be his strength coming out of high school. We have plenty of depth, but when we get into real competition I am worried about our defense at 1B and 3B. MacMullen has been mostly a PH and Pitcher for 3 years. He can't pitch at all but man he has been awesome as a pinch hitter. Perhaps he will be the strater at 3B for his bat and they will have a defensive replacement late in games if it shows he lacks in that area. Way too early to tell b/c he has not played 3B here. Same with Armstrong at 1B. We can play Damon or Calilao at 1B as well as probably 3 other guys.

maheo30

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
@FireFoley Mashall isn't bad at the plate. But, I do get the feeling their pitching is awful. Greenfield has hit the ball the first 2 games. He is 3-7 with 2 RBIs and a walk. He is making good contact.

Rivera is a significant upgrade on defense. Will he continue to hit when we start playing real competition?

I don't know enough about baseball to know how god Kris armstrong has been at 1B. He had en error today. Rivera made a great play and gunned it. Armstrong came off the bag. For some reason, he really stretched out for the ball when he didn't have to. It was odd.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
UF is in the NCAA and the SEC with different objectives, priorities and purposes than the NFL. This is not new. NCAA and SEC members always have and always will accommodate and fund a full range of college athletics. The concepts and principles of college athletics and how they differ from professional leagues is really not that difficult to understand.
Actually it's real hard to understand. Football pays the bills. Millions of Gator fans and I bet 99% couldn't name a player on the baseball team or who the coach is. But still, football money is building Baseball a Taj Mahal for it's few thousand friends and family to sit in luxury. A stadium that will never be seated to capacity. But that's not good enough for baseball. They have to have it now. They can't say "hey, thank you very much, we'll go play off campus for a season so you can get started on the football all-in-one that is decade overdue". This Athletic Department has it's priorities 180 degrees out of wack with the fan base.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Actually it's real hard to understand. Football pays the bills. Millions of Gator fans and I bet 99% couldn't name a player on the baseball team or who the coach is. But still, football money is building Baseball a Taj Mahal for it's few thousand friends and family to sit in luxury. A stadium that will never be seated to capacity. But that's not good enough for baseball. They have to have it now. They can't say "hey, thank you very much, we'll go play off campus for a season so you can get started on the football all-in-one that is decade overdue". This Athletic Department has it's priorities 180 degrees out of wack with the fan base.

First of all, you are in denial of the reality that is the NCAA, SEC and the University of Florida not to mention that there is no facility in Alachua County that can accommodate a fraction of the fans that attend Gator baseball games. According to your model, baseball would not exist in the SEC or anywhere in the NCAA. Football is and always has been the cash cow of every school. You really sound like a 12 year old unable to come to terms with the reality.

maheo30

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Nick Pogue is picking right up where he left off last season. 5 runs in 1.1 innings pitched. If he is our Sunday starter, we are fubared. He is at 50 pitches in the first 2 innings.

maheo30

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Christian Scott is now pitching. Hope he can look better than Pogue who didn't get shelled because of poor location. His stuff just isn't that good.

maheo30

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Christian Scott replaced Pogue. He has pitched 2 scoreless innings. He looks excellent, retiring 5 in a
row.

UF - 5
Marshall - 5

maheo30

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Florida has scored 3 runs in the bottom of the 4th off a balk and 2 wild pitches. We are still in the 4th.

UF- 9
Marshall - 5

maheo30

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Our Sunday pitching is scary bad

The bullpen has been outstanding this series. As for the Sunday starter? Pogue got worked. I simply think his stuff is below average. He won't be the Sunday starter for long. I think Barco will get his shot on Tuesday or Wednesday. If he is as good as advertised, he'll take the Sunday spot. Then, who pitches during the week?

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
First of all, you are in denial of the reality that is the NCAA, SEC and the University of Florida not to mention that there is no facility in Alachua County that can accommodate a fraction of the fans that attend Gator baseball games. According to your model, baseball would not exist in the SEC or anywhere in the NCAA. Football is and always has been the cash cow of every school. You really sound like a 12 year old unable to come to terms with the reality.
BS. There are plenty of stadiums that will accommodate a few thousand friends and family. Hell, share the softball field. Baseball can exist without a $60M 10,000 seat Taj Mahal at the expense of the cash cow that's paying for it. For fvks sake. The 100's of baseball fans can be inconvenienced for a season.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
BS. There are plenty of stadiums that will accommodate a few thousand friends and family. Hell, share the softball field. Baseball can exist without a $60M 10,000 seat Taj Mahal at the expense of the cash cow that's paying for it. For fvks sake. The 100's of baseball fans can be inconvenienced for a season.

Yeah, they can play in the O Dome. It is college and no college in the country operates based on your business/sports model. Whining and griping will give you ulcers

maheo30

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
After the first series, I think the bullpen will be much improved this season. My main worry is who will start midweek. Assuming Barco takes the Sunday spot, who else is there? Pogue isn't a starter. He is a decent middle reliever.

The bullpen pitched 13 innings against Marshall allowing 3 earned runs. Marshall has some good hitters. This is a nice stat.

Great White Buffalo

Lifetime Member
Dec 7, 2017
After the first series, I think the bullpen will be much improved this season. My main worry is who will start midweek. Assuming Barco takes the Sunday spot, who else is there? Pogue isn't a starter. He is a decent middle reliever.

The bullpen pitched 13 innings against Marshall allowing 3 earned runs. Marshall has some good hitters. This is a nice stat.
I suspect we've got someone who can give us a few decent starts in midweek games, and piecemeal the rest together knowing we can outscore teams if the offense progresses as expected. Winning weekend series carries a lot more weight than midweek games.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I was out there Sunday and it was our typical opening weekend opponent. Marshall's pitching is little league which I thought. Matt Damon started at 1B and hit 2 dingers. We have lots of options at 1B and 3B but Kirby is not comfortable defensively at all. Misplayed 2 balls badly, but Kirbs is hitting the ball well now. Not going to make much of Pogue as he was developing late last season and as always the weekend rotation will be fluid. If healthy I suspect Mace and Leftwich to remain but one of those frosh will probably fill out the 3rd spot if they develop to their talent. Much different next weekend when we head to scrotUM who happens to have probably their best team in the last decade. Will face real college pitchers and looking forward to how some of the young guys frosh and sophs react to that environment.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Yeah, they can play in the O Dome. It is college and no college in the country operates based on your business/sports model. Whining and griping will give you ulcers
Tell that to
Clemson
Alabama
Georgia
TAM
LSU
OSU
South Carolina
Oklahoma
Tennesee
etc etc etc
who figured out how to do it.
Meanwhile for the last 10 years all we've got is empty promises.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.