It's time to officially fire up the head coaching search. Who you got?

Atlgator98

Nov 2, 2019
Urban Meyer. He would absolutely take the job back, there is no doubt in my mind.
Don’t get me started on UM. I’m in the minority in Gator Nation who appreciates the 2 titles and would spoon him if given the chance for the joy he brought me in the 06-08 years. But I believe in Mullen. He’s long term. He’ll figure out recruiting. It’s no mystery to him that he’s gotta fix it. And he’s mentally more stable than UM.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I was expecting us to compete. We did, sort of. We made a ton of silly mistakes. The quarterback took a 19-yard loss on first down. We remain middle of the pack SEC on the LOS, both sides of the ball, which is problem #1. We totaled 21 rushing yards. That’s not good.

Today was another example of not being able to disrupt a passer running a quick-hit rhythm offense. Burrow blew us up. Fromm wasn’t as dangerous, but he got the job done. Our backers and secondary continue to look lost covering people in the middle of the field, which only adds to the dilemma of whether you bring more heat or lay back.

The result was better than a year ago, marginally better. The default quarterback is better. The talent gap remains. We all want a greater ascent. That’s not going to happen with Mullen. It’s going to be incremental and painfully slow, probably too slow for most Gator fans.

We knew this was a risk coming in with Mullen.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Who you gonna get?? The “fire the coach mentality” is sooo friggin stupid. Mullen checks all the boxes except recruiting. Give it a chance. I wanted Frost. I wanted Kelly. But I was a damn idiot because they fuuuuugin suck. Mullen is the right guy. Fix recruiting and we’re back. Fire him and we’re looking at 2 lost decades minimum.
We have 2 lost decades already. The Muschimp/McElstain/Mullinz era are one and the same. We are an elite coach and three great recruiting classes from competing again.

Mullin isn't going to fix recruiting. He is a fvkking terrible recruiter and always has been. That doesn't just change just because you want to change it. Some dudes can seal the deal and he can't.

It isn't that he thinks he doesn't need talent. We spend most of the year trying to flip the elite kids then settle on plan Fs late in the game. He just can't seal the deal.

Fishon

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Because it was a serious statement you made, not a joke, and I'm tired of that particular take. Quit playing it off like you were making a joke. Stand by your retarded words.
oh, you're a mind reader now? ****ing a ox. you should do a little self-searching and figure out why that triggered you so much.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
I'm just venting. I'll keep watching and rooting, but the expectations need to be permanently lowered. Thanks Foley.
Sums it up. And CDM is the best coach we can hope for with lowered expectations. At least he’ll keep us at the upper limit of our artificially capped potential. Could be worse - haven’t forgotten Mac or Chimp, right?

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Urban Meyer. He would absolutely take the job back, there is no doubt in my mind.
I really wish Urbs would call him and tell him what to do to go from good to elite. Hire good assistants that are elite recruiters and retain just enough “really good coaches” for game planning.

no1g8r

Bringing Reason to the dumb masses
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2017
We have 2 lost decades already. The Muschimp/McElstain/Mullinz era are one and the same. We are an elite coach and three great recruiting classes from competing again.

2 decades ago would be 1999. We’ve won 2 national championships since then. I’ll give you a decade, but not 2.

JCTow

Nov 16, 2017
Don’t get me started on UM. I’m in the minority in Gator Nation who appreciates the 2 titles and would spoon him if given the chance for the joy he brought me in the 06-08 years. But I believe in Mullen. He’s long term. He’ll figure out recruiting. It’s no mystery to him that he’s gotta fix it. And he’s mentally more stable than UM.
I like this post, except for the spooning part :eek2:

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014

I hope you are correct, b/c if he does figure out recruiting then we can get the definitive answer. Those of us who never wanted Cousin Eddie from the beginning b/c I personally think he is terrible at game management and attention to detail. I just do not think he has the ability to rise to the level of elite. But if the talent comes and we stay the same then he would be just another Zook and we will be in a worse spot.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Actually I did not say that about Meyer but I did not say he was a sure thing either. I had no idea he would win 2. Also I was agnostic to the Scrat hiring, I thought maybe he would be okay. He was not. But since you have not been here for as long as many of us you really don;t know where we stand or where we stood. I politely ask you not make assumptions and allow us who watch things quite objectively to opine. It also took me 3/4 into Butters first season to say he was a moron. I think my assessments are usually quite correct and usually earlier than most. IMO Cousin Eddie had a much longer resume for me to have formed my own views of him prior to his arrival here.
Invitation declined but appreciate the cordiality. I’ve been around long enough to see your pattern - know it all guy who says lots of stuff then pops in only to point out when he’s right. When you’re called out, you demur. Tiger don’t change its stripes.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Was it the offensive game plan or execution? Moved pretty well but then shot ourselves in the foot. We burned two timeouts on the first drive because of people not knowing assignments. Had again later. Unaccceptable on the coaches and players but that’s more prep and execution than scheme.

It was both. When you rush for 21 yards and are 2 of 9 on 3rd down conversions (at least one of those 2 conversions was only because of a penalty on UGA) your execution and your scheme suck badly.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
No we didn't. We were never in the game.

Them giving us a slop time TD to trade one score for 7 minutes of gameclock isn't being competitive.
We were 1 inch from deflecting that pass on 3rd and 7. Not saying we score to tie but we’re driving with a chance. Wish Grantham would’ve chosen that moment to earn his paycheck but oh well.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
This. Thank you. Miami and fsu are worse than they have ever been in decades and our recruiting got ZERO bump out of it. I'm not sure why it took a Georgia loss where we were the underdog anyway to start realizing that we still are not headed to elite status but I guess better late than never.
Plenty of people think talent doesn't matter and ole Cousin Eddie will coach em up to championships.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
No we didn't. We were never in the game.

Them giving us a slop time TD to trade one score for 7 minutes of gameclock isn't being competitive.

I felt we were close enough at the half, trailing by 10, that we could make it a game in the second half if things went our way. It never materialized. You’re not going to beat quality SEC teams with a one-dimensional offense.

That call on their receiver maintaining possession definitely didn’t help. It was a terrible call and led to a score.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
It was both. When you rush for 21 yards and are 2 of 9 on 3rd down conversions (at least one of those 2 conversions was only because of a penalty on UGA) your execution and your scheme suck badly.
Fair. Frustrating game all around that we very well could have won.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We were 1 inch from deflecting that pass on 3rd and 7. Not saying we score to tie but we’re driving with a chance. Wish Grantham would’ve chosen that moment to earn his paycheck but oh well.
Sure. If we deflected a pass or if Jordan Reed would have not fumbled, we would have scored, then scored 2 extra point to win. Right on, Skipper!

Never mind we couldn't score all day, it would have changed completely if we had just tipped a pass or onside kicked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator