Jags fire Urban Meyer

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It struck me as odd that Meyer would throw that much shade at his assistants. As if calling them a bunch of losers was to going to motivate a turnaround. It sounded the opposite, that there was a definite strife going on in the background and he’d given up on making it work.

There was a lot of noise (obviously). Meyer was so used to the college game where there is 130+ teams that get coverage, it's nothing like the pressure and media of only 32 teams at the top level. He wasn't going to have the most talented team in the conference. The things that make him a great college coach, hurt him in the NFL. The pressure and his own expectations were breaking him apart.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
One of the dangers of taking an NFL job with a bad team is that they not only lack talent a little (the draft means only a little) they may be a bad franchise with bad ownership. There is no owners draft to make the ownership gaps small. So some franchise are bad year after year even perhaps for a generation until one generation of ownership dies and another takes their place, see Detroit, the Jets etc.

Jacksonville seems to be one of these franchises now. That an owner would dump a new coach in his first season is exhibit F that Jacksonville is just a bad franchise now. I am not a huge Meyer fan, but firing Meyer is no evidence on him in the NFL, but strong evidence of how bad a franchise Jacksonville is. There are plenty of earlier exhibits too like Ramsey bailing on them etc. I would not expect this franchise to be any good until there is a change in ownership.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
One of the dangers of taking an NFL job with a bad team is that they not only lack talent a little (the draft means only a little) they may be a bad franchise with bad ownership. There is no owners draft to make the ownership gaps small. So some franchise are bad year after year even perhaps for a generation until one generation of ownership dies and another takes their place, see Detroit, the Jets etc.

Jacksonville seems to be one of these franchises now. That an owner would dump a new coach in his first season is exhibit F that Jacksonville is just a bad franchise now. I am not a huge Meyer fan, but firing Meyer is no evidence on him in the NFL, but strong evidence of how bad a franchise Jacksonville is. There are plenty of earlier exhibits too like Ramsey bailing on them etc. I would not expect this franchise to be any good until there is a change in ownership.
I'm generally in agreement that dumping a coach in his first season from a job that was in the dumper when he showed up is bad business, but in this case? Seriously? Meyer absolutely deserved to be fired for cause, he was practically begging for it.

Last edited:

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I'm generally in agreement that dumping a coach in his first season from a job that was in the dumper when he showed up is bad business, but in this case? Seriously? Meyer absolutely deserved to fired for cause, he was practically begging for it.
Yeah, I think the losing sent him over the edge. The guy gets physically ill after every loss. He checked out.

LoyalGatorFan

Lifetime Member
Jul 10, 2019
I was at the game Sunday and one thing is clear. We are no better without Urban.

Receivers don't get open, or they do and Lawrence doesn't see them, or he does but we commit a penalty, or the receiver drops it, or he gets sacked....we are last in offense for a reason

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I was at the game Sunday and one thing is clear. We are no better without Urban.

Receivers don't get open, or they do and Lawrence doesn't see them, or he does but we commit a penalty, or the receiver drops it, or he gets sacked....we are last in offense for a reason
Worst roster in the league by a mile on offense.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
I'm generally in agreement that dumping a coach in his first season from a job that was in the dumper when he showed up is bad business, but in this case? Seriously? Meyer absolutely deserved to be fired for cause, he was practically begging for it.
I was thinking the same thing. The excuses are really flying now in this thread. Despite the fact that you are what your record says you are, Meyer was also demonstrating Numbnuts level of dooshbaggery. If anything they waited too long to fire him. Like I said before, literally one of the worst if not the worst college to NFL efforts in history.

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
Right
Urbs did no favors for himself. He could have been open and close to the players while taking the losses and won a couple games. His leash would have been at least three years.

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
I agree Jax needs a complete detox as a franchise and this chapter just cratered the organization.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
The problem is simple. Their draft record sucks. In one year and one year only they scored big time in the free agent market, which is always hard to do. Occasionally they get a good one draft or free agency. Then in two or three years the good one becomes disenchanted and leaves for another team. Is that because they're tired of losing or the front office makes a stupid decision when its contract time. More likely something is wrong in the front office. The guy making the picks and retaining good talent, whatever his title is, Head Coach, GM, Super GM or any combination thereof is a problem.

Kahn is a hands off owner. That's not necessarily a bad thing IF you have a good front office. See some of the circuses with a meddling owner. On the other hand, Kahn picks the front office.

Kahn got tired of picking the wrong HC and swung for the fences with a splash head coach hire. It was a spectacular strike out. Was he wrong to try that? Hindsight is easy. Could I have told him it was high risk high reward? Yeah. Was I sure it would be a disaster? No. IMO Meyer said all the right things going in and then melted down.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Noooooooooooooooooo!

@RapSheet: #Jaguars GM Trent Baalke will be retained and will be involved with owner Shad Khan in the search for a new HC. Baalke will continue to report to Khan and work in sync with the new head coach, who will also have a direct reporting line to Khan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb