Jags fire Urban Meyer

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
He let the inmates, well, future inmate, run the zoo while at UF,, worked out ok, ,and with the record they have now,, let it run to see what happens.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
urban-meyer-sad-pizza.gif

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018

OBG

Lifetime Member
Nov 14, 2017
That staff hasn't liked JRob from the beginning. They've mishandled him the entire time since they've been there. Dude only had 1300+ yards as a rookie and has been their best player on offense the past two seasons. Yet I think Urbs has it in his head that JRob was a lowly ranked recruit that went to Illinois St, so he's not giving the dude his due.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
That staff hasn't liked JRob from the beginning. They've mishandled him the entire time since they've been there. Dude only had 1300+ yards as a rookie and has been their best player on offense the past two seasons. Yet I think Urbs has it in his head that JRob was a lowly ranked recruit that went to Illinois St, so he's not giving the dude his due.

Completely agree. This team doesn’t have much at all and Robinson is one of the few. He’s young but talented. Urban can be hard headed at times.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Calling Dr. Mullen, Dr. Mullen....chest pains in room 2.

upload_2021-12-9_19-19-2.jpeg

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Not really; who is in the stronger position and guaranteed to be there next year and the year after? Given his early season shenanigans, Urbs is on thin ice and knows it.
Thin Ice? It's worse than that. I heard he was giving Cayman Nebraska a tongue lashing the other night and he ended up in deep shlt.

DeltaGlamma

Born a Gator
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
So far Urbs has been a disappointment. He is not the same CEO style coach he was at UF. I sure do hope he adjusts quickly or he will not last, even with this awful Jags team.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Why is Meyer in trouble already? It is not as though he inherited a winning team with a solid roster and tanked the franchise.

DeltaGlamma

Born a Gator
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
Team is getting worse as time passes, you would expect at least some improvement at this point. Not saying he is going to get canned this year, but he needs to figure things out asap. He needs to get some WRs for Trevor!

He is no longer the micro manager he used to be and seemingly cannot answer questions, instead saying he will have to check with the position coaches about issues. Perhaps he is deflecting rather than admitting the truth (i.e., he doesn't think Robinson is good enough).

So far not a good look and not what anyone was expecting at this point.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
He is not the same CEO style coach he was at UF.
Im not convinced this is true, and I'd say there's a fair chance that he IS the same style and that is at least part of the reason it isnt working.

He was a master manipulator of kids in highschool/college. He was relentless with kids he was recruiting and promised them the world. Then, once on campus he was very different with them but used a lot of psychological tactics to get them motivated to perform. Because they were in college and he held their college and pro prospects in his hands, kids played hard for him despite not liking him, and because they were very talented, we saw a lot of wins. But none of that really translates in the pros.

He cant step on the field and be better physically then most every team due to his recruiting chops. There is no crootin; thats a huge advantage he had that is eliminated. On top of that, the psychological games and ability to get players to perform out of fear is basically out as well. These guys are adults, all with contracts, and most getting paid more than he is. In college you address your HC as Coach or Coach XXX, or Sir. In the pros you call him Bob, or Jim, etc. It's just different, there's no power you really hold over them and without his crootin prowess to be leveraged for his advantage, hes just a meh guy. There are some exceptions to the psychological gamesmanship in the NFL - belicheck being a prime example, but it isnt the norm and usually doesnt work out. It didnt for belicheck until a guy named Tom came along. So was it really that, or something else?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb