Jacksonville City Council defeats Jaguars’ Lot J deal; one step closer to London move

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Seriously, if you ever owned a Triumph car, you’d know what I mean about Lucas Electronics. The epitome of unreliable.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You wouldn’t get it. You drive Subarus.
reminds me, I got in this Subaru once, a new junior associate had it and was all two fast two furious over it.

Probably 2004 or so. It was a six speed WRX and he was telling me how it's faster than 911 or whatever, does 0-60 in a split second and goes 0-1,000,000 in only 3 seconds and blah blah blah blah.

I said, Porsches get you laid. What does a Subaru get you? he shut up.

I think the answer is free drinks from @BNAG8R. Or at least a cigar.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
reminds me, I got in this Subaru once, a new junior associate had it and was all two fast two furious over it.

Probably 2004 or so. It was a six speed WRX and he was telling me how it's faster than 911 or whatever, does 0-60 in a split second and goes 0-1,000,000 in only 3 seconds and blah blah blah blah.

I said, Porsches get you laid. What does a Subaru get you? he shut up.

I think the answer is free drinks from @BNAG8R. Or at least a cigar.

That’s pretty funny. I was shopping for an SUV for my wife. I was driving a beat up Carrera. I pulled up to the Subaru dealer. First thing out of the salesman’s mouth: That STI over there will outrun your 911. I looked over at the box with the oversized boy racer wing he was referring to. I’d never even heard of the car let alone seen one.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Subbies are great for mountain snow all wheel drive vehicles. That’s it.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Seriously, if you ever owned a Triumph car, you’d know what I mean about Lucas Electronics. The epitome of unreliable.
I had a girl friend with a Triump and her friend, I suppose you could say was also my girlfriend intermittently, had an MG. Fuchs Lucas. And one replaced her Triump with an old ass BMW which I swear had Lucas garbage in it. I thought all BMWs had Bosch?

Juice wasn't worth the squeeze.

Well, the juice was pretty good and back then I didn't mind any amount of squeeze.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Prepare yourselves for four months of "is Lawrence actually good, maybe Fields is better" and "Jaguars don't deserve the #1 pick".

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
That hurts. I thought we was boys.

For all of the criticism I've taken in this thread, I've noticed no one has bothered to argue the merits - that the Jags suck balls, that Jax is not real NFL city, and that putting grown men with zillions of dollars and IQs and impulse control of 7th graders in a city with rampant sports wagering and legalized prostitution is probably not a good idea.

Although I agree that Jax shouldn’t have an NFL team based upon the overall demographics, your comparison to other cities is misguided at best.

I would happily live in Jax long before I would live in sh!thole cities like:
Philadelphia
New York
Cincinnati
Cleveland
Detroit
Washington DC
Los Angeles
San Francisco
Oakland

I could go on but you get the idea.
Many of the larger cities in America are really cool to visit and seem like great places to live until you actually live there and have your eyes opened.

The quality of life in Jax is ten times better based upon my experience in Jax as well as some of the cities I listed and I guarantee you that a kid from rural Georgia would agree.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
What stadium? He tried to buy Wembley but was completely rejected by the Football Association Council. He needs close to a unanimous agreement by the council. As of right now, he is at 70% against him buying Wembley. He isn't well liked in Europe.

And while the attendance for the games in London is usually sold out, the tv ratings are an absolute joke even though the NFL has spent massive amounts of money to get on prime channels. Still, no one watches. And the papers there have consistently said that the reason for the crowds is the novelty. Every paper has written that if a team is there for 8 games, that attendance is cut in half if not more. Brits simply don't care enough about American football. And we haven't even gotten to the players' association yet. They hate the idea.

Yet another example of how the brits are smarter than many Americans.
At least they recognize a scam when they see one.

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
I would happily live in Jax long before I would live in sh!thole cities like:
Philadelphia
New York
Cincinnati
Cleveland
Detroit
Washington DC
Los Angeles
San Francisco
Oakland
Miami, New Orleans, Buffalo, Houston, LA, Green Bay/Milwaukee, Minneapolis.....

Jax ain’t that bad, especially w/ no income tax

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Jacksonville City Council defeats Jaguars' Lot J deal - ProFootballTalk

Jaguars owner Shad Khan presumably won’t be happy about the development. In October, he made crystal clear his belief that the Lot J proposal was critical to the growth of Jacksonville.

“Jacksonville’s ceiling is high — remarkably so; that’s particularly true here in downtown,” Khan said at the time. “It’s imperative that we have the ambition and the vision to answer this calling once and for all. If Jacksonville is to be everything we can be, this project is just the beginning and it’s time we begin.”

It won’t be beginning. And it could impact in a negative way the relationship between city and team.

“This is part of our commitment to the city of Jacksonville — to have a vital downtown,” Khan said in October. “I said this eight years ago when I was introduced as owner of the Jaguars, that I was going to look for every way to make NFL football viable here. This is just one part of the strategy.”

That part of the strategy has been scrapped. Lamping said that the team will focus on development in the shipyards.

Outsiders will now fairly wonder whether the team will focus instead on playing more of its games in London.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Justin Fields has the IQ of a set of Christmas tree ornaments. I cringe imagining him facing NFL defenses.

From ESPN:

Mel Kiper Jr. and Todd McShay both voiced their opinions that Justin Fields would be benefit from returning to Ohio State in 2021.

"I think going back to Ohio State for another year, as opposed to coming into the NFL without the momentum from having a great season like he did two years ago, (he can) right things," Kiper said on ESPN's draft podcast. "He can work on things fundamentally. I think it’s worth a minute or two discussion as to whether Fields would be better off going back to Ohio State for the 2021 season."

"You want to have success in the league. I think Mel’s right," McShay said. "You don’t think (a return to college) is going to happen but I think Mel is exactly right. … He’s not there yet. If you study film and you know what you’re talking about and you know how to identify what quarterbacks are looking for and you know defensive coverages and you know how to get off your primary to secondary to third target, you can see that he’s not there yet."

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
First: Who care about the NFL?
Second: When St. Louis and San Diego cat keep a team what chance does Jax have
Third: The only thing that saved N.O. was Katrina and people like to party in N.O.
Fourth: Jax will always struggle...The place for them was Orlando or San Antonio

But again, in this environment, I can't see Jax surviving.

Uncle Rob

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2016
The Prince of Darkness
Why the British drink their beer warm (Lucas makes their refrigerators)
Never bombed by the Germans (they considered Lucas an ally)

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
QamSW7S.gif

Just the first step in a multiyear strategy to make the Jags the worst football team on every continent.

The Lateral Move

Oct 9, 2018
Fourth: Jax will always struggle...The place for them was Orlando or San Antonio

But again, in this environment, I can't see Jax surviving.

Borelando? Borelando ain't got **** on Actionville

In all seriousness, it seems a bit too close to Tampa.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
London is out of the question. After the city’s complete screwup in the Lot J situation, I could see Khan moving elsewhere. San Antonio? Mexico City has been mentioned more than London and is actually doable unlike London. For San Antonio, you would just need the owners approval. London requires collective bargaining with the NFLPA who hates the London idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator