Jags finally throw in the towel on Blake Bortles

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
They hinged their hopes on fournette and it worked last year. After he pulled that hammy this year bortles was totally exposed behind a shredded OL. A good QB wouldn’t have crumbled so badly though and it’s time to cut the cord so we can have an offense with a semblance of balance. Run only is suicide.
That's true.
I'm not trying to say all the blame is on Bortles. But it's impossible for the coach and GM to predict this precipitous fall by the defense. For that, I'm not blaming them for that. They also couldn't predict the offensive line being decimated by injuries. But the QB position was well in their control and they dropped the ball. They knew exactly what they had. And like I told my buddy, I'm fine with them wanting to give Blake every opportunity to be the team's starting QB. He did have them one game from the Super Bowl. But to not have a serviceable insurance policy lined up is beyond flagrant, to me.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
That's true.
I'm not trying to say all the blame is on Bortles. But it's impossible for the coach and GM to predict this precipitous fall by the defense. For that, I'm not blaming them for that. They also couldn't predict the offensive line being decimated by injuries. But the QB position was well in their control and they dropped the ball. They knew exactly what they had. And like I told my buddy, I'm fine with them wanting to give Blake every opportunity to be the team's starting QB. He did have them one game from the Super Bowl. But to not have a serviceable insurance policy lined up is beyond flagrant, to me.

Not only that--but to give him a massive contract extension in the offseason on the basis of him having 2 good games in the postseason (Pittsburgh and NE) just reeks of utter incompetence all the way around.

Glad he actually looked like an NFL QB for once in his career---but he struggled against the Bills in the playoffs last year and in most every game of last season too. The Jags won based on the running game and a lock-down defense, not really anything Bortles did as a QB (with the ONE exception of the Pittsburgh game in the playoffs). Awarding him a massive contract on 1.5 decent games as a functioning NFL QB...and then not having budget or cap space to sign a capable backup is the most Jaguar thing I can think of.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The prospect of playing Cody Kessler was just too good to pass up. @divits is going to be upset.

Jaguars bench QB Bortles hours after firing OC

Discuss.
Bortles will do fine. He'll get another chance somewhere. If not he'll be a backup and hang around the league for a while collecting easy checks. Just like Driskell.

There are 7.5 billion people in the world. There are only 100 NFL quarterbacks in the world. 2 of those 100 quarterbacks are from little old Oviedo, Florida. So suck it.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Bortles will do fine. He'll get another chance somewhere. If not he'll be a backup and hang around the league for a while collecting easy checks. Just like Driskell.

There are 7.5 billion people in the world. There are only 100 NFL quarterbacks in the world. 2 of those 100 quarterbacks are from little old Oviedo, Florida. So suck it.
I didn't realize the argument that was had about him a few years ago was about his salary.

Chase Daniel has made 26 million dollars in the NFL. These guys "doing fine" in the wallet has never been debated.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I didn't realize the argument that was had about him a few years ago was about his salary.

Chase Daniel has made 26 million dollars in the NFL. These guys "doing fine" in the wallet has never been debated.
I said he'll get another chance somewhere.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I may actually watch some NFL just for the entertainment of seeing Jeff Dipshytskel trying to read an NFL defense. 4-6 turnovers no doubt. I wonder how long before the Bungles panic or if they just ride him into the dirt.

MADGator

This space intentionally left blank
Jan 28, 2015

I wasn’t totally paying attention but I am pretty sure I heard the Wads are still on the hook with him for $12.6m.

That plus the Lemon Bar in Atlantic Beach should sooth any hurt.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Daniel was near-flawless subbing for injured Mitch Trubisky on Thanksgiving. As much as Mitch runs the ball, the Bears probably don't mind paying the $4M insurance policy.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

There will be some coach who things he can fix Bortles, he will get some money from some where.

QueenCityGator

University of Florida Alumnus
Aug 12, 2014
Anybody watch The Good Place? It’s funny how the “dunce” character is obsessed with the Jaguars and Bortles.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
As long as they have the swimming pool in the stadium, they’re winners. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online